18" wheels good or bad idea?

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
I searched the forums but didn't see a detailed answer for this, so thought I'd start a thread.

I am about to order a 2021 JLU. I am considering the Sport S and the 80th Anniversary packages. I am leaning towards the 80th Anniversary (with 2.0L Turbo) as I like the look better with the wheels it comes with. But it comes with 18" wheels vs 17" on the Sport S.

I will be using the JLU on the road with occasional trailering of a motorcycle or two. I may do some beach riding or dirt roads on a rare occasion but don't plan any serious off-roading.

What (if any) are the advantages/disadvantages of going with the 18" wheel vs 17" wheel. And yes for sure I could always switch wheels later, but I'm trying to get as close to the best set up possible for me with what I get in this order.
Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
just my 2 cents; my Sahara came with 18s and when it comes to tires selections there aren't as many options with the 18s as there are for 17s. I bought Rubi take-offs (17") so down the road I'll have more options.

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
just my 2 cents; my Sahara came with 18s and when it comes to tires selections there aren't as many options with the 18s as there are for 17s. I bought Rubi take-offs (17") so down the road I'll have more options.
Thanks!

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my JLUS on 18’s. 295/70 r18 RG on 18x9 with 0 offset. (34x11.50 basically) I like the wheel to tire ratio. 2/1.5” lift goes on next week. I don’t have to lift but at this tire size at least a 1/.5” lift is needed for any flex room. Ride is great, don’t notice any noise, tires aren’t too fat so I keep her straight with little splash from poking out, and after my reprogram I average around 19-20 mpg 50/50 driving. There are definitely more 17” tire offerings that allow for a little more sidewall so it’s really in my opinion up to your wheel choice and usage. I wheel like 3 weeks out of the year at our cabin in Lake City Colorado and wheel around 5-6 weekends a year in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas which includes off-road 4x4 trails, camping, biking, hiking, etc.

Jeep Wrangler JL 18" wheels good or bad idea? 519DCDC1-94EF-43BA-8EC4-CD21E2C31434

View attachment 549328

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is my JLUS on 18’s. 295/70 r18 RG on 18x9 with 0 offset. (34x11.50 basically) I like the wheel to tire ratio. 2/1.5” lift goes on next week. I don’t have to lift but at this tire size at least a 1/.5” lift is needed for any flex room. Ride is great, don’t notice any noise, tires aren’t too fat so I keep her straight with little splash from poking out, and after my reprogram I average around 19-20 mpg 50/50 driving. There are definitely more 17” tire offerings that allow for a little more sidewall so it’s really in my opinion up to your wheel choice and usage. I wheel like 3 weeks out of the year at our cabin in Lake City Colorado and wheel around 5-6 weekends a year in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas which includes off-road 4x4 trails, camping, biking, hiking, etc.

View attachment 397129

Jeep Wrangler JL 18" wheels good or bad idea? 519DCDC1-94EF-43BA-8EC4-CD21E2C31434
Thanks for the info! Beautiful Jeep! Which color is that?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
IMO 18s are still a decent choice, like mentioned tire selection isn't as good and tend to be more expensive for the same tire. You still get decent sidewall if you plan to run something similar to @Silverblkrilla is running (like a 34" or taller tire).

If you were starting fresh I'd run a 17, but if the vehicle you really want runs 18s IMO you"ll still be happy :)

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMO 18s are still a decent choice, like mentioned tire selection isn't as good and tend to be more expensive for the same tire. You still get decent sidewall if you plan to run something similar to @Silverblkrilla is running (like a 34" or taller tire).

If you were starting fresh I'd run a 17, but if the vehicle you really want runs 18s IMO you"ll still be happy :)
Thank you!

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Feedback so far is spot on. I switched to 18" Sahara wheels on my JK Rubicon so I could run 275/70R18 tires (33.5x11.5) which was the biggest tire I figured would fit without a lift. Love them in a Cooper S/T Maxx flavor.

If you stay with OEM sizes you're fine, but if you want something larger and more aggressive you'll find less selection, more expense, and a rougher ride because the market is for load range E truck tires.

There are a couple of gems if you are looking for tall skinny like the 275/70 I mention or , like the Nitto's 37x11.5R18 Ridge Grappler "pizza cutter."

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
and a rougher ride because the market is for load range E truck tires.
Most of my vehicles over the years have rode firm, I don't mind E-load rated tires and they do provide extra protection from road hazards. If the tire I wanted came in a C or E I'd probably choose the C for more compliance when airing down, lighter weight and a softer ride. But if the tire I wanted only came in an E I wouldn't have a problem running them, my current 295/70/17 Pats are E load rated and ride just fine IMO.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I searched the forums but didn't see a detailed answer for this, so thought I'd start a thread.

I am about to order a 2021 JLU. I am considering the Sport S and the 80th Anniversary packages. I am leaning towards the 80th Anniversary (with 2.0L Turbo) as I like the look better with the wheels it comes with. But it comes with 18" wheels vs 17" on the Sport S.

I will be using the JLU on the road with occasional trailering of a motorcycle or two. I may do some beach riding or dirt roads on a rare occasion but don't plan any serious off-roading.

What (if any) are the advantages/disadvantages of going with the 18" wheel vs 17" wheel. And yes for sure I could always switch wheels later, but I'm trying to get as close to the best set up possible for me with what I get in this order.
I researched quite a bit on getting 17's on my JLUS, but in the end I couldn't justify the cost, I just bit the bullet and upgraded my stock wrangler tires for BFG 275/70/18 (33's). I love them and I got them on a buy 3 get one free deal. So I left my spare Wrangler on the spare, never to be used again......Keeper of the "Owl". Just for looks. Here's one of the tire and bird.
Jeep Wrangler JL 18" wheels good or bad idea? Jeep Owl
Jeep Wrangler JL 18" wheels good or bad idea? Jeep11

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
I had 17" HT tires on my sport from the factory. I got a deal on a set of AT 18" from a Sahara to deal with snow. The ride is a bit stiffer but tracks way better on the highway. A bit more stiff but no issue whatesoever with mild off road. The 18s also look a lot nicer which I didn't expect. I wouldn't sweat it either way as long as you get AT tires.
Sponsored