2.0 Dipstick and oil level reading

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Screenshot 2019-03-11 17.25.02.png
Changed my own oil and refilled with 5 Qts. The level on your dipstick is the same as mine. With 5 Qts its a bit above the top dot. I also measured it with 4 qt. then added the last Qt so I know where the 1 Qt low mark should be. 1 Qt low is a little above the bottom dot. You should be fine. Also i checked the level before I drained it and it was also above the top dot.

The dealer can't install my floor mats correctly........why would I pay them to change my oil?
Sponsored

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
@Arterius2

Why did you not use the whole 5 qts. of oil? You say you "left about an inch of oil left in it."

Anyway, it s not debatable lets say.. The JL 3.6 and 2.0 both take 5 qts. With that said put in 5 quarts, exactly.... end of story.

After you have the five quarts in, let the JL sit for a couple of hours or so and then read the dipstick. Level indicated on the stick is the 5 qt./full fill level. You might want to take a pic of the dipstick level so you know .... have for future reference.

Yes, the dipsticks on both motors are a pain to read.

By the way... when I do the oil change, I pour in the 5 qt. container and then do not even check the dipstick. Why would I need to check the dipstick. Motor takes 5 and I put in 5. YES, for checks down the road, it is nice to know what 5 qts reads on the dipstick.

He's in Canada where it's metric. I think he said he bought a 5-Liter jug of oil not 5 quarts? Never mind, I see everything was cleared up. I should have read the full thread before replying.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I had the same problem with the dipstick; two-handed is the only way to do things.
I concur. Very tight and easy to smear. My previous JK was wayyyyy easier. Plus this ones deeper into the engine bay.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I agree the dip stick in the 2.0 is a PITA to get in and out. After my first oil change(the dealer swore they put in only 5 its.) I checked the dip stick and like the OP had to check it several times to get an accurate reading due to residual oil on the sides. I finally came up with a level that was 3/8" above the top hole. Seemed like not high enough if the dealer had put 6 its. in rater than 5. My measurement seems to match the OPs.

Sponsored

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Thanks, I posted picture of the dipstick reading (measured 5min after engine off as per user manual)

It seems counter intuitive if 5 quarts (equivalent) measures 3/8" over the upper hole, unless I actually overfilled it, or 5L is actually not 5L as stated on the bottle..

Just want to know what other 2.0 owners are reading on the dipstick with 5 quarts, just for reference sakes for next time...

It might be Just-a-Jeep-thingā„¢ where everything needs a "mod" to function like other vehicles at stock.
I thought the dealer overfilled the first oilchange so I did the next a bit earlier myself. I see the same, 5qts in after a hot extended dran of the crancase and filter. 5qts was about 1/2-3/4" above the top mark. I guess it's normal..

QC22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURR
Sorry to dig up this thread, but someone linked it on a current one... Anyway, how do any of you know that you or the dealer got all the oil out? Just because the capacity (with filter) is 5 qts does not mean that it takes that much always, every change, period. As someone earlier said. How much remains in oil passages throughout the engine? What if you're not parked level? What if the dipstick is marked wrong? What if you don;t wait long enough to drain completely? There are no guarantees on any of this stuff, so I find it odd that we literally quibble over ounces.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Sorry to dig up this thread, but someone linked it on a current one... Anyway, how do any of you know that you or the dealer got all the oil out? Just because the capacity (with filter) is 5 qts does not mean that it takes that much always, every change, period. As someone earlier said. How much remains in oil passages throughout the engine? What if you're not parked level? What if the dipstick is marked wrong? What if you don;t wait long enough to drain completely? There are no guarantees on any of this stuff, so I find it odd that we literally quibble over ounces.
@QC22

Sure, some/a tad, gets left in there (that is a given) when you change the oil... no, no worry about the ounce or so that remains... YES, there is an issue of 32 ounces extra being poured in.

Truth of the matter, the tech nor Joe Blow doing his own oil change, needs to use the dipstick.

If a vehicle calls for 5 qts, that is what you pour in... Not rocket science for sure...

Again, pour in 5 quarts and put the fill cap back on... and no don't worry if there was an ounce or so left of oil in there.

QC22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURR
I actually agree with you sort of. You don't know how much is left in there. Also, in the olden days, some heavy truck engines were shipped with blank dipsticks. Depending on the cab, they might need to be extended, or cut off, and how you did it was fill it one gallon low, mark the stick for the low mark. Pour in another gallon, and that was the full mark. Yes, gallon. If you trust the stick, I would go by that. Over full is worse than slightly under.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I actually agree with you sort of. You don't know how much is left in there. Also, in the olden days, some heavy truck engines were shipped with blank dipsticks. Depending on the cab, they might need to be extended, or cut off, and how you did it was fill it one gallon low, mark the stick for the low mark. Pour in another gallon, and that was the full mark. Yes, gallon. If you trust the stick, I would go by that. Over full is worse than slightly under.
@QC22

Very very little remains in an engine if you allow ample time for the oil to drain out....
------
Personally, I never use the dipstick when I do my oil changes on anything...

I change the oil filter ...... I give plenty of time for the oil to drain.... and then pour in exactly what the engine requires for a full fill.

Only time I ever use a dipstick is to check oil level when checking fluids.... until the next oil change.

Sponsored

Dr. O)lllll(O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Not sure if all this is still a debateā€¦ But Iā€™ve been filling mine with 5qts since purchase. Oil level always read above the full line as stated above. At 50k mi, changed my PCV valve all gunked up. At 60k mi, had a leaking valve cover gasket and a bad O2 sensor replaced. And now at 85k mi, gotta go back into the dealer to get a persistent oil leak looked at to determine if itā€™s the oil pan seal or a leaking rear main seal! Every 3-4k miles, Iā€™ve always allowed time for my warm oil to drain completely and put in a full 5qt container of pennzoil. And always seen the oil level read just over the full dot on the stick. Time to see if @JeepCares cares, and see how they regard this potential rear main sealā€¦

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Just drain your oil at engine drive temperatures. When you drain it, make sure that your wrangler is on level ground. Let it drain until it stops dripping. Then just dump in your 5qt recommended amount, and you will be good to go.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Not sure if all this is still a debateā€¦ But Iā€™ve been filling mine with 5qts since purchase. Oil level always read above the full line as stated above. At 50k mi, changed my PCV valve all gunked up. At 60k mi, had a leaking valve cover gasket and a bad O2 sensor replaced. And now at 85k mi, gotta go back into the dealer to get a persistent oil leak looked at to determine if itā€™s the oil pan seal or a leaking rear main seal! Every 3-4k miles, Iā€™ve always allowed time for my warm oil to drain completely and put in a full 5qt container of pennzoil. And always seen the oil level read just over the full dot on the stick. Time to see if @JeepCares cares, and see how they regard this potential rear main sealā€¦
Thanks for tagging us. If you decide to bring your Jeep to the attention of a dealership and need our support, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Nostromo7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU
Having similar dipstick issues here on a new 2022 2.0l. I checked the dipstick several times after the vehicle sat overnight, but I can only get an oil reading several inches above the dipstick dots. This makes it totally useless... Anyone have any tricks for getting a proper reading between oil changes?
Sponsored