1st Time Buyer. 2.0 or 3.6? Leather color for summer

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
Engines are essentially broken-in at the factory nowadays. There's a little wear in the first bit of driving, but the hone is already off the cylinder walls by the time you're 100 miles down the road. The ECU just tunes itself based on conditions from fuel to air density, and you get acclimated to the vehicle. The break-in period is more about the transmission/differentials/etc. Either way, if that were true of the 3.6, it'd be true of the 2.0 (or any other engine for that matter). One could argue people aren't testing 'the optimum 2.0' based on your assertion regarding the 3.6.

The only thing that is likely happening re: engine after the initial hundred miles or so is the tune/timing being adjusted to match the petrol you use, and the throttle (not sure if it's dynamic on Jeeps) and transmission (not a function with your 6-speed) adapting to driving habits. I've never seen any engine I've data logged require 500+ miles to adjust to conditions and run optimally. You can run a used oil analysis (I've done this on all of my built engines) on samples taken at intervals during break-in, and see when the wear slows down.

I'll duck out now, I've been a part of polluting OPs thread enough. Congrats again!
I disagree with you on the break-in. When I applied the throttle within the first 500 miles, it was a complete dog. As I stated above I didnā€™t get optimum performance until I reached 1500 miles. I know what I felt and what I felt was complete sluggishness. This is much easier to quantify with a 6 speed because you have to shift to keep the engine in its powerband. The automatic will shift itself without you knowing it unless you actually pay attention.

The 2.0 has a benefit with its initial 500 miles or so, in that the 4 cylinders are, .1 liters each, smaller resulting in less friction. The drivetrain, connecting rods and crank will all have considerably less friction because of the two less in quantity and overall size compared to the 3.6. Also because the 2.0 only comes with an automatic; this reverts back to what I said above concerning shifting versus the 6 speed manual. One other thing is the turbo would probably help it out somewhat with an initial break-in.

Itā€™s time to compare seat of the pants performance with apples to apples instead of apples to bananas. The only way this can be accurately done is when theyā€™re both broken in at 2k miles.
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
My JLUR was on 37s when I got rid of it with about 5k on it. Auto. I was impressed the entire time I drove it. Stock and 37s. I test drove another 2.0 on Saturday. I think the 3.6 has a bit more tip in power. But as I have said throughout this thread, the 2.0 will run circles around the V6 at altitude. I mean that little motor had a crap ton of mid range power, that the 6 just lacks. Period. My 6 on all three of my other Jeeps never ran any better at any point in their break in. Iā€™m sure most of it is altitude. Remember, at 7000 ft naturally aspirated engines lose somewhere around 25-28% of its power, where a turbo loses very little. Most of you guys living near sea level donā€™t realize the power difference between the two motors, because the power is so close per the numbers.

I guess the point is, where do you live? At seal level I would probably buy the 6. The gas mileage isnā€™t the issue. When I finally find my JLR it will be the turbo up here.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
My JLUR was on 37s when I got rid of it with about 5k on it. Auto. I was impressed the entire time I drove it. Stock and 37s. I test drove another 2.0 on Saturday. I think the 3.6 has a bit more tip in power. But as I have said throughout this thread, the 2.0 will run circles around the V6 at altitude. I mean that little motor had a crap ton of mid range power, that the 6 just lacks. Period. My 6 on all three of my other Jeeps never ran any better at any point in their break in. Iā€™m sure most of it is altitude. Remember, at 7000 ft naturally aspirated engines lose somewhere around 25-28% of its power, where a turbo loses very little. Most of you guys living near sea level donā€™t realize the power difference between the two motors, because the power is so close per the numbers.

I guess the point is, where do you live? At seal level I would probably buy the 6. The gas mileage isnā€™t the issue. When I finally find my JLR it will be the turbo up here.
I understand your circumstances of being at such a high altitude. I'm at 1100 ft and rarely exceed 2000 ft and will drop to maybe 400-500 ft. above sea level on a daily basis. I'm extremely satisfied with performance of the 3.6.

As far as break-in, what I experienced was the engine was tight until I hit 1500 miles and then around 2500 miles, I felt it finally open up completely. My JLR has around 5300 miles, stock with only aftermarket wheels on OEM 33" BFG KO2's.

As I also stated; when you have a 6 speed manual you have to conscientiously shift to stay in a decent powerband. As mileage accrued I didn't have to downshift so much to keep moving at the desired mph on any given terrain. With an automatic the shifting can be imperceptive where you might not necessarily know the tranny is shifting to stay at the desired speed.

That was the one thing my dealer salesman said as well; the engines don't have to be broken-in at all that much. When I explained to him what I experienced above and asked if he took a manual out; he said no.

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
This post has plenty of responses but Iā€™ll throw mine on here anyway....I went with a white Sahara with tan leather. My wife likes the ā€œsummer beachyā€ look and I like that both color options are better at reflecting heat.

That said, something worth considering.....a lot of the initial upgrades Iā€™ve eyed and passed on (like black rims, black replacement grill etc) would have added a lot more heavy black on the outside. Even though they would look awesome on the outside, it would make the tan leather seats look out of place. Iā€™ve found myself staying away from black upgrades just to keep a chrome and white (ā€œbeachyā€) look to go with the tan seats. Not a bad thing, but just different looks when it is all said and done.

If you want a bad@ss sporty looking Wrangler, go black seats. If you want a light summer beach look, go tan and plan on staying away from a lot of other black options.

Last edited:

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
I have the 3.6 in mine but had the 2.0 been available when I got it I probably would have 2.0. I haven't driven one but I would imagine at elevation the 2.0 turbo would kick the crap out of a 3.6 up a hill. I'm slightly partial to turbos though. I put one on my pickup and does burn outside at freeway speeds.

Sponsored

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
A Turbo motor will make more power than a NA or supercharged motor in hot weather also. No matter what the elevation or temperature the wastegate will compensate for it and stuff about the same amount of air in your motor.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Less than 100 on each. I took out a 2.0 Sahara, then Rubicon. Then the 3.6 Rubicon. Of course, I had to try the new Ram 1500 with the 5.7 before the Jeeps, just to rule it out.
Ha, I ended up with a 3.6 JLUR and an all new Ram with the 5.7L Hemi.

The Ram is awesome and rides like a luxury car. The JLUR is nothing special. I just like jeeps.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Thank you all so much for your help! I picked up my ā€˜18 JLUR yesterday - the dealer found one nearby with 98% of the options I was looking for. Ocean Blue, tan leather, 3.6L

7FB92B38-12B3-4B7E-A677-5CADB828BBC7.jpeg

78FD3B15-0B2D-4DB8-86CF-BD4B9501A17C.jpeg
Honestly, The Wrangler in this Blue, and Mojito like mine, are freakin GORGEOUS. Nothing to me looks better then a Wrangler. Nothing. I got a Sahara in the Majito and black top with Tan leather. Just got back from Boston car show with my wife today. So much fun to drive 4 hours on the highway, much nicer then I expected. Have fun, enjoy the ride.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
IMO, it's a generational preference. The young, 20's to mid 40's, will be drawn to the 2.0; I call them the fast an furious crowd. They believe technology, BSG, turbocharging, Direct Injection; is a good thing. This age group thinks the higher tech something is, the better it will perform. They need the latest in technology; just look at the cell phone craze whenever a new iPhone comes out they have to go and buy it, trading in their old, one year old, outdated phone.
I just got an IPHONE 10Max and love it. LOL. I got the 6 because it has a known history. The 4 doesn't. The 4 is also too new and too complicated in my book to take a chance on a 50K vehicle. Too risky in my opinion.

OP
OP
Janne

Janne

First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue , ā€˜96 BMW 328i Convertible
Honestly, The Wrangler in this Blue, and Mojito like mine, are freakin GORGEOUS. Nothing to me looks better then a Wrangler. Nothing. I got a Sahara in the Majito and black top with Tan leather. Just got back from Boston car show with my wife today. So much fun to drive 4 hours on the highway, much nicer then I expected. Have fun, enjoy the ride.
Thank you. Mojito was my second choice. I drove it into Boston on Thursday night - my first highway ride. Not a problem, 75+, Loving it so far. Itā€™ll be interesting to see How it handles the snow this weekend!

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Good Evening. I am ready to buy my first Wrangler! Decided on Sahara I need some help, please. Comments on 3.6 or 2.0 with factory tow for towing approx 2,000 pop up. No interest in diesel, whenever that may come out. Any problems with 2.0? Iā€™m nervous about it being new with no immediate history. Iā€™ve had the 3.6 on my SUV for 3 yrs, no problems. Thanks so much! Unrelated - black leather or tan for summer use?
3.6 is proven, but the 2.0Turbo is more fun. Hmmm... tough decision. Iā€™m contemplating the same. As for black or tan leather? Neither. Go with black cloth. Jeepā€™s leather is not that good with regards to quality and trust me... cloth is a lot more comfortable in the winter and summer when compared to leather.

2019RUBI

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Camry, 2017 Camaro 2SS, 1990 Mustang, 2019 Rubi on order
I was in the same boat as you trying to figure out the last few options before I placed the order for my JLUR. I'm going with Ocean Blue for mine and I had a hard time deciding on Leather. I also knew I wanted the red dash so my only real choce was black.

At the end of the day I decided to go with cloth. My reasoning was this. It reduces the cost of the truck by $1500 and you are llimited to Light Tan or Black. Neither of which I really cared for. I looked into Katzkin and talked to a couple of their preferred dealers in my area. With Katzkin I can pretty much have any color i want and the cost with installation is $1200 again, in my area. So better selection of colors and patterns plus cheaper cost. The decision made itself.

As for the 2.0 vs the 3.6. I drove both and the 2.0 is a bit peppier but I don't care for the fact that it's mild hybrid and it's the first year of the new technology in the Jeep so I went with the 3.6. If there is one thing I've learned with buying cars, you never buy the first year of a new modle and you don't buy the first year of any signiciacnt model change. This si the very reason why I had no interest in the 2018 model so the decision made itself on that one for me as well.

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
Good Evening. I am ready to buy my first Wrangler! Decided on Sahara I need some help, please. Comments on 3.6 or 2.0 with factory tow for towing approx 2,000 pop up. No interest in diesel, whenever that may come out. Any problems with 2.0? Iā€™m nervous about it being new with no immediate history. Iā€™ve had the 3.6 on my SUV for 3 yrs, no problems. Thanks so much! Unrelated - black leather or tan for summer use?
I love my 3.6!

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
That's a great looking ride, love the blue!
Sponsored