2” mopar vs 2.5” rough country suspension / spacer lift

Carlitox125

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord
I am trying to compare a 2” mopar lift ($1500ish) vs a 2.5” Rough Country suspension/Spacer Lift ($200-$300) in parts.

Can someone please go into detail about them and explain the pros/ cons and the ride quality of both. I only read of people installing the Mopar 2”, so I assume the Rough Country kit isn’t favorable.

Thank you
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I am trying to compare a 2” mopar lift ($1500ish) vs a 2.5” Rough Country suspension/Spacer Lift ($200-$300) in parts.

Can someone please go into detail about them and explain the pros/ cons and the ride quality of both. I only read of people installing the Mopar 2”, so I assume the Rough Country kit isn’t favorable.

Thank you
I absolutely love the Mopar lift, and the more I drive it, I appreciate it even more. That said, I've never heard a complaint about the RC kit. In fact, watch Lite Brite's channel on Youtube. You'll see there is no apparent limit to what that RC kit can do. My own brain and fear will limit me more than that kit. There used to be a stigma with spacer lifts, but I've had an AEV spacer lift for years on my JK with lots of off-roading, and no issue.

I can't speak to the ride or handling on the RC, but I suspect it is very close to stock, which is great. The Mopar, to me, rides a little softer than stock, but I've seen others who feel it rides a little stiffer. The Fox shocks are what I think makes the Mopar lift great, and you can now get Fox shocks on their own for about 600 bucks. I don't know if they have a similar tuning to the ones in the Mopar kit.

I know I didn't help you much, but again, watch that Youtube channel and you won't worry about limitations fo the RC.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I have the RC 2.5 with the shocks ,around 270. There is a rc kit for 400 with shocks and springs. My ride doesn't feel much different than what the stock Sahara suspension felt. I have the spacers now but thinking about doing the RC springs.

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I just installed the RC spacer lift and it is trash. You get what you pay for. It will work for a while while I wait for a better lift from TeraFlex.

If you want to get a lift and keep it, pay for the Mopar. Don’t buy RC shocks or springs. Judging from the quality of their products, I imagine the stock shocks and springs are much better.

Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just installed the RC spacer lift and it is trash. You get what you pay for. It will work for a while while I wait for a better lift from TeraFlex.

If you want to get a lift and keep it, pay for the Mopar. Don’t buy RC shocks or springs. Judging from the quality of their products, I imagine the stock shocks and springs are much better.
You put the RC shocks and springs on. What about it was trash?

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Bubba, you will find that 90% of Jeepers do not like RC suspensions. You will find some that do like their products. In other forums I've read that their springs sag and the shocks do not perform well. But again, that's what others have said. My buddy has the spacer lift on his JLUR and doesn't mind it at all. For $200, it's an inexpensive, wallet friendly lift.

I had a RC 20 inch light bar on my JKU, it was awesome and was still working perfectly after 2.5 years when I traded my JKU in.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh ok , I am going by my experience with the shocks, and the shocks are a new product and mine rides about the same. I'm not rock crawling with my Sahara. So I don't see what's junk about it. I didn't use the shock extenders. And have used spacers before on my rams. I used RC for a long time ,way back on my old blazers and trucks, steering stabilizers. Never had a steel spacer break. All depends on what you're doing with it. You don't even have it to know how it works. 1200 for the mopar lift with bowed springs, because that's the way they say there designed. I don't think so. I'll try the RC lifetime Springs and good return policy.

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Oh ok , I am going by my experience with the shocks, and the shocks are a new product and mine rides about the same. I'm not rock crawling with my Sahara. So I don't see what's junk about it. I didn't use the shock extenders. And have used spacers before on my rams. I used RC for a long time ,way back on my old blazers and trucks, steering stabilizers. Never had a steel spacer break. All depends on what you're doing with it. You don't even have it to know how it works. 1200 for the mopar lift with bowed springs, because that's the way they say there designed. I don't think so. I'll try the RC lifetime Springs and good return policy.
The springs were bowed because of a design flaw in the perches. If you order the Mopar lift now, it includes the corrected perches. Just received and installed mine..............no bowing at all.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it was screwed up and over price and now it's not. Like I said not everybody doesn't want the same thing. So for you to say its junk because you havnt had it, it does what I want.

Sponsored

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I absolutely love the Mopar lift, and the more I drive it, I appreciate it even more. That said, I've never heard a complaint about the RC kit. In fact, watch Lite Brite's channel on Youtube. You'll see there is no apparent limit to what that RC kit can do. My own brain and fear will limit me more than that kit. There used to be a stigma with spacer lifts, but I've had an AEV spacer lift for years on my JK with lots of off-roading, and no issue.

I can't speak to the ride or handling on the RC, but I suspect it is very close to stock, which is great. The Mopar, to me, rides a little softer than stock, but I've seen others who feel it rides a little stiffer. The Fox shocks are what I think makes the Mopar lift great, and you can now get Fox shocks on their own for about 600 bucks. I don't know if they have a similar tuning to the ones in the Mopar kit.

I know I didn't help you much, but again, watch that Youtube channel and you won't worry about limitations fo the RC.
The Fox shocks I’ve seen for the JL’s on the Fox site are only a 2” body, the Mopar kit comes with a 2.5” body.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
The Fox shocks I’ve seen for the JL’s on the Fox site are only a 2” body, the Mopar kit comes with a 2.5” body.
Yes. True. But you’ll never notice a difference between the two. 99.9% of people on this forum won’t wear out the cheapest shock made due to off-roading, let alone a Fox.

To the OP, Spacer lifts are just that. Cheap, easy and good enough to do most any trails, anywhere. There is nothing wrong with them. They are a means to an end. Those that say different are the same peeps that run their Jeep up a ramp at the mall and then post pics about how their $3000 lift is so badass. The point is, if you like a stock ride and want bigger tires the spacer lifts are terrific. If you want to spend lots of coin then buy what you want. Nothing wrong with either choice. Just depends on how light you want your wallet to be.

Look at it this way. The RC lift will cost you 250 bucks. If you want Fox shocks, add 650. The Mopar lift doesn’t sound too bad when you add control arms and springs. That’s a good value. Now, if you just want a lift for bigger tires and some moderate wheeling (hell even heavy wheeling) just stick with the $250 lift.

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yes. True. But you’ll never notice a difference between the two. 99.9% of people on this forum won’t wear out the cheapest shock made due to off-roading, let alone a Fox.

To the OP, Spacer lifts are just that. Cheap, easy and good enough to do most any trails, anywhere. There is nothing wrong with them. They are a means to an end. Those that say different are the same peeps that run their Jeep up a ramp at the mall and then post pics about how their $3000 lift is so badass. The point is, if you like a stock ride and want bigger tires the spacer lifts are terrific. If you want to spend lots of coin then buy what you want. Nothing wrong with either choice. Just depends on how light you want your wallet to be.

Look at it this way. The RC lift will cost you 250 bucks. If you want Fox shocks, add 650. The Mopar lift doesn’t sound too bad when you add control arms and springs. That’s a good value. Now, if you just want a lift for bigger tires and some moderate wheeling (hell even heavy wheeling) just stick with the $250 lift.
Regarding the Fox shocks size difference. I doubt the 2.5" model would retail for the same price as the 2". That was my main point, and should have clarified in my original post.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Regarding the Fox shocks size difference. I doubt the 2.5" model would retail for the same price as the 2". That was my main point, and should have clarified in my original post.
I gotcha. I’m not even sure they will make it but you are correct. If you’re going with a more expensive shock the mopar kit is the better value. If they do, it will probably be in the reservoir variety, which I would love to have but would never use to it’s fullest extent.

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Ok, I used the 2.5 spacer with extensions yesterday pretty hard. Although the physical quality is not as good as other budget boosts,
I only put the spacers on. No way am I putting $25 shocks and springs on a new $40,000+ vehicle.

The budget boost works fine. The only problem I foresee is the sway link bushings wearing out, as they have no mechanical joints, only rubber bushings. Which of course is fine for now, but maybe not the best for years of use.
Sponsored