2.0 or 3.6? Canceling diesel build

RubiXplr

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm going to get flambayed for this, and I know that it's consistent with the Jeep ancestry, but I still have trouble with a 4-cylinder under the hood. My concern is not fact-based, it's more of an emotional reaction. We build up these bad ass Jeeps and then 4-cylinders......?

My brain says it's okay, but still. I felt the same way about the turbo sixes replacing V8s in the Ford trucks/SUVs.
I was also a believer that there's 'no replacement for displacement' but gave it some thought and tested the options [available]. Technology evolves - it's a great thing!
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to get flambayed for this, and I know that it's consistent with the Jeep ancestry, but I still have trouble with a 4-cylinder under the hood. My concern is not fact-based, it's more of an emotional reaction. We build up these bad ass Jeeps and then 4-cylinders......?

My brain says it's okay, but still. I felt the same way about the turbo sixes replacing V8s in the Ford trucks/SUVs.
Lol, actually, in the older Jeeps, the 4 was at home. I had as much fun with my 2.5 YJ as can be had in a Jeep. But, since the JK, and especially with the JL, they are bigger, heavier, and more refined, so without the turbo, the 4 would be in over its head. The turbo and DI make it a little powerhouse, but it still sounds and shakes like a 4. No way around it.

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
As the title says, I’m cancelling my diesel build. I’m still eligible to as they haven’t started building it. My questions is what engine do y’all recommend? Haven’t done much research into either. Im ordering the Sahara altitude with pretty much all bells and whistles. The plan is to lift it 2.5 and put either 33 or 35 tires on it. Also will be 90 percent of the time highway driving with the occasional off road on weekends. What has gas mileage been on for both? Any issues with either engine? What is the etorque option? Any input is appreciated. thanks!
Well, your questions definitely kicked off quite the discussion, but good on you for selecting what you want and ordering it! As so many posters have said, engine choice is definitely an individual decision based on your planned driving habits/use and expectations. Each has its own merits, and I've personally heard from owners of each that lover theirs, so good on 'em!

I have the 3.6 and have been very happy with it. I may have missed it, but only saw one other reply that actually answered your question on gas mileage. I live in San Antonio, have a Mojito! 2018 Sahara JLU approaching 18K on the mileage, and my experience thus far has been between 21-22 mpg in mixed in-town driving on freeways and streets. I'm getting 24-26 highway consistently, and once got just under 27. Obviously a strong headwind really eats into that with the box-on-wheels shape, and I definitely notice a drop-off on gas mileage once you go over ~70 mph. Obviously, even with a modern computers running things more efficiently and the box shape can only force itself through the air relatively efficiently to a point--LOL. Based on comparison with my brother's 2012 Sahara JK, though, that's pretty decent.

Bottom line: I think you made a great choice and will love it, pretty much like everyone else on here. Welcome to the family.
As the title says, I’m cancelling my diesel build. I’m still eligible to as they haven’t started building it. My questions is what engine do y’all recommend? Haven’t done much research into either. Im ordering the Sahara altitude with pretty much all bells and whistles. The plan is to lift it 2.5 and put either 33 or 35 tires on it. Also will be 90 percent of the time highway driving with the occasional off road on weekends. What has gas mileage been on for both? Any issues with either engine? What is the etorque option? Any input is appreciated. thanks!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The turbo and DI make it a little powerhouse, but it still sounds and shakes like a 4. No way around it.
This bias for me has deep roots. I've been an F1 fan forever. In the early 80s, 1.5 liter turbos started replacing 3.0 liter 500 bhp V-8 and V-12s. Five years later the BMW 4-cylinder was putting out 1,400 bhp. They had to ban turbos after that - too fast for the era safety-wise.

Way off topic - sorry.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Asking what motor you should get after canceling your diesel order ? Lamo ! You probably listened to the people here when you ordered the diesel. How did that work out ? Seriously if you don’t know what motor to get nobody here will know that answer. There’s too many variables. Use common sense if you don’t know what you need how on earth will a stranger know what you need?

Sponsored

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
I went with the 6 paired with the automatic, no complaints yet.

My 96 TJ had the 4 cyl paired with the stick...gutless but lots of fun. One vehicle that I always missed after selling it.

I passed on the turbo due to long term concerns of the turbo, and my other vehicle has a bi-turbo 6 and the maintenance costs are nuts.

Prior to that, had an Audi A4 4 cyl turbo. Costly to maintain. Always noticed the turbo lag.

Figure the 6 cyl will hold up well over the long term.
Also gets about 24mpg as opposed to 17mpg in my other vehicle.

Last edited:

PSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XXXXXX 2020 JL Rubicon 3.6
Just canceled my diesel order last week. Originally I wanted a two door but got sucked into the diesel release. 4 months later no diesel. I’m picking my 3.6L 2 door Saturday.

nikkereed

First Name
Nikke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reed
I love driving it on the highway, it drives incredibly well, steering is great. I love it. Buy it and enjoy it. My favorite vehicle of all time. The 6 is a great safe bet. Runs beautifully, great transmission and engine combo. The turbo 4 is a great engine but was initially an Alpha sports car engine and it's very complicated. Not sure I would still be comfortable with that engine just yet.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
The 6 is a great safe bet. Runs beautifully, great transmission and engine combo.
Yep. We use ours 2-3x per week to go skiing/SB - and the 6 paired with the 8spd make it up mtn roads with relative ease. Tranny normally chooses 5th uphill and the engine pretty much spins effortlessly. Am also impressed how refined it is on and off-road. But really - it shines when put in Low Range. Tracks uphill in idle. Nice.

nikkereed

First Name
Nikke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reed
Oh! that is great that you are using these things.

Sponsored

pajrs

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door sport jl
I went with the 3.6 so I could buy reg gas. High octane is 50 to 60 cent more in PA.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
3.6 and 8 spd auto for me. i do believe this is the best combo. mileage town 18 to 19.5, highway 25 to 29.6. i was able to pull 460 miles on a full tank (17.5 gal.) of gas on a road trip doing 70-75 with the a/c on. this is on a 2 door sport ( stock).

bigwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I have a new 2.0 and think it is a nice little package. Plenty of power and apparently a little lighter than the V6. The suspension is much softer on the 20 rubicon than my 17 rubicon. Maybe I am giving the lightness more credit than it deserves, and should be crediting the suspension. Regardless the new one is far better riding machine than the 17.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have a new 2.0 and think it is a nice little package. Plenty of power and apparently a little lighter than the V6. The suspension is much softer on the 20 rubicon than my 17 rubicon. Maybe I am giving the lightness more credit than it deserves, and should be crediting the suspension. Regardless the new one is far better riding machine than the 17.
Actually, I believe it is actually heavier than the V6. At least that is what was published originally. Without the BSG, it may not be heavier. The 3.6 is a very light weight engine for its size. The 2.0's torque off the line certainly could make it feel that way, though.

Last edited:

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I went with the 2.0 Turbo and haven't looked back. I understand the 3.6 history and the sound of the 2L is different but it performs well so far (after 1300 miles).
Sponsored