1st Jeep owned ......Questions on suspension modifications

Latvia1971

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0 L diesel
Hell yeah! I was born in Southern California and Baja bugs in Glamis are a family past time. I was young when we left, and never had an opportunity to do much myself unfortunately but i still love the desert rigs.

As for Jeeps, it’s definitely not a one size fits all hobby. What are your plans with your rig? Rock crawler? Overlander? Somewhere in the middle? Depending on how far you plan on building your rig you might start a build thread with a general idea of your intended use and look for community input there. It’s a big enough question that it deserves its own thread.
So.....i am a new Jeep owner residing up in the Pacific Northwest.....i have owned off road vehicles before but never a Jeep.....looking for impute and or advice on a overall build i currently own a 2021 Jeep Rubicon Diesel unlimited......commute to work with it and i have all intentions of taking on local runs and trails.....also hopefully making back down to the desert some day.......build buget .......well? Undecided on buget but i know it can cost money to play offroad.
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Awesome, thanks for making a new thread, it helps to keep the other one from getting cluttered and off topic. It also gets more eyeballs on it so others can provide input.

Fit’s things first; Congratulations! Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the awesome world of Jeeping. I find it to be a deeply rewarding hobby full of great people and hope you will be lucky enough to do the same.

Sounds like you will be trail riding in the PNW. I haven’t had the pleasure of doing so but I believe it to be loomy forest trail with lots of trees and some rock crawling to be had in areas. Correct me if I’m wrong, like I said, I’ve never wheeled there.

Generally Jeep builds fall into one of two categories, or somewhere on a sliding scale between the two. This is not to say you are exclusively limited to these two categories, just that a lot tend to fall somewhere in between.

Are you the type to pack up the Jeep and get lost in the woods? Do you like camping and having all the gear that goes with it? Roof top tents, fridges, extra gas (diesel?), tables, good eating, comfy chairs? If so you will be looking to build an overland rig.

Are you the type to chase harder and more technical trails? Do you like pushing the limits of your rig? If so you want a rock crawler.

These are on different ends of a spectrum. Typically rock crawlers are built bigger, lighter, and with attention to maintaining a lower center of gravity. You won’t often see a roof top tent on a rock crawler because it places weight up high and makes it more likely to roll over. Thus is not to say you should build exclusively one or the other, you should build something that does what you want to do. I like to think I’m somewhere in the middle, possibly leaning a bit on the heavier overland style of build. It’s still very capable but I’ve added a lot of weight, and that negatively affects Jeepeto III’s off road capability.

I would determine how you plan to use your rig, and use that to guide your build plan. After you determine what you want, and your budget, others will be able to offer suggestions as to what parts and gear may work for your build.

OP
OP
Latvia1971

Latvia1971

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the impute, i guess i am looking for a all around good build.....nothing larger than a 37 inch tire ......which will most definitely require a re gear of probably a 4.56 also i do not know what manufacturers are reliable i hear alot in regards to Metal Cloak , EVO and Clayton......also shock wise in the past my vehicle's have typically run Bilstien or a FOX shock set up but that was designed for more high speed desert conditions......buget wise i guess that is open....i do not have the time to wrench on it myself unfortunately......so that is a start any impute from this forum would be gladly accepted.

mark203

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

Just a thought - your vehicle is impressively capable as-is. You might want to try it out in the kind of terrain you want to explore, then look at countermeasures to problems you actually encounter.

And welcome to the forum from Everett - just a bit north of you.

OP
OP
Latvia1971

Latvia1971

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a thought - your vehicle is impressively capable as-is. You might want to try it out in the kind of terrain you want to explore, then look at countermeasures to problems you actually encounter.

And welcome to the forum from Everett - just a bit north of you.
Thanks for the impute.........I am finding this forum quite informative.

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Thanks for the impute, i guess i am looking for a all around good build.....nothing larger than a 37 inch tire ......which will most definitely require a re gear of probably a 4.56 also i do not know what manufacturers are reliable i hear alot in regards to Metal Cloak , EVO and Clayton......also shock wise in the past my vehicle's have typically run Bilstien or a FOX shock set up but that was designed for more high speed desert conditions......buget wise i guess that is open....i do not have the time to wrench on it myself unfortunately......so that is a start any impute from this forum would be gladly accepted.
@mark203 brings up an excellent point. If you’ve never wheeled a Jeep they are impressively capable in stock form. It never hurts to get some seat time and find the limitations of your rig.

As for an all round rig on 37s, I just built a rig for that. Link to build thread in signature 👇

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I know AEV's lift works with the diesel, it's a 2.5" lift which on a Rubicon clears 37's fine. The kit has geometry correction brackets and Bilstein Shocks. I would recommend getting an adjustable track bar on the front. the rear has a relocation bracket so it's not necessary unless unless you're not a fan of relocation brackets.

OP
OP
Latvia1971

Latvia1971

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know AEV's lift works with the diesel, it's a 2.5" lift which on a Rubicon clears 37's fine. The kit has geometry correction brackets and Bilstein Shocks. I would recommend getting an adjustable track bar on the front. the rear has a relocation bracket so it's not necessary unless unless you're not a fan of relocation brackets.
I feel it would be better off with track bars front and rear correct? What are you thoughts .....i am very new and inexperienced at setting up jeeps ....i took her on some trails last weekend and with the stock suspension i was impressed....but the last thing i want to do is not set up my 58K dollor new toy properly ....thanks

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
I'm curious as to how you know you need to mod your Jeep? Have you reached its limitations for the types of activities you are doing?

As a recent new owner of a Willys 2 door sport my plan is to wheel the thing until I find what its limitations are the for the types of trails I am doing. Currently the limitations of me are far greater than the limitations of the Jeep.

OP
OP
Latvia1971

Latvia1971

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious as to how you know you need to mod your Jeep? Have you reached its limitations for the types of activities you are doing?

As a recent new owner of a Willys 2 door sport my plan is to wheel the thing until I find what its limitations are the for the types of trails I am doing. Currently the limitations of me are far greater than the limitations of the Jeep.
I agree with your statement and you are correct about the jeep being very capable but after taking it up to some local trails being completely stock i did run into a couple areas where additional travel and larger tires would be nice to have.......i am still in the research phase of suspension modifications for jeeps....thanks for you impute. Mark

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You haven't really said anything about what you want to do with your rig except local trails. What does that mean?

37" tires are WAAAYYYYYY overkill for most trails, but if that's what you really want or need say that, directly, ask what's the best lift and gearing for 37" tires. Or, tell us exactly what you're going to do. I'm not understanding what you're trying to get out of this thread.

I will say, from my own PNW experience, you should probably start with traction. How do you maintain traction. Good tires, keeping them on the ground and spinning. If you're not high-centering, than don't lift, just put some good tires on it and you have the lockers, so run-what-you-brung. If you high-center, then add a little lift or taller tires. Smallest lift necessary to clear the tires that provide the ground clearance you need to clear the obstacles on the trails you'll run.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The wheelbase of the unlimited begs for at least a 2” lift and 35’s in my opinion. We skipped that step and went 2.5” lift and 37’s after a year of what felt like belly dragging on most obstacles. Yes there are skids and rock rails so the Jeep is plenty capable of getting through trails stock, but dragging $60k across rocks just doesn’t give me the warm fuzzies. You’ll be surprised, especially with the diesel, how well it drives even on 37’s without a regear. I really like the ride of the icon springs. For the PNW stage 4 would be plenty, if you plan on go fast desert trips I’d step up to the stage 5 with reservoir shocks. Not the cheapest way to get 2.5” of lift, but quality and complete kits. That and a quality 37 and you’ll be amazed where the Jeep will take you. I’d add at minimum an engine skid, or go full belly skid and be done with it. With as tight as some of the trails are up there and as slick as the muddy ones get, I’d also upgrade to a slider with some stick out to it that really helps keep the body off the trees and rocks.

OP
OP
Latvia1971

Latvia1971

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The wheelbase of the unlimited begs for at least a 2” lift and 35’s in my opinion. We skipped that step and went 2.5” lift and 37’s after a year of what felt like belly dragging on most obstacles. Yes there are skids and rock rails so the Jeep is plenty capable of getting through trails stock, but dragging $60k across rocks just doesn’t give me the warm fuzzies. You’ll be surprised, especially with the diesel, how well it drives even on 37’s without a regear. I really like the ride of the icon springs. For the PNW stage 4 would be plenty, if you plan on go fast desert trips I’d step up to the stage 5 with reservoir shocks. Not the cheapest way to get 2.5” of lift, but quality and complete kits. That and a quality 37 and you’ll be amazed where the Jeep will take you. I’d add at minimum an engine skid, or go full belly skid and be done with it. With as tight as some of the trails are up there and as slick as the muddy ones get, I’d also upgrade to a slider with some stick out to it that really helps keep the body off the trees and rocks.
So in a prior reply a person stated 37 inch tires would be overkill.....i kinda want to disagree but like i said my experience with jeeps are limited i lived in the desert southwest for 25 yrs we ran Baja bugs and very fast pre runners so i kinda get the drift of what quantity suspension and larger tires can get you.....i found out in stock trim a 4 door jeep unlimited just needs about a 2.5 to 3 inch lift and a larger tire to make it just tad bit more capable here in the northwest on the rocky slick....stump infested trails....just my thoughts.......i appreciate your response. Thanks Mark

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I feel it would be better off with track bars front and rear correct? What are you thoughts .....i am very new and inexperienced at setting up jeeps ....i took her on some trails last weekend and with the stock suspension i was impressed....but the last thing i want to do is not set up my 58K dollor new toy properly ....thanks
I'd probably get a front track bar at minimum. I personally am ok with a relocation bracket for the rear track bar.
Sponsored