'18 JL Sport and Mopar LED upgrade

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Has anyone installed the Mopar LED lights on their '18 JLU Sport? I was wondering, if I install these on mine if the halo running lights would work.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Not available from mopar yet.

Iwant2poop

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sport, 2002 Grand Cherokee (Sold)
I'm not entirely sure how it's set up on the JL, but if I'm not mistaken a lot of the DRL functions need a module and that module needs to be turned activated by the dealership (probably for some $$$). Maybe it's different now, don't know. But just something to keep in mind and maybe ask the dealership to make sure before you spend money on it when they do become available.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I was wondering this myself since the Sport and Sport S do not include DRL (US models).

There was a recent thread regarding the LEDs on a Rubicon. The owner could not turn off the halo rings. They were always on even after turning off the DRL setting in UConnect. He was able to turn off the fender DRL with UConnect but the halos were always on.

ericvJL

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Obviously not installed the main LED headlights yet as they are still on order. Supposed to be in May 11th. But I have installed the LED turn signals and the LED tail lights...and they work perfectly. Tail lights are a breeze to install...turn signals are a bit of a bitch.

Sponsored

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Does the DRL work with the LED turn signals? Do you have a write up for the install?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Obviously not installed the main LED headlights yet as they are still on order. Supposed to be in May 11th. But I have installed the LED turn signals and the LED tail lights...and they work perfectly. Tail lights are a breeze to install...turn signals are a bit of a bitch.
You installed the factory LED fender lights and LED tail lights or aftermarket?

Where did you find the factory LEDs?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
https://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-wrangler-headlights-p-8421.html

They're on backorder. My feeling is that you will either need to get a dealer to play ball and unlock DRL or there's a chance the Tazer would work to change the settings. https://zautomotive.com/product/tazer-jl/
I’m not certain the halos are wired into the DRL system. As I mentioned, there is a thread where the owner turned off the DRL setting in UConnect but the halos were still on while the fender DRLs were off.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/turn-off-halos-when-parked.5424/#post-120916

It will be interesting to see if the Mopar LED halos work with the Sport. Maybe they will only work when the main bulbs are on.

I guess it will depend on how the Sport can be programmed for DRL. It may just supply low voltage to the headlights. My Honda DRL uses low voltage to the high beam bulbs.

Last edited:

ericvJL

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the DRL work with the LED turn signals? Do you have a write up for the install?
the DRL works...i.e. the turn signal unit LED white lamps are on when your light switch is turned to "auto"...and they switch back when turn signal is on. However, I found out that when driving down the road, Im getting an error saying turn signal not working...i think ill need to put resistors in. give me a week and ill let you know how this turns out...but everything else seems to be working fine.

OP
OP
abecker

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
the DRL works...i.e. the turn signal unit LED white lamps are on when your light switch is turned to "auto"...and they switch back when turn signal is on. However, I found out that when driving down the road, Im getting an error saying turn signal not working...i think ill need to put resistors in. give me a week and ill let you know how this turns out...but everything else seems to be working fine.
Did you have to do anything for the DRL to work? Also, I see you have a Sahara, and wonder if it is any different on the sport. Where did you find the tail lights?

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Did you have to do anything for the DRL to work? Also, I see you have a Sahara, and wonder if it is any different on the sport. Where did you find the tail lights?
The Sport and Sport S US models do not include DRL. They have to be programmed. Kind of crazy DRL is not a standard safety feature. Wonder if that has any correlation to why the LED package is not optional for the Sport. Still don’t understand why LED is not offered like it is for the JK Sport unless it’s simply a supply problem for now and will be offered for 2019.

Here’s what the owner’s manual says...

Daytime Running Lights — If Equipped
The headlights come on at a low intensity level when shifted into any position other than PARK (auto transmission) or when the vehicle begins to move (manual trans- mission).
NOTE: The Daytime Running Light, on the same side of the vehicle as the active turn signal, will turn off automati- cally when a turn signal is in operation and turn on again when the turn signal is not operating.

ericvJL

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DRL works on sahara as standard. not sure about the sport? Just order tail lifgts from your jeep dealer. they are available now...but take a few weeks to come in.

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Did you install diode dynamics’ switchbacks? That’s what it sounds like. You need a resistor. The non-led lights require more power than LEDs. The computer is reading the lower power consumption as a bad bulb. Thus the bulb out warning and hyper flashing of the turn signal indicator on the dash, even though from the outside the lights are flashing normal speed. Resistors maintain the power level for the computer, making the computer think all is well.

ericvJL

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As mentioned above, this is all OEM equipment, OEM lighting (tail lights, turn signals, etc.... but my sahara was OEM with standard lighting so the computer thinks it is still standard...so resisters will probably do the trick.

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I just saw that the LED headlights would start shipping in June.

As for the halo ring in the headlights, could you just wire this directly to the battery, and the rest of the headlight as normal? That way the halo always comes on when the Jeep is on without needing to reprogram anything (assuming the Sport can even be programmed for DRLs)
Sponsored