Sponsored

2.0 on 37's with 4:10 gears in a JLUR

Dr.McNinja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Absolutely not. Off road Evo, Rock Krawler, crawler Conceptz a s many others have beat the piss out of their JLUs at EJS on stock axles and gears in 40s and they are fine. The new 8spd does wonders for hwy driveability.

I ran 4.10s with 37s in my JKU 5spd auto and it was fine.
I've been on 4.10s and 37s (In a SPORT no less) for years. With the boat anchor 3.8.
It helps that I have a 6 speed and live in the flatland.

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
Absolutely not. Off road Evo, Rock Krawler, crawler Conceptz a s many others have beat the piss out of their JLUs at EJS on stock axles and gears in 40s and they are fine. The new 8spd does wonders for hwy driveability.

I ran 4.10s with 37s in my JKU 5spd auto and it was fine.
I’m gonna go ahead and suspend my bullshit call and I’m gonna need some proof on that... let’s see a link of the aforementioned company’s running 40’s on stock axles and beating the piss out of them.

Hazmater911

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR, Silver, 2006 TJ (for sale)
I Have been going off highway since The 70’s, mostly the high speed type. I have a handful of friends who make a good living today in the off- road world here in CA.
Modification Rule number 1 “every modification comes with good/bad trade offs, power, ride, longevity, etc...
It really depends what you as the driver are willing to compromise on, or for that matter, spend.

I am a minimal modifier, just what I need, or sometimes because it looks cool.
I get tons of invites to weekends in the desert because:
1. Being a FF/ Paramedic I am always prepared. Medical, tools, extinguisher, etc...
2. My toys tend to always be working, so I am the one towing the heavily modded friends back to camp, and I enjoy helping out. I also enjoy working on their rigs with them.
3. I don’t mind bringing up the rear, I have a natural need to make sure all get home safe.
4. I also like to cook for large crews, I know, they also say I’m a good wife!

I’m not knocking mods, I love them. But they are like getting married, what are you willing to give up?
Also, They may be a sweet ride, but you may be modifying them for someone else to drive later, if not careful.

Forums like this are fantastic to help make decisions on mods, but watch who you listen to because we all have different goals, cash, ride preferences, opinions, and deal breaker points.
Don’t know if this helps, but was fun to post! :angel:

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT Red Vapor, 2015 Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi 4x4
I’m gonna go ahead and suspend my bullshit call and I’m gonna need some proof on that... let’s see a link of the aforementioned company’s running 40’s on stock axles and beating the piss out of them.

Sponsored

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
it all depends on the programming in the ECU. turbo's will only boost to what is allowed in the ECU programming + of course sensor inputs. depending on what turbo is installed + the slush box aka automatic tranny programming + the ECU will control everything!! thats why automatics STINK with a turbo because as rpm's go up so does boost. you need more bost just downshift or hold it in a lower gear longer. with any turbo the best oils + frequent changes will make it live long + happy, with water cooling another plus for the turbo!! good luck

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
Don't forget the BSG. It will be interesting to see how it does on trail.
This is a very good point. The 2.0 has BSG and electric motors provide 100% torque without delay. I don't know how much torque the BSG is contributing thought. The 3.6 is rumored to get BSG as well for 2019... it will be interesting to see how it performs then.

Sponsored

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a very good point. The 2.0 has BSG and electric motors provide 100% torque without delay. I don't know how much torque the BSG is contributing thought. The 3.6 is rumored to get BSG as well for 2019... it will be interesting to see how it performs then.
70lb ft

Papa de Azucar

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 F150 XLT 4x4, '22 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Engineer / Project Manager
So friends and I have been going back and forth on the 3.6 vs the Hurricane from an ordering perspective. I will be running 37x12.5r17s and don't want to regear out of the 4:10's that come in the JLUR.

Question/Discussion: Would the turbo in the Hurricane constantly have to produce boost in order to spin the 4:10 37's? If so, would that cause excess wear and tear on the turbo and/or kill ANY chance of decent MPG. I'm ready to order and really trying to decide if taking the risk of the Hurricane is worth it knowing I will run 37s. I know the 3.6 is a safe choice.

Thoughts?
I have had a number lifted trucks with oversized tires and reprogramming the ECU for the correct tire diameter will make the biggest difference in your overall performance. Yes, the JL does have an 8-sped auto and I have had a RAM 1500 with this transmission. The difference in tire diameter and actually speed is what really hurts the performance when you make the leap up to a 37” from a stock 32.5” stock tire. Once I’ve had the ECM “flashed” or added a programmer that allows tire diameter correction, this brings the vehicle back into its desired operating range. In actuality you should re-gear to a 4:88 or 5:13 gears for 37’s, but reprogramming the ECU for the correction in tire diameter would be the first step to get the engine back into it’s ideal operating range. I had Silverado on 35”s with a 6-spd auto and 3:73 gears, once I added the programmer and corrected for tire diameter, it was night and day difference. Ideally I should have re-geared to 4:10’s, but I never skipped a beat after the ECU was re-programmed. I wheeled that truck in the desert for 5 years with no issues?

...just my 2 cents? :beer:
Sponsored