2.0 Dipstick and oil level reading

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
The dipstick on 2.0 is different than that of 3.6.

Did my first oil change on the 2.0 last weekend and was having a real hard time getting a correct oil reading level from the dipstick, anyone else having the same issue? Since I live in Canada they use metric over here and 5 quarts equates to 4.73L, so I bought the 5L jug and left about an inch of oil left in it.

First off, the dipstick is tight, and I mean REALLY tight, have to jimmy it in with two hands bit by bit, otherwise it will bend and crumple, and it feels like it's rubbing metal shavings off every time you check it. The problem that arises from this is that it's always scraping residual oil off the walls of the dipstick tube and that messes up your reading, it took me something like 8 tries before I could get a remotely legible reading. (see pic)

I did look at the manual before checking the readings, now, there are no markings or labels on the dipstick, I'm assuming that the lower hole means Min. oil level and the upper hole means Max. oil level. Checking the dipstick after 5 minutes the engine has been off is registering 3/8" over the upper hole.

Is this normal? Anyone else having the same troubles with the dipstick? Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Arterius2

Why did you not use the whole 5 qts. of oil? You say you "left about an inch of oil left in it."

Anyway, it s not debatable lets say.. The JL 3.6 and 2.0 both take 5 qts. With that said put in 5 quarts, exactly.... end of story.

After you have the five quarts in, let the JL sit for a couple of hours or so and then read the dipstick. Level indicated on the stick is the 5 qt./full fill level. You might want to take a pic of the dipstick level so you know .... have for future reference.

Yes, the dipsticks on both motors are a pain to read.

By the way... when I do the oil change, I pour in the 5 qt. container and then do not even check the dipstick. Why would I need to check the dipstick. Motor takes 5 and I put in 5. YES, for checks down the road, it is nice to know what 5 qts reads on the dipstick.

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
@Arterius2

Why did you not use the whole 5 qts. of oil? You say you "left about an inch of oil left in it."

Anyway, it s not debatable lets say.. The JL 3.6 and 2.0 both take 5 qts. With that said put in 5 quarts, exactly.... end of story.

After you have the five quarts in, let the JL sit for a couple of hours or so and then read the dipstick. Level indicated on the stick is the 5 qt./full fill level. You might want to take a pic of the dipstick level so you know .... have for future reference.

Yes, the dipsticks on both motors are a pain to read.

By the way... when I do the oil change, I pour in the 5 qt. container and then do not even check the dipstick. Why would I need to check the dipstick. Motor takes 5 and I put in 5. YES, for checks down the road, it is nice to know what 5 qts reads on the dipstick.

5L does not equates to 5 quarts, 5quarts = 4.73L, which means I should leave a bit left.
I did mention that I live in Canada, and we use metric here. I bought the 5L jug, not 5quarts.

I said I put in 4.73L which leaves about an inch of oil left in the 5L jug.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Arterius2

Huh.. you are losing me..

Anyway, when you buy a 5 qt/4.73L container of Pennzoil or Mobil 1, the full bottle ..... all that is in that container is what the specs say the JL requires.

With that said, if you do not pour the whole container in, you are in error. For the 3.6L and the 2.0 ... they both take the total contents of the 5 qt/4.73L container.

Does not matter whether you live in the USA, Canada, Africa, England.... still the same.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Arterius2

I will bow out of this conversation. Hopefully someone else here can make things clearer to you.

5 quarts of liquid = 4.73L . Your JL per specs requires.... 5 qts. /4.73L .

YOUR JL is under filled if you did not use a full 5qt/ 4.73L container... This is not debatable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
@Arterius2

I will bow out of this conversation. Hopefully someone else here can make things clearer to you.

5 quarts of liquid = 4.73L . Your JL per specs requires.... 5 qts. /4.73L .

YOUR JL is under filled if you did not use the full container... This is not debatable.

The Pennzoil bottle I buy here are 5L, not 5 quarts. (5L = 5.28 quarts)

555.jpg

I put in 4.73L of this 5L bottle, I have a bit left in the 5L bottle, understand? Everything was written clearly in the opening thread, not sure why you are still confused, I did not under-fill.

Once again, I'll state I live in Canada, we use L here, not quarts.

Ppita02

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Makes sense to me. Thank your the input. Yes the dipstick is a pain to read for me as well.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
OP,

You are correct, don’t use th entire 5L jug in a 5 qt capacity crank case. It’ll be slightly overfilled. Leave 9oz in the jug. I don’t know if that’s an inch or not, depends on the container. You could get a plastic disposable cup and fill it with 9oz of liquid, mark it, then pour out that much oil from the 5L jug and fill the engine with the rest which will be 5 qt.

If the level is anywhere between the dots it’s OK. The lower one represents a quart below capacity and the upper one is full capacity. It doesn’t have to be exactly at the full dot, just not below the lower one.

I’ve got the 3.6L and our dipstick is different, it’s more of a cable/wire style that’s harder to read. I can’t speak to how tight yours is; mine slides in easily. I’ll leave that to a 2.0 owner. Maybe rotate it 180 degrees?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Arterius2

Ok, I hear ya... but, I sure would like to pour out your container and pour out the same container that sells in the USA. 8-)

You are talking 9.3 oz. if indeed, your container has a full 5L in it. I know I would still just be pouring in the whole container.

With that said... I did not realize Pennzoil and Mobil 1, etc., was packaging two different containers ... one with 4.73L and another with 5L. I learned something here.

Yes, the dipstick is difficult to read.

No, you did not overfill...

So, consider measuring exactly 4.73L and with that much in exactly, do a read / take a pic of your dipstick.
Do check after the JL has sat, not run for a couple of hours before you do this read.

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
So can anyone confirm the proper reading on the dipstick as far as the lower/upper holes in the dipstick? Would be useful to know to double check when at the dealer to see if they overfilled.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
@Arterius2

Ok, I hear ya... but, I sure would like to pour out your container and pour out the same container that sells in the USA. 8-)

You are talking 9.3 oz. if indeed, your container has a full 5L in it. I know I would still just be pouring in the whole container.

With that said... I did not realize Pennzoil and Mobil 1, etc., was packaging two different containers ... one with 4.73L and another with 5L. I learned something here.

Yes, the dipstick is difficult to read.

No, you did not overfill...

So, consider measuring exactly 4.73L and with that much in exactly, do a read / take a pic of your dipstick.
Do check after the JL has sat, not run for a couple of hours before you do this read.

Thanks, I posted picture of the dipstick reading (measured 5min after engine off as per user manual)

It seems counter intuitive if 5 quarts (equivalent) measures 3/8" over the upper hole, unless I actually overfilled it, or 5L is actually not 5L as stated on the bottle..

Just want to know what other 2.0 owners are reading on the dipstick with 5 quarts, just for reference sakes for next time...

It might be Just-a-Jeep-thing™ where everything needs a "mod" to function like other vehicles at stock.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Arterius2

Sorry about the confusion on my part. I'm still hmmming over the idea that they truly put in 9.3 more ounces in your Metric container...

Regardless of what the manual says, 5 min. is not enough time for all the oil to drain down enough to get an accurate read.

Also, if you read soon after the running motor is stopped, the tube that you slide the dipstick down has oil on it's inner surface that will transfer onto the dipstick when you go to do a read.

With the JL, on level ground, turn the engine off and let it sit say an hour and then read your dipstick. You should see the oil level right up to the top indicator hole on the dipstick. Top hole should be a full fill.

By the way, I do not check level at oil change time as I mentioned earlier.

When I do routine oil level checks, I do them first thing in the morning, when the vehicle has not been run all night. That is when I easily get an accurate read...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Arterius2

Forgot to say ... terrific you are doing your own oil change versus going to the dealership or a fast oil change place.

You can be sure they are not going to be as exacting and concerned as you are in regard to the amount of oil they put in.

Again, good to see you are doing it yourself!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Arterius2

Curious ... if you do the exchange, how many US dollars does it cost for that 5L container ? I bought 2 of the Pennzoil 4.73L's for $20.00 US, even the other day.

And he filter.. $ ... ?

Back to your oil change. Were you to just use the whole container that extra 9.3 ounces is not a concern.. Your JL will not be at risk with an added or shorted / coffee cup full of oil. (I know basic coffee cup is 8oz.)

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
@Arterius2

Curious ... if you do the exchange, how many US dollars does it cost for that 5L container ? I bought 2 of the Pennzoil 4.73L's for $20.00 US, even the other day.

And he filter.. $ ... ?
You don't want to know... we pay a premium for Pennzoil up there in the north..
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pennzoil-platinum-syntheticengine-oil-5-l-0289323p.html#srp

$30 CAD per bottle and that's with 50% off discount...

Paid $10 for Purolator Boss
Sponsored