Sponsored

2.0 Dipstick and oil level reading

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Having similar dipstick issues here on a new 2022 2.0l. I checked the dipstick several times after the vehicle sat overnight, but I can only get an oil reading several inches above the dipstick dots. This makes it totally useless... Anyone have any tricks for getting a proper reading between oil changes?
@Nostromo7

Hint in regard to the JL dipstick.. for those that do their own oil change.

When you do an oil change .... drain the oil out and wait a few minutes so you give the oil a chance to fully drain out...

Now put the drain plug in, change the oil filter..... and put exactly 5 qts in ......

Now, insert the dipstick.... say 30 mins later, pull the dipstick and wipe the dipstick clean...

Now re-insert the clean dipstick and pull it again...

Now, mark/etch the dipstick where the oil appears on the dipstick..... so you know in the future, when you check the oil level... with engine cold> so that you can clearly see> where a 5qt. fill registers on the JL's dipstick when the engine is cold.

Sponsored

JKWMD

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon; 2021 JLU Sahara
I just changed my oil in my 2022 JLUR 2.0L. My oil bottle was 5L, so if you convert to quart/ml, the bottle will have ~267 extra ml of oil. I warm the car, give ample time to drain, then add the 257 ml extra in while the plug is still off to use the excess oil to "wash out" some of the residual oil. I give it another 10-15 minutes then finish up. I use a glass graduated cylinder to measure out ~267 ml first, the there will be exactly 5 quarts in the bottle when I pour it in. This is for those nerds out there that have scientific glassware at home :)

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I just changed my oil in my 2022 JLUR 2.0L. My oil bottle was 5L, so if you convert to quart/ml, the bottle will have ~257 extra ml of oil. I warm the car, give ample time to drain, then add the 257 ml extra in while the plug is still off to use the excess oil to "wash out" some of the residual oil. I give it another 10-15 minutes then finish up. I use a glass graduated cylinder to measure out ~257 ml first, the there will be exactly 5 quarts in the bottle when I pour it in.
@JKWMD

You got to be joking / kidding.... At least I hope you are..

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
I'm finding several threads on this issue, and it's exactly what I've experienced on my first oil change.

1. The dipstick tube is engineered too small for the dipstick. There's a lot of unnecessary resistance, and that messes up the reading. It's really hard to get a "warm" check on the oil level. The best readings are when the engine is dead cold and has been sitting, and you just pull the dispstick straight out and read it.

2. The crankcase capacity for the 2.0 is listed as 5.0 quarts***

I'm finding that with an exactly-5.0 quart fill when changing the oil and replacing the oil filter, and after running the engine to circulate the new oil, the dipstick reading is almost 3/4" above full. This leads me to believe that there has to be oil leftover in any cooler lines, turbo lines, etc, OR, the dipstick is calibrated incorrectly. Truthfully, I'm not sure if I should drain some oil until the dipstick reads full or leave the 5.0 quart fill in there. I checked the oil when it was new and I don't remember it being above-full, but didn't take a picture and am second-guessing myself.

What are you all seeing and doing with your 2.0, DIY oil changes?

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
Replying to my own post.... It helps to RTFM.

Checking 5 minutes after shutoff on a warm engine, per the owner's manual, on my Jeep, this reveals the level is spot-on "FULL" with a full 5.0 qt fill.

Checking while cold, after the engine has been sitting overnight, will produce an inaccurately HIGH reading.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Dipstick and oil level reading 1691348262927

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Volvo, where they were burning too much oil and the oil level indicator was going off before an oil change, they put in a shorter dip stick and a new sticker that just made you put in an additional liter of oil. Good to see that Jeep doesn't have an oil lever indicator like Volvo does, if they did, it would be a major recall.

I just hope nobody here owns a vehicle without a dip stick. If you did, you'd go nuts.

Drakon21

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None Yet
I’d just like to add that I’m having the same concern with my 2024 2.0 L. I drain it for a good 30 minutes, put the whole 5 qt jug in, and then the dipstick reads high af, almost to where it has that little kink in it maybe half an inch above the top line. I ran it like that for 5k miles, but I’m getting concerned. I just sucked maybe a quart out through the dip stick and now it’s back down to the top of the safe zone. I’m thinking that the full 5qts can’t drain out of the turbo lines and such and putting 5qts back in overfills it.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
I've posted this in other threads. The manual tells you how to check the oil level. If you let the Jeep sit longer than 5 minutes after shutting off a warm engine the reading will appear high. After an oil change on my 2.0 where I let it drain until no more oil was dripping out, I replaced the filter and refilled with 5 qts. I warmed the engine up, shut it off and checked the level. It was between the marks on the dipstick. I let the Jeep sit overnight and checked the level. It was above the top mark on the dipstick. I put 2 dimples on the dipstick at that point and now i have 2 indicators for proper level depending on how long the engine has been off. I prefer using the higher mark and letting it sit overnight to check the level. Now, if only the 3.6 dipstick would allow me to do the same thing.
Sponsored