Sponsored

1up Bike Rack with Reverse Side Plate Option is Perfect for JL!

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I just got my 1up rack with the reverse side plate option. I posted this in another thread but thought it may be worth its own thread. I will start by saying I have no affiliation with 1up. I actually tried to get them to give a discount if I posted some pics and showed how well the reverse side plate option worked on the jl but they wouldnt go for it. This thing is made like a tank and fits perfectly on the jeep. No rattles at all and it maintains ground clearance well while allowing you to open the tailgate when the rack is down. They dont advertise this option for some reason. Seems foolish to me since the rack fits horrible on the jl without it but its like its made for it with the option. I am just surprised how perfect it worked out and figured I would share since I had a tough time figuring out the best bike rack for the new jeep. This thing is expensive for a bike rack but so far I am real happy I pulled the trigger.

CE822A63-17F2-4A15-8F2C-9B9D4C898CA8.jpeg

EDDC7BC4-DA21-4969-8754-A81DF8C32595.jpeg

2D52FCC0-0656-4EC0-AA20-12F21E3E2AA1.jpeg
Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Can you load it up and post more photos of it working?

OP
OP
greenvillebigwheels

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Theres about a hundred review videos of this rack on youtube that will show how it works better than a couple photos for me. The only difference here is the side plates go down instead of up. Check out there standard super duty double rack and it will be clear what I mean. This makes it so the tailgate clears the rack when its down like my picture. Also when its up, instead of being vertical its on a small angle so it clears the spare like in my other photo.

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
What's the clearance distance between the lowest point of the rack and the ground?

OP
OP
greenvillebigwheels

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
What's the clearance distance between the lowest point of the rack and the ground?
Pretty much exactly 12” on a sport with stock 32” tires. I should also mention I am using the curt jl hitch which is perfect for this since its a bit longer than others. The rack is slid in all the way so that gives it plenty of adjustability for people with a little wider spare on the tailgate.

Sponsored

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty much exactly 12” on a sport with stock 32” tires. I should also mention I am using the curt jl hitch which is perfect for this since its a bit longer than others. The rack is slid in all the way so that gives it plenty of adjustability for people with a little wider spare on the tailgate.
I have a 1up paired with a drop hitch that has the same amount of clearance.

I had the same Curt hitch with the extended tongue on my JK and immediately put one on my JL as they are perfect for my bike racks. The only reason I use a drop hitch is to keep the backup camera from being obstructed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
greenvillebigwheels

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah you can get similar results with the standard 1up rack and a dropper/extension combo (and thats what I would have done if I already had a 1up rack) but if you dont already have one, this option is really clean and clears the tire and tailgate. I especially like that its only one thing to lock and cant rattle.

OP
OP
greenvillebigwheels

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Also, the curt hitch is awesome. Its really well made, made in usa, and has great hardware for only 80 bucks. I am really happy I didnt cheap out and buy one from amazon or quadratec that are made in china.

smarshall

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Yeah you can get similar results with the standard 1up rack and a dropper/extension combo (and thats what I would have done if I already had a 1up rack) but if you dont already have one, this option is really clean and clears the tire and tailgate. I especially like that its only one thing to lock and cant rattle.
If like me you already had the 1UP rack you can contact them and purchase the reverse side plates. I don' t think they are listed on the website. It's an easy swap. I heard about it from watching this video.

OP
OP
greenvillebigwheels

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
If like me you already had the 1UP rack you can contact them and purchase the reverse side plates. I don' t think they are listed on the website. It's an easy swap. I heard about it from watching this video.
good point! I didnt think about that. Also apparently 1up is awesome about parts. They will sell you anything at reasonable prices with free shipping, or at least thats what I heard. The glide bars are the most common wear part and they are only 9 bucks.

Sponsored

LIVESTRONG

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Thank you for posting this - I have been wanting to get a 1up rack since my brother in law got one for his RAM truck, but I wasn't sure if an extension was needed. This seems to be absolutely perfect!

OP
OP
greenvillebigwheels

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you for posting this - I have been wanting to get a 1up rack since my brother in law got one for his RAM truck, but I wasn't sure if an extension was needed. This seems to be absolutely perfect!
Yeah no prob. I would definitely get the cur hitch if you dont already have one or get the dimensions for the reverse plate rack from 1up if you have another hitch. My rack is all the way in so it gives me a lot of adjustment capability for the locking pin and slot on the rack if I get bigger tires down the line. The curt hitch extends out a bit farther so you would want to make sure whatever hitch you have will stick out enough. It should work but I cant guarantee it without you measuring with your hitch.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you so much! I'v been using a drop hitch on my 1up which is a PITA.

Kev84

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my 1up setup. I love this rack.
Kuat swing away Gen2 and it works perfect with my 35s. Before the swing away I had an extension on and worked good also. But with 35s I could not open the back all the way anymore. So got the swing away and keep my ground clearance in the back.

1up.jpg

1up2.jpg

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is my 1up setup. I love this rack.
I have a Rockymounts Backstage that swings out like the Rack Attach on my JK. Does it block the camera at all?
Sponsored