Sponsored

1st detailing of my new 2024 Rubicon -- advice?

gonzoflick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Just got my brand new jeep. Love it. Was going to detail it. Here is what I was thinking
  1. Wash
  2. Dry with microfiber
  3. Iron-X
  4. Wash again
  5. Clay Bar - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BDF9EFS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
  6. Polish ?
  7. Remove Polish ?
  8. Ceramic Coat - https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-5...53&sprefix=hybrid+ceramic+coat,aps,101&sr=8-5
  9. Wash again and dry
So my question is...A are these two products decent to use? B) do i really need to polish a brand new vehicle? if so what products would you recommend?
Sponsored

Bobby Hank

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Wrangler Rubicon X 2D
Occupation
Educator
My
Just got my brand new jeep. Love it. Was going to detail it. Here is what I was thinking
  1. Wash
  2. Dry with microfiber
  3. Iron-X
  4. Wash again
  5. Clay Bar - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BDF9EFS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
  6. Polish ?
  7. Remove Polish ?
  8. Ceramic Coat - https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53409-Solutions-Coating-16/dp/B07XYPS3PS/ref=sr_1_5?crid=HJLD2ITQ8OEW&keywords=hybrid+ceramic+coat&qid=1701098953&sprefix=hybrid+ceramic+coat,aps,101&sr=8-5
  9. Wash again and dry
So my question is...A are these two products decent to use? B) do i really need to polish a brand new vehicle? if so what products would you recommend?
salesman at the dealer is a friend off the lot, and he had my '24 ceramic polished for me. Looks great. Not sure what the detailer used but it sure rinses off nice.

KVD

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JL Wrangler Rubicon 2D
  1. Wash
  2. Dry with microfiber
  3. Iron-X
  4. Wash again
  6. Polish ?
  7. Remove Polish ?
  8. Ceramic Coat - https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53409-Solutions-Coating-16/dp/B07XYPS3PS/ref=sr_1_5?crid=HJLD2ITQ8OEW&keywords=hybrid+ceramic+coat&qid=1701098953&sprefix=hybrid+ceramic+coat,aps,101&sr=8-5
  9. Wash again and dry
I also have a new 2D Rubicon and love it. Great vehicles.

On your question A:
1) I've washed and waxed mine a few times. I have used the Chemical Guys clay bar you're suggesting and it does work well.

2) I have not had good luck with ceramic coating myself - if you want to do ceramic I'd have a professional apply it. I find that the coatings either don't wipe off easily, or don't seem to offer the same beading protection that a product like Meguiar's Ultimate Wax offers.

On question B:
I think if you are claying and carefully washing like your outline suggests, I would hold off on polishing, and preserve as much of the factory clear coat as you can while you can. I haven't observed any paint swirls or other defects (outside a couple pinhole solvent bubbles that are factory paint issues) that would be remedied or require a polish.

I've had good success with 1, 2, 4, 5, and then applying Meg's Ultimate Wax and a coat of Carnauba Wax. I find Ultimate to last a good 3 months, and I actually enjoy waxing with that every time as it helps me see how the paint is holding up and notice any issues that would eventually require paint correction like polish or more aggressive action.

Hope that helps - happy to engage further. Enjoy.

Sponsored

mjg4xe

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
I also have a new 2D Rubicon and love it. Great vehicles.

On your question A:
1) I've washed and waxed mine a few times. I have used the Chemical Guys clay bar you're suggesting and it does work well.

2) I have not had good luck with ceramic coating myself - if you want to do ceramic I'd have a professional apply it. I find that the coatings either don't wipe off easily, or don't seem to offer the same beading protection that a product like Meguiar's Ultimate Wax offers.

On question B:
I think if you are claying and carefully washing like your outline suggests, I would hold off on polishing, and preserve as much of the factory clear coat as you can while you can. I haven't observed any paint swirls or other defects (outside a couple pinhole solvent bubbles that are factory paint issues) that would be remedied or require a polish.

I've had good success with 1, 2, 4, 5, and then applying Meg's Ultimate Wax and a coat of Carnauba Wax. I find Ultimate to last a good 3 months, and I actually enjoy waxing with that every time as it helps me see how the paint is holding up and notice any issues that would eventually require paint correction like polish or more aggressive action.

Hope that helps - happy to engage further. Enjoy.
You should try this ceramic spray - works great and easy to apply and wipe off. I also use their ceramic wash.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/cerami...74MjSctvBofj65RMik7LO1GGbQeq3rxBoC-twQAvD_BwE

Reactions: KVD

TrentYoung

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X 4Xe
  1. Wash
  2. Dry with microfiber
  3. Iron-X
  4. Wash again
  6. Polish ?
  7. Remove Polish ?
  9. Wash again and dry
Quite honestly, after detailing cars for 40 plus years, I would use a quality product like Adam's Polishes. My first investment would be a quality pressure washer with a foam cannon. Have to get the dirt off. Iron X is good... but get a synthetic clay bar. Easier and faster. Polish is to bring out gloss so make sure you use a high quality wax.... then polish afterwards. The Ceramic coat you want to use is junk. Do not buy on Amazon because you never know what you are getting. Lost of fakes out there. Go the Chemical Guys or mne me I prefer Adam's Polishes. The stuff you want to use will build up and will be hard to remove eventually requiring you to strip it. Use a high quality Ceramic Coating and take your time. Preparation is king.

Jeep Wrangler JL 1st detailing of my new 2024 Rubicon -- advice? IMG_4521.JPG

JesseT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe
Quite honestly, after detailing cars for 40 plus years, I would use a quality product like Adam's Polishes. My first investment would be a quality pressure washer with a foam cannon. Have to get the dirt off. Iron X is good... but get a synthetic clay bar. Easier and faster. Polish is to bring out gloss so make sure you use a high quality wax.... then polish afterwards. The Ceramic coat you want to use is junk. Do not buy on Amazon because you never know what you are getting. Lost of fakes out there. Go the Chemical Guys or mne me I prefer Adam's Polishes. The stuff you want to use will build up and will be hard to remove eventually requiring you to strip it. Use a high quality Ceramic Coating and take your time. Preparation is king.

Jeep Wrangler JL 1st detailing of my new 2024 Rubicon -- advice? IMG_4521.JPG
That really is a lovely setup you've got there.

Sponsored

84jeepjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUR 392, 84 CJ7, 2005 Z71 Burb
I would also wash AFTER the clay bar.

Kansas JL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon ( sold). 2022 392 XR Tuscadero
I second the Adams products. I have used their ceramic coating and a few other products as well. Also if you are doing the ceramic coat and going through all this effort I would not skip the polishing. You are basically locking in that surface look with the ceramic and what is underneath that coating you should try to make as nice as possible ( if you like stuff perfect or as close to perfect as you can make it). Some polishes have very minimal abrasives and will do very little harm to your clear coat, especially since it’s new, there is most likely a minimal amount of correction that is even needed. But a guarantee there is some correction needed!

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
lots of good info here. i’d recommend watching some youtube videos for techniques and comparisons. keep in mind, some youtubers are sponsored. many like the turtle wax ceramic spray you linked. i’ve used it and had positive results however there’s many good products out there. your plan looks pretty good. i’d definitely wash after clay as another has noted. won’t be long before you find a system that works well for you!

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Just take it through your local tunnel car wash.

Kidding!!!

Another vote for Adam's products though, I've been very happy with their graphene ceramic coat so far. Is the graphene a gimmick? Idonno, but it sounds scientific and fancy, and so far it's made subsequent washings an absolute breeze, so I'm a fan!