Sponsored

1st Time Buyer. 2.0 or 3.6? Leather color for summer

the3rdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2019 GCM Wrangler Rubi 2.0 turbo 2015 Ram Promaster City.. Past: 2016 VW Golf R 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2011 VW GTI
I had a 2010 with the 3.8 and it was a stick so I thought it had plenty of power.
I've never driven the 3.6 so I don't know
However I have a 2019 2 door with the 2.0 turbo and 35's and I will tell you its an absolute beast..
I'm a turbo guy and so far the engine is awesome!
Its actually petty quick!
Sponsored

Carnut12

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 BMW M4
I have been debating moving to a JL, for now I’m being patient and paying more down on my JK, I’m hoping some issues are worked out and thinking a Hard Rock or some other edition might come out.

That said my opinion is sales tell the story, lots are packed with 2.0’s for a reason, they had a rebate on 2.0’s for a reason, people aren’t buying them. I don’t mind the Turbo, but charging $1000 more for it in my opinion was their mistake, it should be a no cost option, even then I bet the 6 would outsell it. Auto manufacturers are switching to Turbos to get cheap power, in most cases this saves them Money, they are also changing due to fuel regulations. I’ve had many Turbo Cars, the lag can suck in real world situations.

As far as leather goes I currently have the optional AEV Upgraded leather and I like it, but I really like the aftermarket choices so I would probably go cloth. I wish they offered cloth with the upgraded dash and door panels still stiched, it looks so much better that way.

Good luck!!!!

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the 3.6l with cloth seats; very comfortable. I’ve recorded outside temps 95-100 on an August afternoon. This is the first vehicle where my butt and back doesn’t sweat after sitting on the seats for 10 minutes.

With the engine; I like a smooth, non spiky non-turbo, power delivery. I also desire a 6 speed manual. I don’t like the valve seat cleaning maintenance associated with direct injection. Yes you can run 87 octane fuel, but it’s with a considerable loss in performance. This leaves you with the higher cost of higher octane fuel. Last, but not least is the untested reliability of a very complex BSG 48 volt system.
What you said.

JLCashBurn

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Most people will suggest 1 engine over another because they have zero experience with the other. I test drove both the 3.6 and 2.0 - 100 miles each - and felt the 2.0 was the better drive with less sluggishness. Driving the JK 3.6 without a pedal commander or other throttle response enhancer was semi-awful. You wont need that on the 2.0.

I find it amusing to hear people cry about the longevity of a turbo when its fully covered under a warranty. Im sure the 3.6 will last forever and never need replacement parts..right? Ive had nothing but trouble with EVERY JEEP in the past when it gets beyond 70-75k miles, I wouldnt expect a whole lot better in the JL...2.0 or 3.6. Thats why I bought the extended 84k warranty...free brand new parts when things break and free labor. Its tough to be inconvenienced for a few days, whats a millennial to do?

As far as leather, color doesnt matter, just condition it 4 times a year and keep out of direct summer sun (aka sun visor & tint). UV rays are your #1 enemy

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I find it amusing to hear people cry about the longevity of a turbo when its fully covered under a warranty. Im sure the 3.6 will last forever and never need replacement parts..right? Ive had nothing but trouble with EVERY JEEP in the past when it gets beyond 70-75k miles, I wouldnt expect a whole lot better in the JL...2.0 or 3.6. Thats why I bought the extended 84k warranty...free brand new parts when things break and free labor. Its tough to be inconvenienced for a few days, whats a millennial to do?
Count me in the camp that worries about the longevity of the turbo, only because it has no long term track record yet. I also don't consider 84k miles that long. I shoot for at least 100k miles when I buy a vehicle. I have the lifetime warranty for my 3.6, but if the Jeep becomes more of a headache/heartache/repeated reliability concern, despite free labor and parts, its gone.

As I said in an earlier post, I hope the 2.0 is a great engine long term, but I opted for the 3.6 because of its current history.

Too Smalls

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have been debating moving to a JL, for now I’m being patient and paying more down on my JK, I’m hoping some issues are worked out and thinking a Hard Rock or some other edition might come out.

As far as leather goes I currently have the optional AEV Upgraded leather and I like it, but I really like the aftermarket choices so I would probably go cloth. I wish they offered cloth with the upgraded dash and door panels still stiched, it looks so much better that way.

Good luck!!!!
I chose cloth as well. The Texas heat is just too much for leather in the summer with the top off. The girlfriend would burn herself when she got in. That was her one stipulation when I ordered my JLUR. I did wish it came with the stitched dash though.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
Most people will suggest 1 engine over another because they have zero experience with the other. I test drove both the 3.6 and 2.0 - 100 miles each - and felt the 2.0 was the better drive with less sluggishness. Driving the JK 3.6 without a pedal commander or other throttle response enhancer was semi-awful. You wont need that on the 2.0.

As far as leather, color doesnt matter, just condition it 4 times a year and keep out of direct summer sun (aka sun visor & tint). UV rays are your #1 enemy
Does the engine warranty cover direct injection valve seat cleaning maintenance costs? How about the wear and tear on the turbocharger, BSG mechanical and electrical components? Turbochargers are known for failing around 100k.

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
So many opinions being thrown around.

Fact:
There are many turbo diesel and turbo gassers way past 100k and there are NA engines like the 3.8 and 3.6 that can't make it pass 50k. Vice versa.

The more you know the more you grow.

Sponsored

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
So many opinions being thrown around.

Fact:
There are many turbo diesel and turbo gassers way past 100k and there are NA engines like the 3.8 and 3.6 that can't make it pass 50k. Vice versa.

The more you know the more you grow.
Yes, you are 100% correct concerning turbos exceeding 100k. This requires dedicated oil changes with high quality synthetic oil. Correct warmups and cool downs.

There is still the unknown factor concerning this relatively new engine. You will definitely be one of the test subjects; I wish you good luck.

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
Yes, you are 100% correct concerning turbos exceeding 100k. This requires dedicated oil changes with high quality synthetic oil. Correct warmups and cool downs.

There is still the unknown factor concerning this relatively new engine. You will definitely be one of the test subjects; I wish you good luck.
Thank you, I wish you luck too.

The growth curve on technology advancements is so astronomical. This engine is really just a filler between the transition to going fully electric. The possibilities are going to be endless once electric cars, battery and battery related technology really get going. This will be my old school gasser/ battery/ turbo in 20 years when all new cars will be electric only. Boy, there are some dinosaurs in here. lol

I'm shocked most don't think of what it takes to run the BSG system and the actual benefits from the added and beefed up components required to run the BSG system. This system had to be reliable and robust enough for NY city's traffic and red lights every 50 to 100 ft. or Cali's rush hour traffic jam crawl while still making it pass 100k. I live in Florida, where the red lights can be miles apart. I'll take all of those robust components and extra torque without having the tax the system as much as say somebody that lives in NY.

Either way, I'm really happy with my decision and I think anyone who chooses that option will be happy as the person who picks the 3.6.

I guess I don't mind being a tester. I was a tester for so much from computers to cell phones to VR headsets to cameras to lipo batteries to bitcoin. You name it. I enjoyed all of the advancements I've grown with and learned from.

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I wish they offered cloth with the upgraded dash and door panels still stiched, it looks so much better that way.

Good luck!!!!
I would have done this especially if I could have also gotten a silver dash with dark cloth on the Rubi trim.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech

That said my opinion is sales tell the story, lots are packed with 2.0’s for a reason, they had a rebate on 2.0’s for a reason, people aren’t buying them. I don’t mind the Turbo, but charging $1000 more for it in my opinion was their mistake, it should be a no cost option, even then I bet the 6 would outsell it. Auto manufacturers are switching to Turbos to get cheap power, in most cases this saves them Money, they are also changing due to fuel regulations. I’ve had many Turbo Cars, the lag can suck in real world situations.
(snip)
Everyone has their opinions and preferences about turbo powerplants and that's the way it should be. No problem.

But to say that modern turbo motors are "cheap power" when compared to their NA counterparts, and thus imply that the 2.0T, is a money-saver for Jeep over the NA 3.6L and should be a 'free' option, is just plain wrong. You can bet your last buck that the 2.0T is a good deal more expensive than the 3.6L, and that's not even taking into account the big expensive 48v battery it requires. Given all the additional hardware, including stand-alone cooling systems, high-volt battery/controller, high pressure DI, and other tech the 2.0T includes over the 3.6L, a $1000 surcharge might barely cover its additional costs, much less any profit. Why would they sell a motor that doesn't make them any additional profit? To boost corporate CAFE ratings via the 2.0T's significantly improved EPA MPG ratings -- which as you might imagine, is a pretty big/important deal for any major manufacturer that makes SUV's.

Would I like the 2.0T to be a 'free' option? Sure, but there's no rationale to make that a reasonable expectation.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Good Evening. I am ready to buy my first Wrangler! Decided on Sahara I need some help, please. Comments on 3.6 or 2.0 with factory tow for towing approx 2,000 pop up. No interest in diesel, whenever that may come out. Any problems with 2.0? I’m nervous about it being new with no immediate history. I’ve had the 3.6 on my SUV for 3 yrs, no problems. Thanks so much! Unrelated - black leather or tan for summer use?
I ordered the 6cyl. The 2.0 engine scares the hell out of me. That engine is specifically made by Fiat and used in the Alpha Romeo right now. It's basically a sports car engine fitted to a Jeep. I would be VERY weary about this new engine, and resale value with a new 4cyl made by Fiat could be significantly lower then the proven 6cyl. I also read YouTube videos on the complexity of fitting and running the 4cyl turbo engine, and it wasn't a good thing. I honestly think it's nuts to get the 4 since I would say most Jeep Wrangler enthusiasts , I would be willing to bet, 8 out of 10 would be hesitant to buy one, especially used. The Wrangler has a %91 retained resale value , retail value, after 4 years. The highest of any vehicle on the road, including the Toyota Prius. UGGG. SO with all that said, get the 6. As for interior color, I ordered the tan/black. I love the way it looks. If you plan to go off road much get the black. The tan will be a pain in the ass to keep clean, even if you never see mud. I just love the look. Enjoy your new Jeep. Have a blast. Fantasy come true for many. I've had 4 in my younger life and loved them. This new Mojito Sahara is a dream. I cant wait to get it.
Sponsored