Sponsored

2.0 oil consumption between oil changes

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Considering buying a 4xe with the 2.0

Have a few questions.

for those who maintain there own jeeps and do their own oil changes and check oil level frequently, ( I have log book for all my cars and note any oil I add between changes and or level when changed with approx consumption), how much if any do these engines use? Has level dropped on the stick when you change, so can estimate how many miles for 1qt of use?

Also have noted that some with Mishomito catch cans are finding they dont have much oil in them and in one thread someone mentioned the 2.0 has a air oil seperator in the crankcase ventilation system to reduce oil vapor getting into the intake, is there info somewhere showing it?

Lastly someone else mentioned they used special coatings on piston skirts and special rings, any technical info on that somewhere??
Sponsored

TimnTexas

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Blackbear
I just installed a mishimoto intake pipe and saw residual oil coating the inside of the ducting past the turbo. Just a thin coating on the surfaces which I used to lubricate the some o-rings during install of the new pipe. I did install the Mishimoto catch can also, but it was only install a couple months ago so the oil inside the intake was probably prior to the catch can I would guess. Based on this finding, I think having the catch can is probably a good idea if it creates carbon build up over extended time.

Reactions: VNT

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I've been lacks on my last oil change. I'm doing it this evening, but I have about 8k on this change, and 40k on the engine. The first change that I did myself I etched a mark onto the dip stick. I checked it just two evenings ago and believe it or not, it is still sitting at that mark.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
I haven't noticed any consumption issues on mine, but I must add that Jeep dealerships practically add a barrel of oil during the free Jeep Wave changes.:)

OP
OP
VNT

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I would recommend day before you bring it in after it has sat for a few hours check your level, and guestimate how much it has used if any since last oil change before you bring it in.

I change my 3.6 s every 4000 or so and havent had any consumption thus far but they are new.

More engines are ruined because people never check and do 10k drains

Sponsored

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
I keep a pretty close eye on my oil level as well as change oil at the recommended intervals.

My 2.0L e-Torque has ~ 12K miles on the clock. Since day one, the Hurricane motor in my Recon has used no oil between oil changes.

I remain super impressed with this power plant.

-Steven

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My 2.0 just rolled over the 40k mark last night. It hasn't lost a drop yet. It gets changed by myself only, and always gets tier 1 oil and fuel. I recently learned that Mobil 1 full synthetic no longer has the ms13340 certification, so I switched to pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 on my last change. It uses the cleaner natural gas base versus crude oil base, so I'll continue to keep an eye on it.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
My 2.0 just rolled over the 40k mark last night. It hasn't lost a drop yet. It gets changed by myself only, and always gets tier 1 oil and fuel. I recently learned that Mobil 1 full synthetic no longer has the ms13340 certification, so I switched to pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 on my last change. It uses the cleaner natural gas base versus crude oil base, so I'll continue to keep an eye on it.
Thanks for the info update on Mobil 1. Appreciate it brother!

-Steven

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
My 2021 2.0T only has 2,200 miles on it, but I haven't seen any change in the oil level since I got it. I'm always paranoid with a new engine so I've probably checked it a half dozen times already.

Will probably change it myself at 5K intervals

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info update on Mobil 1. Appreciate it brother!

-Steven
No problem bro! I read a lot of great things about royal purple, amsoil, and redline, but the clear and cleaner base stock used in the pennzoil is what really intrigued me. Being higher up in the refining process and having much less suspended contaminants, should equal less chance of deposits forming in the motor.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My 2021 2.0T only has 2,200 miles on it, but I haven't seen any change in the oil level since I got it. I'm always paranoid with a new engine so I've probably checked it a half dozen times already.

Will probably change it myself at 5K intervals
Synthetics are supposed to extend change intervals, but I still stick to the 5k schedule. It's a small fee for the peace of mind knowing that I'm doing my part to not give the motor any chance to possibly build up any unwanted deposits. Also, I do the 5 tire rotation while the drain plug is drip drying.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I did my first oil change at 2,000 miles....no detectable use. Second oil change at 6,000 miles....no detectable use. I will change the oil every 6,000 miles going forward. So far I like the 2.0.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
No problem bro! I read a lot of great things about royal purple, amsoil, and redline, but the clear and cleaner base stock used in the pennzoil is what really intrigued me. Being higher up in the refining process and having much less suspended contaminants, should equal less chance of deposits forming in the motor.
Actually, the petroleum group 3 base stock used in Pennzoil has more impurities and more volatile than the chemical group 4 and 5 base stocks, leaving more deposits. For less deposits, read about the deposit testing at https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf?zo=1181889 .

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, the group 3 base stock used in Pennzoil has more impurities than the group 4 and 5 base stocks. For less deposits, read about the deposit testing at https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf?zo=1181889 .
I'll have to look at their 5/30 again. I see the api sn plus certification, but the discontinued adherence to ms13340 is what drove me away from mobil and into the Penn.

All 5 pieces of equipment at work are running with Amsoil, so I'm already a fan of the brand.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
I'll have to look at their 5/30 again. I see the api sn plus certification, but the discontinued adherence to ms13340 is what drove me away from mobil and into the Penn.

All 5 pieces of equipment at work are running with Amsoil, so I'm already a fan of the brand.
AMSOIL is available at 2 of the Jeep Dealerships near me. They put in AMSOIL for my first Jeep Wave oil change.
Sponsored