1st oil change for diesel?

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I love doing maintenance myself but I will definitely let the dealer do it for the first three. The proper spec Pennzoil is available on Amazon for less than $7 per quart. I got an extra to keep in her Jeep just in case it needs one between oil changes.
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Dealer uses OEM parts and FCA recommended syn 5-40 oil. Maintenance is covered for three years you're wasting your money
The dealership usually has their worst employees doing oil changes. They don't properly torque the filter, they put in the wrong oil, they don't clean up the oil they spill inside the engine bay. They are incompetent and don't care about your Jeep.

There are times when "free" isn't worth it.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Make sure the dealer uses the correct oil. They put in Rotella for me, and I had them change to the one that met the spec for 3rd Gen EcoDiesel.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Dealer uses OEM parts and FCA recommended syn 5-40 oil. Maintenance is covered for three years you're wasting your money
Not sure that it's a waste of money if you count the oh shit factor. Lots of stuff can go wrong when the shop's least qualified technician works on your Jeep. There have been a dozen instances on here where the dealer used the wrong oil. Not to mention scratches, joy rides, and residual mess. I once found a half-eaten burrito seeping into the leather seats of my new GC in for its first oil change.

Plus...it is the world's easiest oil change.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Plus...it is the world's easiest oil change.
Exactly. I put a F106S Fumoto valve on my oil pan during my first oil change. Now I literally flip the lever, unscrew the top load oil filter while the oil pan is draining, screw the new filter in, then reach under and flip the lever closed. It's literally a 10 minute job at max and I know it was done with proper materials.

Sponsored

JL_Wildlife

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Turbo Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Just had my first oil change for my 21’ JLUR Diesel, did it right at 6850 Miles on the odometer before I went on a 1200 mile road trip. The dealer was out of Diesel oil filters and had to call other Jeep dealers locally to get one, now with just over 8000 miles on the diesel, I have nothing but great things to say about this vehicle. I also got the extended maintenance package, if I had to pay the dealer here in San Diego, they are charging $300 for a diesel oil change now 🤯

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Just had my first oil change for my 21’ JLUR Diesel, did it right at 6850 Miles on the odometer before I went on a 1200 mile road trip. The dealer was out of Diesel oil filters and had to call other Jeep dealers locally to get one, now with just over 8000 miles on the diesel, I have nothing but great things to say about this vehicle. I also got the extended maintenance package, if I had to pay the dealer here in San Diego, they are charging $300 for a diesel oil change now 🤯
What was the oil % @ 6850

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

My guess - around 26-30% oil life left.
IMO The on board diagnostic oil life indicator is the best parameter To use indicating when an oil change oil change is due I personally never go below 30%. The oil breakdown and clogging of the filter could vary, Often dependent on your driving style towing versus non towing, Driving in hot climates and we and wheeling your rig on a regular basis.

HBDiesel

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler 2018 Tundra 2018 4Runner 69 Chevelle
Done the first oil change/filter at 600 miles.
I don’t let dealers do anything unless it’s a warranty item (never had a vehicle needing warranty work though) will do the next around 5000. I don’t trust that oil filter it looks to be paper. Hopefully someone will make a microglass oil filter.

Sponsored

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
Which dealership in SD did you get the work done with? I’m in the same area. I bought mine in National City but it’s not very convenient to go down there to get work done.

JL_Wildlife

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Turbo Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
My guess - around 26-30% oil life left.
I'll have to go back and look at the report, I believe it was around 15-20% so maybe I was burning a little extra oil with offroading our here in the desert

JL_Wildlife

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Turbo Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Which dealership in SD did you get the work done with? I’m in the same area. I bought mine in National City but it’s not very convenient to go down there to get work done.
I bought mine from San Diego Chrystler Dodge Jeep Ram: 777 Camino del Rio S, San Diego, CA 92108. They are usually pretty busy there but so far their service department has done a good job to help with questions and It's been a good experience with them so far

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered my JLURD Jan 2022/Arrived Feb 25th 2022
This was my first ever Diesel Engine that I have owned and is my DD
Currently 3300 miles/Dash Indicator says 60% oil life currently
Owners manual says not to exceed 10,000 or 12 months
I'm planning on first oil change around 7500 miles.
And yes, I plan to take advantage of the Jeep Wave free oil change program.
I also plan to change the fuel filter/all filters @ same time
Averaging both city/hwy around 23-24 mpg during normal operation
I beach crawl at 10mph weekly, I still average over 20mpg
Lastly, I filled up the DEF @ around 2200 miles and decided to drive up to Buc-cees as they have DEF/Diesel pumps
Absolutely love this Diesel so far 😎🔥👍
Hope it lasts long time 🙏
Best of luck
20220522_103437.jpg
20220530_112028.jpg
Sponsored