First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
Wow, while it sucks its good that they'll even consider a buy back. I had a Nissan that was on its third engine in the 2 years and 30k miles I owned it. And as far as I could tell, they'd just keep putting motors in it until the warranty went out, never once offered to buy it back.

Parts being unavailable this soon isn't real surprising. This is the first BSG motor for FIAT, correct?
They never offered to buy it back. I told them I wanted them to buy it back. I was afraid if and when I got it back that this issue would arise again. Being that I drove this Jeep halfway up and down the east coast(Burlington VT several times, and furthest south was Rockingham NC) I'd be afraid if I did that again and the alternator decided to go on any of those excursions that I'd be in the same boat all over again... :(
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cmcclaflin31

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
Regardless of which way you head, I wish you the best.
Thank you. I picked my Jeep up around 12 today. I did a quick check on it in the parking lot before going in and talking to the service advisor and the manager. Call me picky, but I work on vehicles for a living. If I leave finger prints or grease, I damn well make sure I pick it up. Well the fenders had some "paw prints" and grease on them. What I didn't notice until just now when I got home is that the passenger fender has a nice gauge in it from what looks to be a sharp tool or part that was sitting on it and there's numbers bedded in the paint as well. I'm assuming the tech wrote on a paper on top of the fender... :mad: Anyways, alternator is supposedly fixed and all the other issues they said no problem found to. Well as I pulled into the parking lot at my work, the steering wheel indeed was still clicking loudly. So I'm going back there tomorrow to test drive it with the tech so he can hear it. As for the buy back... Time will tell what Chrysler decides. Either way idk if I want to drive it too far from home any more

OP
OP
Cmcclaflin31

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
And for all those wondering the cost of this alternator... The repair order at the very end said the revised estimate was $1414.54 + tax. It doesn't show the end cost or individual parts costs but I'm assuming the ballpark price is that for just the alternator

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
And for all those wondering the cost of this alternator... The repair order at the very end said the revised estimate was $1414.54 + tax. It doesn't show the end cost or individual parts costs but I'm assuming the ballpark price is that for just the alternator
Thank Heavens it's warrantied for 8 years 80,000 miles, under Federal Emissions requirements

OP
OP
Cmcclaflin31

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
Well, alternator hasn't acted up since. Put a decent amount of miles on it. Heard back from my case managers supervisor(or at least I think it was, she said she "oversees" case managers) and she said that since I took a claim out with NCDS that Chrysler most likely would wait for that case hearing and decision to decide their next move. As for my steering click, the tech at the dealer verified it was not normal. I scheduled an appointment to drop it off. I also talked to the manager about my fender and he called the number embedded in it, and then told me to buff it. I(went and got a quote for what it would cost, might have to repaint the fender) So after that, I brought it in on the day scheduled, they said they had another one in for service similar to mine but less miles and that it made the same noise, therefore it's normal. Yet when I drove it with the tech he told me it was in fact not normal. So I went to another dealer and now those guys are gonna look at it. By the way, I've been told Chrysler doesn't like to pay diag for pretty much anything. The dealer I brought it to told me I might be having to pay a $135 diag fee since Chrysler might not cover it. That'll be one more thing to add to the list of things I want Chrysler to pay for

Sponsored

aah78

First Name
Ads
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JL)
Well, alternator hasn't acted up since.
That's good to hear.
I've had a similar issue as you. My Sahara had to be towed to the dealership just about mid-August with a flat battery, which was diagnosed to be the failed generator, & the replacement was expected to arrive on the 29th. Hasn't arrived as of today (Sep. 01) as far as I know.

I'm not happy with this long a delay in stocked parts & what happens when they keep failing? Have it towed & wait over a month for the new part to arrive? Ridiculous while one is still paying monthly installments!

OP
OP
Cmcclaflin31

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
That's good to hear.
I've had a similar issue as you. My Sahara had to be towed to the dealership just about mid-August with a flat battery, which was diagnosed to be the failed generator, & the replacement was expected to arrive on the 29th. Hasn't arrived as of today (Sep. 01) as far as I know.

I'm not happy with this long a delay in stocked parts & what happens when they keep failing? Have it towed & wait over a month for the new part to arrive? Ridiculous while one is still paying monthly installments!
I agree with you completely. That thought is always in the back of my mind

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Check your States Lemon Laws. Some states are better than others. One trigger in some states is 30days in the shop. I'd Lemon Law. Than buy a regular V6.

OP
OP
Cmcclaflin31

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
Check your States Lemon Laws. Some states are better than others. One trigger in some states is 30days in the shop. I'd Lemon Law. Than buy a regular V6.
Unfortunately Chrysler new how to play their games, and my states lemon law says it needs to stay out of service to be claimed a lemon. If I had known exactly how long it was going to take for the alternator to come in, I would've claimed it a lemon. Since they kept promising it would be in before the 7 day repair period was over, I couldn't file for a lemon since had the part been replaced in those 7 days after I filed, I wouldn't win the case

R2019

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon
I had a 2019 that the BSG went bad on. The part took 40+ days. Having nothing to compare the Jeep 2.0 to, I felt it wasn’t getting the mileage it should before and after the BSG was replaced but couldn’t prove it. Within a few days of the BSG replacement, CEL back on, more problems. Jeep is buying it back and I have a 2020 with V6 on order. I don’t have confidence in the 2.0 technology and Jeep.
Check your state’s lemon laws. They vary greatly. Further south you go the worse they get.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cmcclaflin31

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
I had a 2019 that the BSG went bad on. The part took 40+ days. Having nothing to compare the Jeep 2.0 to, I felt it wasn’t getting the mileage it should before and after the BSG was replaced but couldn’t prove it. Within a few days of the BSG replacement, CEL back on, more problems. Jeep is buying it back and I have a 2020 with V6 on order. I don’t have confidence in the 2.0 technology and Jeep.
Check your state’s lemon laws. They vary greatly. Further south you go the worse they get.
Sorry to hear you had it worse off than me. Unfortunately it's too late for me to fight with Chrysler on the lemon law, and they know that. They've been jerking me around for the past 2 months about it. Sad to say that I truly don't care to buy another Chrysler product after this. I'll be going to Ford's and probably staying with them since it's what I do for work anyway. I know Ford's customer service is actually better(I've seen it first hand). Chrysler basically told me to F*** off and that was it.

R2019

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon
Good luck, I understand why you’re choosing a different direction.

OP
OP
Cmcclaflin31

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
Good luck, I understand why you’re choosing a different direction.
Thanks. It's a tough decision for me since I do have two older jeeps that I love. A 92 wrangler and an 82 J10 pickup which is in pieces right now(haven't had time to get back to it). I do wish it all went down differently and it had a better outcome, but I guess I'm one of the few that had this issue.
Sponsored