19 Electrified Jeeps, and SHE LOVES THEM

Balmung44

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited 4xe
I'll enjoy my 30mpg with a brick in the wind. The hate on EVs and associating it with an "agenda" is ridiculous. As if we can't find more technology to power a car. I own an ev. I work 7 miles from my house. I don't put gas until I do a road trip or go wheeling. It's a great option for people in a similar situation like me. I go months without putting gas until I do my weekend wheeling trip. Why hate on people for this? I once got out of the everglades with no gas luckily my car charged itself back and was able to get home on electric only and put gas at a cheaper rate. Sounds like a win for me.
Sponsored

sammyboy34

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
Same here, 6-7 miles roundtrip commute, free level II chargers at work all electric during the week commute to work and around town then gas on longer trips. I have been able to get 32-33 miles factoring in the regen braking. Maybe a loss of 2-3 miles during winter, I’m in Wisconsin.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Yep... exactly as I imagined this thread would turn out as opposed to the same thread topic started by @Andy@AAV....
A mud slingin' shit fest, which BTW was guaranteed by the tone set by the OP. ??
Enjoy your weekends! ?

OP
OP
PatriotX

PatriotX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe
Yep... exactly as I imagined this thread would turn out as opposed to the same thread topic started by @Andy@AAV....
A mud slingin' shit fest, which BTW was guaranteed by the tone set by the OP. ??
Enjoy your weekends! ?
Imagined?

Yours was the first unnecessary comment in the thread.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I have a few complaints about the 4xe...
First, it needs a little more all battery range. My commute is 50 miles round trip.
Second, I tend to keep a Jeep for 20+ years, those batteries would be expensive to replace.
Third, why are they so expensive, the dealership has a really nice looking one with lift and 37s for close to $87k after an 18k discount. Oh ya, it's got a lot AEV stuff on it.
Fourth and most importantly, my wife says no we can't trade our Wrangler for one.

All kidding aside, one would be perfect for my wife's use. She drives 5 miles or less a day. A charge would nearly last her all week or close enough.
But she won't trade her ecodiesel for one. She's not ready for an electrified rig yet.
I use my Gladiator for the higher tow capacity. We have an enclosed trailer that we camp with, and/or drag our side by side around in.

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Spoiler, many were E-torque.

This operator rents and wheels 4xe Wranglers for fun and business. She loves them with very few caveats.

Many here, including those who don’t own or drive 4xes, feel the duty to opine on how bad these vehicles are. Here is an opinion from someone who has more 4xe and Jeep hybrid experience than anyone on the forum.

Link to article: https://www.electrifiedmag.com/feat...RUEMmJ5RpBPYk4OIStVavZ-rCsme6fB38sxoitULSn1Po

Enjoy. At least until the usual suspects show up. :)
When you said this: "Here is an opinion from someone who has more 4xe and Jeep hybrid experience than anyone on the forum." I knew exactly who you were talking about.

I have known and wheeled with Nena going back to about 2003, I know her well and there are FEW people that know more about Jeeps and wheeling than she does.

She is an EXCELLENT wheeler and can run the big trails with me.

That said Jeep knows here very well also and I bet she gets a lot of support from Jeep.

She is good people and I like her a lot.

Here is some fabbing I did for her. Rocker guards and a removable from the bumper for here Rubicons that would protect the motor and at trade-in time remove it and bolt on to another Jeep.

Yes that is her Jee and that is her leg, she is a LOOKER!
Jeep Wrangler JL 19 Electrified Jeeps, and SHE LOVES THEM 03122009229
Jeep Wrangler JL 19 Electrified Jeeps, and SHE LOVES THEM 16122009295
Jeep Wrangler JL 19 Electrified Jeeps, and SHE LOVES THEM 28112009181 2

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Anybody that gloats about how "awesome" EVs are either has an agenda or is an idiot and probably both. Never underestimate the lengths some people will go to virtue signal either. This woman is a prime example.
Pot meet kettle.

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
When you said this: "Here is an opinion from someone who has more 4xe and Jeep hybrid experience than anyone on the forum." I knew exactly who you were talking about.

I have known and wheeled with Nena going back to about 2003, I know her well and there are FEW people that know more about Jeeps and wheeling than she does.

She is an EXCELLENT wheeler and can run the big trails with me.

That said Jeep knows here very well also and I bet she gets a lot of support from Jeep.

She is good people and I like her a lot.

Here is some fabbing I did for her. Rocker guards and a removable from the bumper for here Rubicons that would protect the motor and at trade-in time remove it and bolt on to another Jeep.

Yes that is her Jee and that is her leg, she is a LOOKER!
I agree with you re: her cred as a wheeler and business owner. Although I had some unpleasant business dealings with her about 10 years ago that would be better not discussed here, I can attest to her knowledge base re: current Jeeps and wheeling. You'd be hard pressed to find someone better qualified to discuss the 4xE in actual use as a trail Jeep. And, give her some credit for finding a way to live the Jeeper's dream. Contrary to what was suggested above, she's not a bleeding heart enviro nut with an agenda, she's just giving you her expert opinion, pro & con.

IIRC, she turns her fleet vehicles at 2 years or 20k miles, so overall the fleet stays up to date and it gets used daily on Sedona's trails. They aren't all that difficult, but the customers aren't generally experienced Jeepers either so they get some "novice abuse." They also get used in a way Jeep corporate most likely doesn't see in all of their testing. If there's a weak link it'll pop out on the rental fleets before the average claims tracking will see it.

As for the 4xE and electrics in general, I'm in the "wine before it's time" camp where they are concerned. Until range & recharge time are i mproved they are going to stay on the fringes.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
As for the 4xE and electrics in general, I'm in the "wine before it's time" camp where they are concerned. Until range & recharge time are i mproved they are going to stay on the fringes.
The 4xe is a PHEV, the recharge time is one of the best for a PHEV, and it's range is more than adequate for a Wrangler known for horrendous mpg.

A PHEV is meant for short local trips, and gas for the infrequent longer trip, the ⚡ is also for power performance.

The 4xe is not meant to be a medium to long range BEV, where range and fast charging is critical, only one or 2 PHEVs offer level 3 fast charging, because it really has no value in the PHEV space, if you are blowing through a PHEV range that requires fast charging, then it's a sure sign a PHEV is not for you.

People seriously need to understand what a PHEV is before giving their cockeyed expert opinions.

Every manufacturer is building PHEVs of varying levels, some for longer commuting range, and some for insane performance, even the hypercars have embraced this "wine before it's time" technology, because it just works.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
The 4xe is a PHEV, the recharge time is one of the best for a PHEV, and it's range is more than adequate for a Wrangler known for horrendous mpg.

A PHEV is meant for short local trips, and gas for the infrequent longer trip, the ⚡ is also for power performance.

The 4xe is not meant to be a medium to long range BEV, where range and fast charging is critical, only one or 2 PHEVs offer level 3 fast charging, because it really has no value in the PHEV space, if you are blowing through a PHEV range that requires fast charging, then it's a sure sign a PHEV is not for you.

People seriously need to understand what a PHEV is before giving their cockeyed expert opinions.

Every manufacturer is building PHEVs of varying levels, some for longer commuting range, and some for insane performance, even the hypercars have embraced this "wine before it's time" technology, because it just works.
I think that's where a lot of the disdain for the 4xe comes from. The fact that it really isn't an ideal vehicle for everyone. There are some that are solidly against electric, but even amongst those who would actually consider it there are some drawbacks vs a standard wrangler for many people.

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I agree with you re: her cred as a wheeler and business owner. Although I had some unpleasant business dealings with her about 10 years ago that would be better not discussed here, I can attest to her knowledge base re: current Jeeps and wheeling. You'd be hard pressed to find someone better qualified to discuss the 4xE in actual use as a trail Jeep. And, give her some credit for finding a way to live the Jeeper's dream. Contrary to what was suggested above, she's not a bleeding heart enviro nut with an agenda, she's just giving you her expert opinion, pro & con.

IIRC, she turns her fleet vehicles at 2 years or 20k miles, so overall the fleet stays up to date and it gets used daily on Sedona's trails. They aren't all that difficult, but the customers aren't generally experienced Jeepers either so they get some "novice abuse." They also get used in a way Jeep corporate most likely doesn't see in all of their testing. If there's a weak link it'll pop out on the rental fleets before the average claims tracking will see it.

LOL you right, she is NOT Bleeding heart, she is a tough cookie.

I don't think in the long run EVs are going to hack it. Facts are facts and EVs are NOT clean cars, in fact far far from it. More emissions from building and creating a EV that Gas/Diesel car made.

SargeDiesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)

Yes, I understand all that whefe a highway centered vehicle is concerned. But I don't understand your statement that the 4xE's "range is more than adequate for a Jeep known for poor fuel mileage." The two don't seem to equate in a utility vehicle running long, distant trails crawling along in 4 lo.

On a trail Jeep that may find itself many miles from any available charging source, for the tech to make any sense long range and fast charging are critical. When actually used as a 4x4, not a mall crawler, the driver will find themselves in many remote areas, in some cases where even access to gasoline or diesel is scarce. At that point the dead or barely charged, and constantly recharging, battery can represent dead weight and drag sucking away fuel mileage. It's simple physics at play.
Instant 100% torque on the rocks from battery power is potentially the battery/electric's strongest suit in a Jeep (but read Nena;'s comment about throttle response). It's simply that at THIS POINT IN TIME the negatorys don't overcome the positives ...... yet. They will some day.

"Wine before its time" stands as called. EV sales are stagnating because the reality of the current tech doesn't match up with the hype. PHEV on highway makes sense, on the trails I'll stay a skeptic.

SargeDiesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
still doesn’t excuse this behavior either way. No one from the 4xe sub group is actively trying to talk smack about 392’s or V6’s wranglers, it’s a one way streak on this forum. There’s a reason no one will talk like this face to face because they know they’re just being an ass to be an ass behind a screen and keyboard.
I know where you are coming from... just a little dramatic for me.

I would tell anyone, face to face or not... I do not like EV's in general. Personal choice... yes, I'm sure I could find something that I thought was cool or bennificial that is unique to the EV... but on the other side, I don't go around bashing them just to be an ass either. Ask me about EV's 8-10 years from now when they aren't being force-fed and our infrastructure has caught up.

* my opinions are based upon my needs and not necessarily the vehicle.

OP
OP
PatriotX

PatriotX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, it’s appreciated here.

I’ve found the extra torque to be enjoyable off-road, and have done many unpaved miles with mine, most burdened with an aluminum-shelled RTT.

Range anxiety is nil, as a couple of Rotopax provide a nice buffer when 20 miles from pavement in a rocky gully.

It‘s far from perfect, but after beating the snot out of mine in every conceivable situation for the last 2 years has validated the concept solidly for me as an off-roader

I would prefer another 3-5 gallons of gas capacity over a 20-mile battery range increase, at least until the Range Extender system is implemented similar to the Ram.
Sponsored