1st Time Buyer. 2.0 or 3.6? Leather color for summer

Janne

First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue , ‘96 BMW 328i Convertible
Good Evening. I am ready to buy my first Wrangler! Decided on Sahara I need some help, please. Comments on 3.6 or 2.0 with factory tow for towing approx 2,000 pop up. No interest in diesel, whenever that may come out. Any problems with 2.0? I’m nervous about it being new with no immediate history. I’ve had the 3.6 on my SUV for 3 yrs, no problems. Thanks so much! Unrelated - black leather or tan for summer use?
Sponsored

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Good Evening. I am ready to buy my first Wrangler! Decided on Sahara I need some help, please. Comments on 3.6 or 2.0 with factory tow for towing approx 2,000 pop up. No interest in diesel, whenever that may come out. Any problems with 2.0? I’m nervous about it being new with no immediate history. I’ve had the 3.6 on my SUV for 3 yrs, no problems. Thanks so much! Unrelated - black leather or tan for summer use?
The 3.6 is a proven engine. IMO, with everything else that is redesigned on this jeep, it’s nice to have somewhat peace of mind in that aspect. Towing shouldn’t be an issue in that range either.

As for the leather, I guess it depends... are you concerned about the heat?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
3.6. You’re welcome.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Its Mopar anything new will be broken down or bursting into flames for another 3-4 years, so get the 2.0 if you like Adventure! imagine all the people you will meet! Tow truck drivers, Uber drivers, and service technicians will all soon be a big part of your day to day!

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I went with the 3.6 because of its history. Don't get me wrong, I hope the 2.0 proves to be great, I just wanted and felt more comfortable with something with history.

As far as black leather or tan leather for the summer, I went with black cloth. The Jeep leather didn't impress me. And when I found a Rubicon with the cloth on a dealer lot, I thought it would be great. But I don't have any summer experience with it yet. I do recommend finding a cloth example to look at before you make your choice, at least to see if you think it will work. And if you don't like the cloth, you can upgrade it to Katzkin leather, for about the same price as the Jeep leather, only it looks nicer.

Sponsored

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
lol, You 3.6 guys crack me up......

Anyways as far as 2.0T vs 3.6, I would say test drive them both and see which one you like. I've had two JK with the 3.6 auto and now the JL with the 2.0T. The obvious choice for me was the 2.0T. It has more torque which is good for towing or in town driving or really just good to have period. Also receiving up to 21 mpgs in all city driving spinning 33s is a really good feeling while doing so so effortlessly. Oddly enough there were some minor problems, production hiccups if you will, which were all addressed (lucky) by the time I received mine but no known problems with the 2.0T engine itself. Weird.

With the leather color just get ceramic tints and call it a day. Keep your car cool and yourself discreet, while looking good.

Haters gunna hate.....

Either way they are both nice. But boost is always more fun, The Jeep is intended to be fun. Be fun. Get the 2.0T. =)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I think the choice of leather color option really matters on those summer days with the top off. My tan leather seats this summer didn’t ever get so hot that I couldn’t sit on them comfortably, and they look quite nice.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I would go 3.6, however, the 3.6 is becoming difficult/a lengthy wait to obtain. FCA is really pushing the 2.0 and keeps putting holds on 3.6 production.

Personally, I would go with the cloth, as you don't have issues with it getting hot. However, if your preference is set on leather, go with Tan.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
the 3.6 is becoming difficult/a lengthy wait to obtain. FCA is really pushing the 2.0 and keeps putting holds on 3.6 production.
Cause everyone wants one, the 3.6L that is! :)

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I really thought about the 2.0 because they are everywhere, 3.6 is hard to find. I decided to order a 3.6. When you factor in premium fuel for the 2.0 the 3.6 is cheaper. Also the 2.0 is 1k more with an auto. All that aside i like boost but i am not buying this for a performance vehicle, i already have a money pit in my garage for that. But all in all i am just not a fan of manufacturers sticking small boosted engines in big heavy vehicles. I will wait the 8 weeks for what i want.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I have the cloth and I'm grateful for it in both summer (not hot) and winter (warmer - not frozen like leather in deep winter)
Ive got 3 boys and a dog. Holding up perfectly fine. Sprayed fabric with 303 fabric guard.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Seems to be the case. I don't think a 4 cylinder turbo is a great choice for a jeep. 6 cylinder turbo would have seen more popular.
Agreed, not to knock anyone who went with the 2.0L T I think it was a great idea but I think the 3.0L T would have been a better option from the start against the 3.6L NA. I bet sales between the 3.0L T would have been about even vs the 3.6L NA IMO. Hindsight is always 20/20 though I suppose.

Just happy with my 3.6L that’s all.

Ideally I’d like to get a supercharger.

Imagine a 3.6L supercharged. Niiiiceee!
Sponsored