Sponsored

2.0 or 3.6? Canceling diesel build

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I agree with the poster above in that you'll get a different answer from everyone who responds. That being said, I had the 3.6 in my JK and went with it again in my JL. To me, the Wrangler isn't a Wrangler without it. Mated to the 8 speed automatic transmission, it's the perfect combination.
We have 2 jeeps ,each with the 2.0, Im pretty sure they are Wranglers ;)
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
OP
OP
Kornpop

Kornpop

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy Silverado Z71
Theyā€™re both great motors, I donā€™t think you can make a bad choice. I drove both extensively before deciding on a 3.6 JLR. I didnā€™t like the way the 2.0 sounded and I did like the sound and smoothness of the 3.6, so thatā€™s where I wound up.
I love the sound of the v6. Whatā€™s your mpg been? Is there an etorque v6 or is that only an option on the 2.0

Sponsored

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I don't know, I'm not aware of a 2.0 odometer thread yet.

There is a 3.6 JL with over 50k, so I can make a guess that there could be a 2.0 with roughly the same mileage. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/how-may-miles-on-your-3-6.46807/#post-1027066

Would that be enough miles for carbon buildup to be an issue?
Depends on the car. Some cars are notorious for it. Audi's initial V8 (found in the B6 RS4) are notorious for it, and would be absolutely gobsmacked with carbon build-up by 30k miles. BMWs seem to suffer the issue more at around 60-80k+ miles.

Toyotas don't have this issue, but they use both port injection and direct injection combined to get around the issue.

Catch can to buy you some time, then walnut blasting of the valves every 60k miles (assuming it's not as bad as the older Audis) as part of regular maintenance. /shrug

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Is there an etorque v6 or is that only an option on the 2.0
eTorque 3.6 option is available on Sahara and Sahara Altitude models. It isn't available on the North Edition which is Sahara based, or any other model (as far as I can tell from the build site).

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Depends on the car. Some cars are notorious for it. Audi's initial V8 (found in the B6 RS4) are notorious for it, and would be absolutely gobsmacked with carbon build-up by 30k miles. BMWs seem to suffer the issue more at around 60-80k+ miles.

Toyotas don't have this issue, but they use both port injection and direct injection combined to get around the issue.

Catch can to buy you some time, then walnut blasting of the valves every 60k miles (assuming it's not as bad as the older Audis) as part of regular maintenance. /shrug
The catch cans haven't been catching much on the 2.0 https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...2-0t-catch-can-kit.27322/page-24#post-1004586

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, that's great actually. My V6 fills my UPR can every 5,000 miles to the top. Assuming that the Mishimoto and the UPR work the same, nice that the 2.0's are running a little cleaner on that side of the system.

I'd still run it because it at least caught something, but I wouldn't feel the urge to check it every 2,500 miles.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I don't understand all the love for the V6 sound. I mean, stock it's not bad, but I wouldn't describe it as good either.

Before anyone comments, I'm not saying the 2.0 sounds better.

Sponsored

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't understand all the love for the V6 sound. I mean, stock it's not bad, but I wouldn't describe it as good either.

Before anyone comments, I'm not saying the 2.0 sounds better.
Car makes virtually no engine noise (other than background/white noise, to me anyways) when stock. With a S&B intake (which I went with because it's got a sealed box design similar to OEM and it's CARB-certified so the Gestapo won't hassle me, and a dry filter that won't gunk up intake sensors) it sounds like a proper SUV, though.

Not sure I've ever heard a 4-cylinder that sounds "muscley" no matter what you do to them. They tend to sound more Honda the more you change them. /shrug

Last time I regularly dropped by these forums months ago, people were collectively complaining that they could hear noises, and just wanted a cruiser that gave them absolute silence. But individually people (like me) have separate preferences I suppose.

Only reason I personally like the V6 over the I4 turbo is because I feel like that little 4 cylinder is working awful hard, having to lug around a 5,500 lb body. The whole "no replacement for displacement" thing, and all that. I mean, I feel like the Pentastar is working pretty hard too. It's why I liked the 3.0 V6 diesel idea at all in the first place, doesn't feel like it'd be working all that hard despite lugging around a heavier 6,100 lb body. I have no statistics for this, just a feeling I got.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Not sure I've ever heard a 4-cylinder that sounds "muscley" no matter what you do to them. They tend to sound more Honda the more you change them. /shrug
Here you go:

tcorder

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Sahara
As the title says, Iā€™m cancelling my diesel build. Iā€™m still eligible to as they havenā€™t started building it. My questions is what engine do yā€™all recommend? Havenā€™t done much research into either. Im ordering the Sahara altitude with pretty much all bells and whistles. The plan is to lift it 2.5 and put either 33 or 35 tires on it. Also will be 90 percent of the time highway driving with the occasional off road on weekends. What has gas mileage been on for both? Any issues with either engine? What is the etorque option? Any input is appreciated. thanks!
I just bought the 2019 Sahara Altitude with the 4cyl... Added 33s without a lift and have no rubbing. If you add a lift I would definitely go with 35s. The 4cyl has a ton of acceleration and climbs better than my old 6cyl TJ.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Thatā€™s another good question. What altitude?
Sponsored