www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

So had some bad luck the other day while on my way to place my order for a 22 wrangler. Basically someone ran a red light and hit my car and totaled it which put me in a bad spot since I was on my way to order a 22. Now I dont have a car and probably cant wait for a 22 to be built but the dealership I was ordering from actually has a rubicon recon edition thats close to my specs I wanted but I am pretty sure all recon editions have the 2.0 in it. So my question is for the people who own one or have ridden in one how does it feel? I had 2018 Rubicon in the 3.6 and I am a little afraid the 2.0 is going to feel very under powered. Thanks
I drove both in 18 when i bought my sport JLU with the 3.6. the 2.0 was new and i was a little worried about it but man it was a bit quicker than the 3.6L. only reason i went with the 3.6 is they do not offer the 2.0 in the manual transmission. if i would have gone auto i would and gone 2.0 for sure
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove both: the 2.0T felt spunkier although a little abrupt, and didn’t care for the sound; the V6 is more refined and relaxed overall.

Fiat’s unproven quality swayed me towards the V6, and I’m happy with my choice.

Having said that, the 2.0T appears to have turned pretty reliable so far.

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
Just curious what you guys think you gain as an advantage of the 2.0 over the V6?

I know you will say it has higher torque....but at what RPM is that rated? Do you use it to hard core off-road or just for snowstorms/beach use.

you cant get a manual transmission with the 2.0 to really be able to hit/HOLD that peak torque (low end) RPM when needed. Unless you want to screw around in that "manual mode" but good luck with that on a computerized transmission in adverse or off-road conditions being able to to the mental gymnastics of that.

Im really interested....the fuel economy isnt even seen to be much better from what ive read.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Just curious what you guys think you gain as an advantage of the 2.0 over the V6?

you cant get a manual transmission with the 2.0 to really be able to hit/HOLD that peak torque (low end) RPM when needed. Unless you want to screw around in that "manual mode" but good luck with that on a computerized transmission in adverse or off-road conditions being able to to the mental gymnastics of that.
Fuel mileage, for starters.

Based on conditions, I've used the 850RE's manual shift control feature to select a low gear, from which it will not budge until I purposefully up- or downshift. Done.

Having 8 gears to choose from, not six, and without the physical gymnastics of a clutch, is something that can't reflexively be dismissed as an inferior system.

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

As someone who not only test drove both, picked the 2.0T, then drove a 3.6 sport as a rental for 10 days... the 2.0T is hands down the better engine.

As others have said, there are many threads on this, and there are even SOME who drove both and prefer the 3.6. Some like the flatter torque curve.

I LOVE the 2.0T. I loved it so much that when I went to order our Tuscadero JLUR, I was told I'd have to get the 3.6. It killed my motivation for the new Jeep. I ended up, over and over, bargaining with myself: "They'll come out with another fun color in a year or two." - "It won't be THAT bad." - "This new one will have the 4Auto, it'll have the front camera, it'll have the ACC for our trips..."

Then I realized the 2.0T is the soul of the 4xe. I looked at the math. And went that way.

At the end of the day, I got us a 4xe for the 2.0T. It's THAT good. (And we don't have the eTorque version)

Just my $0.02.
Why don't you just wrap it whatever color you like?

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

I know you will say it has higher torque....but at what RPM is that rated? Do you use it to hard core off-road or just for snowstorms/beach use.

Im really interested....the fuel economy isnt even seen to be much better from what ive read.
  1. Lighter weight
  2. Consistent power delivery at elevation
  3. Smaller displacement means lower sales tax in certain parts of the world
  4. Keeps Italians employed... :like:

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Lighter in weight (less strain on chassis/better handling/lighter on trails), simpler to maintain (4 cylinder vs V6), fuel economy (less RPM for same HP/torque as V6), and a big one is the power loss at elevation is negligible with a turbo motor.
  1. Lighter weight
  2. Consistent power delivery at elevation
  3. Smaller displacement means lower sales tax in certain parts of the world
  4. Keeps Italians employed... :like:
Crap you beat me to it while I was typing!! LOL

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
July 2021 Turbo 2.0L owner here. The thing is so peppy, I have to wonder why anyone would have wanted to pair it with eTorque in the first place?! (Mine is NOT.)

My primary disappointment with the 2.0L drivetrain:
I'm flooring the gas pedal to avoid a potential situation. Time is critical. What happens? Nothing. I'm waiting 0.5 to 1 seconds for that acceleration to kick in. It isn't turbo lag and it isn't the engine at fault here. It isn't a slow throttle response, either. It seems that, when performed at certain speeds, the downshift will complete abnormally slow. I'll let others comment if they agree or disagree with that assessment. If so, you'd think it could be improved upon with an update.

My primary worry:
Direct Injection was a key replacement for displacement. And like any replacement, there are trade-offs, namely: carbon buildup. Numerous sources will tell you that doing full synthetic oil changes and performing your preventative maintenance tasks on schedule is key.

Potential for added cost:
Peak performance means you'll be filling the tank with premium fuel. The engine's performance will noticeably take advantage of it. But that's optional.

Some might suggest additional preventative measures: regularly using premium fuel (for the added cleaners) and/or adding a bottle of engine cleaner additive as often as possible. If you believe them, and if you take their suggestions, then it becomes an added maintenance burden in having a 2.0L engine. But they ARE focusing on optimum engine performance... not engine life. (Also to be fair, all Jeep calls for is an accelerated schedule for spark plug changes.)

Also, I've got a bit of a lead foot so I'm averaging about 14MPG in the city. Wow, if this 2.0L engine consumes less gas, I'd hate to see what life would have been like with the 3.6L engine! If the engine wasn't so responsive I know my mileage would be better. Seriously.

My primary source of optimism:
No significant problems related to age (seasonal cycles) seemed to have surfaced. No significant problems of mileage/wear seemed to have surfaced. Most of that initial concern over a new engine seems to have settled.

My thoughts after purchasing:
I'm more of a deferred maintenance kind of guy, to be honest. But keeping the engine performance in top shape is encouragement enough to fill the tank with premium (at little cost difference in my region) and keeping up with the maintenance schedule. Love the performance. Wish it sounded cooler than a mix between a diesel engine, a rush of wind, and an electric car. But a cold air intake replacement would pretty much handle that problem. Would go with a 2.0L again, with the 392 as my honest second choice.

Hope this give you a better picture of the 2.0L tradeoffs.

Last edited:

JoeHenry

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport, 2009 Corvette
Had my 2.0 about 17 months. I can make a few observations; good gas mileage, 21 mpg around town and 25 on the Hwy. It’s a Sport S and factory stock, no lift and no big tires. Motor has plenty of power. It is noisy when cold. I have 8500 trouble free miles so far.
Can not say the same for the V6 I had in a 2012 JKU. Head replaced, and later cam and lifters. Buy the 2.0.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Consistent power delivery at elevation
This one can't be stressed enough. My Jeep lives at 5000-10000 ft elevation. Test drove both up there. The 2.0t was handling it like an acclimated local, no problem. The 3.6 was clearly a tourist, weak from the thin air. A very obvious difference.

Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"

Here's the best thing about the engine selection in Wranglers: there are 4 great powerplants to choose from. Everyone gets to pick the one that best suits their situation. And their choices are theirs; mine is mine.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I have almost 25,000 miles in my 2 door ss and have loved it every second. It just goes. The torque curve and 8 speed auto feel perfectly matched.
Tons of low end grunt and surprising acceleration. I had a race up an on ramp with a charger a few days ago and the huge 2nd gear kick (it can chirp the tires if you hit the shift right) gave me a length on him until I let off at 75 - the look on his face was priceless.
I average around 22 - 23 mpg for my daily commute and don't see any real drop off cruising at 75 - 80.
It's a winner for sure.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer

Torque comes in at a much lower RPM and remains flatter than an NA motor
Automatic transmission has more torque multiplication and more gears for a wider spread to keep the engine and vehicle speed where you want them.
A torque converter is a torque multiplier and makes it easier to manage when crawling
The 2.0 hp numbers were definitely underrated to keep it under the 3.6. Personally I don't care that much about HP numbers since I don't drag race my jeep. It's all about the torque.
More tunability if you go with a flash tuner. There's more performance to be gained from the 2.0 than there is from the 3.6 with a tune.

I still like both motors. I just have my preference. Not really saying one is better than the other, just that I like one better. Also, I would have gone with the auto trans no matter which power plant I chose.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Fuel mileage, for starters.

Based on conditions, I've used the 850RE's manual shift control feature to select a low gear, from which it will not budge until I purposefully up- or downshift. Done.

Having 8 gears to choose from, not six, and without the physical gymnastics of a clutch, is something that can't reflexively be dismissed as an inferior system.
I would say 16 gears because the 2.0t is another thing when in 4 low. The manual shift feature was awesome going up and down the mountain trails and highways in Colorado. Did not have to burn up my brakes.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
I've owned both the 3.6 and 2.0, both jeeps were 2 doors so apple to apple comparison. The 2.0 blows the 3.6 outa the water!! As many other have stated, the 2.0 makes the Jeep feel lighter and peppier. Plus it gets better gas milage. If you live in higher elevation, the 2.0 is a must.

I still can't believe this question even keeps coming up on this forum. If you unbiasedly drive both engines back to back on the same day, there is no way you can come away thinking the 3.6 has more power.
Sponsored