Sponsored

18" wheels and 35's, stock spare carrier ok?

Rubicon20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I'm looking at some 18"s (Fuel Hardline 621's) and Nitto 35's, would this combo fit on the stock spare tire carrier? I've heard a 17" and 35 tire would, but would this extra inch derail that thought?
I really don't want to have to upgrade the carrier and the extra expense, at least not yet but perhaps down the road.
2020 Rubicon
Sponsored

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think the extra inch of wheel changes the overall OD on the package. Pretty sure your concern is just whether a 35 tire will fit. Putting an 18 wheel doesn't make it a 36" tire package you know what I mean?

I have 17 fuel wheels with 285/75r17 Grapplers and it fits fine. Those are 34-ish inch wheels. I am quite certain there is enough room for at least another inch and a half. When I get home I'll take a close photo for you.

Also, what rear bumper do you have. Is your concern clearance or weight/stress or both?

You'll have definitive replies by then though.

OP
OP
Rubicon20

Rubicon20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Ok thanks. I guess I was assuming that it would be 36” but I see what you’re saying.
A 35” tire is still 35” regardless of wheel size.
I’m concerned with stress too on the carrier but that’s something I plan to upgrade later.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
Ok thanks. I guess I was assuming that it would be 36” but I see what you’re saying.
A 35” tire is still 35” regardless of wheel size.
I’m concerned with stress too on the carrier but that’s something I plan to upgrade later.
I run 315 70 17 Nitto ridge grapplers’s on 17x8.5 -6 icon rebound’s and they come in right at 100lb the stock carrier is rated at 85lb I believe don’t quote me on that though.
18x9 rim’s with 35x12.5x17 Nitto’s will come in at around 120lb also what offset are you going with +1 or -12 you will have to extend your spare bumpstops with -12 +1 Maybe not.
I would recommend going with 315s and 17x8.5 for the weight savings and the hub bore on JL’s is 71.5 so find a wheel that has that.
PS sorry been listening to too much Led Zeppelin just gotta ramble on:giggle:
Sponsored