Reconatrek

First Name
Mamba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Hey Team,

So, after spending enough time going through the forums and reading on CAI and Exhaust options, it’s pretty clear that the engine modification scene for the 2.0 is bleak. What say you?

I’ve ordered a Borla Climber and am considering a Mishimoto CAI (despite recent accounts of CEL lights, issues regarding little pull above 75 and little to no difference in sound/power).

From what I’ve surmised from posts, I shouldn’t expect much in terms of gains on the butt dyno unless I tune the engine, which isn’t really an option if I want to maintain factor warranty.

Id love to get any sort of noticeable performance gain and/or improvement in the 2.0’s RC engine sound with strictly warranty-friendly bolt-ons. Anyone have a positive experience to share with a specific setup?
Sponsored

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Go with the Mishimoto IC pipe and GFB DV+ for dyno proven gains and better responsiveness. Aesthetically you'll get a bit more scream out of the engine as well. You could opt for the TurboSmart Dual Port BOV to get the classic turbo waste gate release but TS has had some issues with bad units reported by a handful of us, though overall it's been a solid product.

The Mishimoto CAI I would say is the best CAI you can get for the 2.0L compared to the others where at least one company had design flaws crippling owners in a game of install, uninstall, wait for replacements, etc... I'm going to have to troubleshoot my issues with flat spots at high-load, could be something upstream. Aside that, aesthetically I enjoyed the CAI cause you did get a bit more noise out of it over stock. But CAIs generally don't give you any performance gains straight out of the box without a tune.

As far as bolt-ons for guaranteed gains, Mishimoto IC pipe and GFB DV+ a lot of us are running and couldn't be happier. I would start there for sure.

If you can't get more power you can always try cutting weight. I was looking at the MagnaFlow Rock Crawler exhaust for better breathing and less restriction, on top of weight saving or the DynaMax muffler delete but there's mixed reviews on drone and enjoyment. I'd like to get rid of the heavy bread basket in the back (I think it's around 50lbs for the muffler alone?) for clearance on trails and wrenching but don't want to deal with drone or annoying exhaust tone.

VS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Ferrari 550, Honda S2000, VW GLI
The Mishimoto IC pipe and GFB DV+ seem like very reasonably priced upgrades. How much of an improvement does it make?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Dynomax muffler delete pipe on my 18 JLUR and there is absolutely no drone. It does change the exhaust tone, but I do not feel it is too loud or harsh. It is loud on a cold start, but does mellow out as engine temp comes up and idle RPM goes to normal. With the top and doors on, I can still have a conversation with all passengers and talk on my phone via bluetooth. I think it is a great deal for $100, mainly to get rid of the stock muffler and not having to worry about smashing it on rocks.

I don't have any other engine mods and won't until I'm out of warranty.

As others have said, there are really no gains to be had from a CAI, without extensive tuning to take advantage of the potential for greater air flow. My advice if you really want a CAI is to get one with a dry filter.

The oiled filters will pass aerosolized oil and very fine particles into the throttle body/intake and you will experience idle/drivability problems (at least) at some point in the future. You may also experience premature bearing failure due to the engine's ingestion of those particles. It is a fact that oiled filters are less restrictive and thus cannot trap small particulates like dry or stock type air filters can. Find someone who has been using an oiled air filter for awhile and look at the interior of the throttle body. They will have a black, gritty, oily coating on it.

I experienced this myself on my TJ with a CAI and will never ever use an oiled air filter again.

Sponsored

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@limeade That's good to know. I may experiment and take off the muffler and see how that sounds and if it's reasonable I'll buy the dynomax. It's inexpensive enough and setup/removal looks easy.

OP
OP
Reconatrek

Reconatrek

First Name
Mamba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Go with the Mishimoto IC pipe and GFB DV+ for dyno proven gains and better responsiveness. Aesthetically you'll get a bit more scream out of the engine as well. You could opt for the TurboSmart Dual Port BOV to get the classic turbo waste gate release but TS has had some issues with bad units reported by a handful of us, though overall it's been a solid product.

The Mishimoto CAI I would say is the best CAI you can get for the 2.0L compared to the others where at least one company had design flaws crippling owners in a game of install, uninstall, wait for replacements, etc... I'm going to have to troubleshoot my issues with flat spots at high-load, could be something upstream. Aside that, aesthetically I enjoyed the CAI cause you did get a bit more noise out of it over stock. But CAIs generally don't give you any performance gains straight out of the box without a tune.

As far as bolt-ons for guaranteed gains, Mishimoto IC pipe and GFB DV+ a lot of us are running and couldn't be happier. I would start there for sure.

If you can't get more power you can always try cutting weight. I was looking at the MagnaFlow Rock Crawler exhaust for better breathing and less restriction, on top of weight saving or the DynaMax muffler delete but there's mixed reviews on drone and enjoyment. I'd like to get rid of the heavy bread basket in the back (I think it's around 50lbs for the muffler alone?) for clearance on trails and wrenching but don't want to deal with drone or annoying exhaust tone.
Thanks for the reply, this is solid feedback. Any long term concerns with the GFB DV+? For example transmission and shift point timing inconsistency due to the variable valve release in the GFB DV+? IC pipes are relatively harmless. So that seems like a no brainer. I’m turned off of the CIA for the moment based on much of the feedback and post above about oiled air filters.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@limeade That's good to know. I may experiment and take off the muffler and see how that sounds and if it's reasonable I'll buy the dynomax. It's inexpensive enough and setup/removal looks easy.
Be careful judging the tone and potential for droning with the stock muffler/tail pipe assembly removed. With the stock parts removed, the exhaust will now be exiting directly under the tub and you may get some droning. I did my own "rock crawler" exhaust on a TJ where the tailpipe terminated under the tub, and the drone/resonance just about drove me crazy. Once I extended the tailpipe from under the tub to the rear (similar to the Dynomax kit), I no longer had any drone.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply, this is solid feedback. Any long term concerns with the GFB DV+? For example transmission and shift point timing inconsistency due to the variable valve release in the GFB DV+? IC pipes are relatively harmless. So that seems like a no brainer. I’m turned off of the CIA for the moment based on much of the feedback and post above about oiled air filters.
No long term concerns as far as I have researched. I've read that the GFB DV+ has been around long enough on numerous engines that it is fairly bullet, an improvement over stock which will eventually leak. Anecdotally I've had better response since installation. I previously had the TurboSmart recirculating BOV and had issues with the turbo being choked so had some experience on the other end of good. With the IC pipe you'll have a more enjoyable driving experience with a bit more power to the wheels.

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue

Sponsored

cool_it

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ballardphotos.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon; 2008 Liberty
Occupation
Fire Protection / Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the AFE version of the muffler delete and have a video. As others stated it is loud upon cold start but quiets down. On the road it's a deeper tone but not obnoxious. The audio on the video turned out decent if you play through something that provides bass.
Muffler Delete Video

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
EHS
I have the Dynomax muffler delete pipe on my 18 JLUR and there is absolutely no drone. It does change the exhaust tone, but I do not feel it is too loud or harsh. It is loud on a cold start, but does mellow out as engine temp comes up and idle RPM goes to normal. With the top and doors on, I can still have a conversation with all passengers and talk on my phone via bluetooth. I think it is a great deal for $100, mainly to get rid of the stock muffler and not having to worry about smashing it on rocks.

I don't have any other engine mods and won't until I'm out of warranty.

As others have said, there are really no gains to be had from a CAI, without extensive tuning to take advantage of the potential for greater air flow. My advice if you really want a CAI is to get one with a dry filter.

The oiled filters will pass aerosolized oil and very fine particles into the throttle body/intake and you will experience idle/drivability problems (at least) at some point in the future. You may also experience premature bearing failure due to the engine's ingestion of those particles. It is a fact that oiled filters are less restrictive and thus cannot trap small particulates like dry or stock type air filters can. Find someone who has been using an oiled air filter for awhile and look at the interior of the throttle body. They will have a black, gritty, oily coating on it.

I experienced this myself on my TJ with a CAI and will never ever use an oiled air filter again.
If I may say, I experienced that on my 6.4L Challenger with the stock oiled Mopar CAI and after installing an Oil Catch can did not have those issues anymore. May work the same for the Jeep but they want $$$$ for the oil catch cans I have seen.

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
EHS
Mishimoto's CAI is offered both in Dry (White) and Oiled (Maroon color) and you could switch the filters out. Also, if it's more power your after they have units such as the JB4 by Burger Motorsports but its gonna be a bit of $$$ and is removable without a trace unlike a PCM flash would.

OP
OP
Reconatrek

Reconatrek

First Name
Mamba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Mishimoto's CAI is offered both in Dry (White) and Oiled (Maroon color) and you could switch the filters out. Also, if it's more power your after they have units such as the JB4 by Burger Motorsports but its gonna be a bit of $$$ and is removable without a trace unlike a PCM flash would.
I’ve read terrible stories about oiled filters, so I like that they have the option for wet or dry. And I’ve read good things about the JB4, seems like nothing but positive feedback on the system so far, looking hard at that presently. Borla Climber should be here any day.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
Hey Team,

So, after spending enough time going through the forums and reading on CAI and Exhaust options, it’s pretty clear that the engine modification scene for the 2.0 is bleak. What say you?

I’ve ordered a Borla Climber and am considering a Mishimoto CAI (despite recent accounts of CEL lights, issues regarding little pull above 75 and little to no difference in sound/power).

From what I’ve surmised from posts, I shouldn’t expect much in terms of gains on the butt dyno unless I tune the engine, which isn’t really an option if I want to maintain factor warranty.

Id love to get any sort of noticeable performance gain and/or improvement in the 2.0’s RC engine sound with strictly warranty-friendly bolt-ons. Anyone have a positive experience to share with a specific setup?
Plenty of support out there. I installed the Race Chip GTS performance programmer (piggy back style). Mishimoto IC pipe, AFE intake filter, AFE muffler delete pipe, Pedal Commander throttle augmenter. Im not saying its a beast but its stupid how quick it is with 37's and stock 4.10 gears.
Sponsored