Sponsored

1up Bike Rack with Reverse Side Plate Option is Perfect for JL!

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
My measurement from bottom of the rear spare tire to the top of the hitch is 4 1/8" (inner receiver dimension). I also measure 7 1/4" from the hitch to the outer surface of the rear wheel. That doesn't include the back-up camera, but I don't think that's a problem because of its height.

Below, and attached, are the dimensions that 1up staff provided on the reverse side plate. (I thought others may find them useful.)

I think the rack will clear the rear tire when it's in the flat or "ride" position (with bikes loaded), with the reverse side plate and no extension. While not in the diagram, 1up staff indicated that the distance from the hitch to the middle of the closest bike platform in the flat position is about 11 inches -- which is sufficiently greater than my measurement of 7 1/4".

In the up or storage position, the diagram below shows 3.77" from the top of the receiver (outside dimension, which could vary by hitch because of the lip). Or in the .pdf file I attached, they show 4.1" from the inside of the receiver to the top of the first bike platform. This is less than than my measurement (4 1/8" or 4.125"), but not by much.

Should the rack clear the spare tire in the up position, without a hitch extender, my sense is that it will be very close.

For me the major appeal to this setup is skipping the extenders, drop receivers, and so on.

1up-reverse side plate.png

1616088134330.png
I had the original sideplates on my 1Up with a standard hitch and it folded up fine on my Sahara with Rubicon wheels and KO2 33" tires. When I went to a LOD rear bumper with a built in hitch I had to run a drop hitch until I had custom sideplates made at a local machine shop, since 1Up refused to make straight sideplates. Now I run no drop hitch or extender and have about 3/4" of room between the spare and the rack when folded up. That's about the same as when I had the original bumper and hitch.
Sponsored

Reactions: kaz

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Got my Super Duty 1up double rack last week and it is a tight fit with my offset (my spare sticks out roughly 1.5" away from the tailgate) aftermarket rims and stock size Rubicon BF Goodrich TA's. I have a 2018 JLU Sahara with factory installed tow package.

The rack is inserted to the minimum 2" depth from the locking ball as required by 1up. My MTB fits with the crank arms snugly against the spare tire, no contact with the rim.

Jeep Wrangler JL 1up Bike Rack with Reverse Side Plate Option is Perfect for JL! IMG_0494

Jeep Wrangler JL 1up Bike Rack with Reverse Side Plate Option is Perfect for JL! IMG_0495

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Got my Super Duty 1up double rack last week and it is a tight fit with my offset (my spare sticks out roughly 1.5" away from the tailgate) aftermarket rims and stock size Rubicon BF Goodrich TA's. I have a 2018 JLU Sahara with factory installed tow package.

The rack is inserted to the minimum 2" depth from the locking ball as required by 1up. My MTB fits with the crank arms snugly against the spare tire, no contact with the rim.

Jeep Wrangler JL 1up Bike Rack with Reverse Side Plate Option is Perfect for JL! IMG_0495

May I recommend a pivot arm to add to your 1up? I have the same setup, big-time mtb'r, and added a Kuat Pivot v2 and it is a total game changer.

https://www.kuat.com/product/pivot-2/

I don't have pictures handy, but you can pivot the bike out on the 1up rack and open your tailgate to get your gear. Its perfect!

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
May I recommend a pivot arm to add to your 1up? I have the same setup, big-time mtb'r, and added a Kuat Pivot v2 and it is a total game changer.

https://www.kuat.com/product/pivot-2/

I don't have pictures handy, but you can pivot the bike out on the 1up rack and open your tailgate to get your gear. Its perfect!
Thanks for the recomnedation, but I want to keep things simple without $300+ add ons. Also not a fan of Kuat, I returned a Transfer V2 before i had the 1up. The tire holder popped loose a half dozen times. After the first few I started strapping the wheels down with Velcro, not impressed.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the recomnedation, but I want to keep things simple without $300+ add ons. Also not a fan of Kuat, I returned a Transfer V2 before i had the 1up. The tire holder popped loose a half dozen times. After the first few I started strapping the wheels down with Velcro, not impressed.
I'm not a fan of the Kuat either, but their Pivot is a solid piece of steel and I highly recommend that. Just thowing out there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Installed a Teraflex spare tire re-locator on my Sahara and set it to the largest tire size, and have a bunch of clearance now, but still can't quite flip up the rack to even the angled setting. So I buried the hitch in the receiver, and can now easily drop the rack and open the rear tailgate, which was impossible with the stock Sahara spare tire bracket. I have 285/70 17 tires.

Jeep Wrangler JL 1up Bike Rack with Reverse Side Plate Option is Perfect for JL! IMG_0566

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Installed a Teraflex spare tire re-locator on my Sahara and set it to the largest tire size, and have a bunch of clearance now, but still can't quite flip up the rack to even the angled setting. So I buried the hitch in the receiver, and can now easily drop the rack and open the rear tailgate, which was impossible with the stock Sahara spare tire bracket. I have 285/70 17 tires.

Jeep Wrangler JL 1up Bike Rack with Reverse Side Plate Option is Perfect for JL! IMG_0566
No idea why you were unable to fold it up. I have 35x12s and it folds up with a 1/2" to spare between the rack and tire.

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
No idea why you were unable to fold it up. I have 35x12s and it folds up with a 1/2" to spare between the rack and tire.
Well, it doesn't if I leave the required 2" of hitch behind the locking ball in the receiver. I would say it's due to my aftermarket offset rims.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Well, it doesn't if I leave the required 2" of hitch behind the locking ball in the receiver. I would say it's due to my aftermarket offset rims.
The hitch on my LOD bumper may be further out as well. I hadn't thought of that...

Sponsored

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Anyone need the reverse side plates, I don't use them and am looking to sell.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
First off, love my 1UP. I have a few extension options and I'm looking forward to adapting it to fit the Sport S I have on order.