Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I am in
The STT Pro is a great tire off road. I ran that on my wife truck and currently running them on my JL. On road they do reasonably well in most conditions but, however don’t expect miracles in rain or snow.

When the wife went to 37’s, we changed things up and switched to the Nitto Ridge Grappler. So far no real complaints. They seem to grip pretty well in the wet, well at least when we had to make an emergency stop in the wet. Haven’t had them off road yet (missed our chance in Colorado last month), though those who have speak highly of them. The best thing I noticed with the tires is I no longer hear my wife rolling down the street from a block away like I did when she had STT Pro’s on her truck. I only hear her when she pulls into the lot and I hear the clunk of the transmission. ;)
Southern California so rain and snow are not a big issue for me.. so you like the ridge grappler better than the stt pro then?
Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I am in Southern California so rain and snow are not a big issue for me.. so you like the ridge grappler better than the stt pro then?
As an all around tire that sees more pavement time than off pavement time, yeah. Besides you’ll come to appreciate the lack of tire noise in the Ridge Grappler.

Sina’s Jeep

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93’ Wrangler & 2019 Rubicon JLU
The biggest things you’re going to come across in the 17” versus 18” are going to be the available rim and tire sizes as well as price.

For tires, the sweet spot seems to be either 17” or 20” (Jeep crowd, full size truck crowd). Tires for 18” rim size, while there are some, there is no where near the selection there is for either 17’s or 20’s. While this may not initially seem problematic, the tire size you want may not be available in the load range you need.

For rims, there are a dearth of manufactures making rims in all manner of sizes to tickle your fancy. The key is finding the rim you like in the size you want with the correct offset/backspacing for your needs. The big question to ask is whether the rim you want is available with the correct offset/backspacing. Too little and you’re scrubbing the frame, to much and you’re putting too much strain on the hub bearings or axle flanges leading to premature failure.

Of course any of this doesn’t even take into account what others mentioned if you plan to wheel the Jeep.
May I ask what you would advise someone like me who wants to upgrade my 2019 JLU Rubicon to 35 inch BFG KO tires as to what 17 inch wheels will work so that the wheels and tires do not extend Beyond the fender flairs? Do I need to note anything about offset numbers and back spacing as I do not know anything about offset and back Spacing. FYI - I am not adding a lift. Thank you For helping this newby.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

May I ask what you would advise someone like me who wants to upgrade my 2019 JLU Rubicon to 35 inch BFG KO tires as to what 17 inch wheels will work so that the wheels and tires do not extend Beyond the fender flairs? Do I need to note anything about offset numbers and back spacing as I do not know anything about offset and back Spacing. FYI - I am not adding a lift. Thank you For helping this newby.
JLR here. I just moved from 285s to 315s KO2. Basically 33in to 35in. I was told that I might have a little rubbing with my stock Rubi wheels (44mm offset). Was recommended to get wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels. I went aftermarket wheels with 0mm offset.

I do now have about 1.5in ‘poke’ sticking out beyond the fender flares. Sounds like that isn’t desirable to you. Maybe try running with your 35s on stock wheels and if you experience some rubbing then look for a wheel with a little less offset or spacer. You can also add fender flare extensions found on XR models.

Sina’s Jeep

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93’ Wrangler & 2019 Rubicon JLU
JLR here. I just moved from 285s to 315s KO2. Basically 33in to 35in. I was told that I might have a little rubbing with my stock Rubi wheels (44mm offset). Was recommended to get wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels. I went aftermarket wheels with 0mm offset.

I do now have about 1.5in ‘poke’ sticking out beyond the fender flares. Sounds like that isn’t desirable to you. Maybe try running with your 35s on stock wheels and if you experience some rubbing then look for a wheel with a little less offset or spacer. You can also add fender flare extensions found on XR models.
Thank you for the feedback. I do not want to stick with the stock wheels. I have been wanting to move towards all black wheels. Thanks again.
Sponsored