'18 JL Sport and Mopar LED upgrade

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I decided to have another look at things to confirm wiring. I pulled the headlights again and confirmed the following:

1) The headlight wiring harness on the Sport trims only have 3 wires (out of a possible 6). There are plugs/blanks in the empty spaces. I played around with the connector a bit but I don't know enough about it to figure out how to add a 4rth wire on my own. I also tried to see how a replacement harness might connect to the jeep - such as the one listed on the Mopar LED headlight package. I can't see how a replacement harness would work. Here is a pick of the connector:

sport headlight connector.jpg

2) I confirmed that the halogen headlights expect a 3 wire harness (although it wouldn't be a problem if you supplied 4 (like a Sahara or Rubicon probably does)) and the LED headlights expect a 4 wire harness. Here are picks of the wiring port for each headlight. Halogen first then LED:

halogen headlight port.jpg

led headlight port.jpg

While I was at it I decided to clean up under the hood a bit...

clean engine.jpg

So thats it for today. At this point I am waiting to see what the wiring harness looks like in the LED headlight package. At the same time I am going to talk to some folks about adding a 4rth wire to the existing connector. I figure I could patch into the parking lights and turn on both the LED switchback parking lights and the halos at the same time using the parking lights as my DRL.

If anyone has any new information let me know.

Cheers!
Sponsored

seaham69

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Ocean Blue Wrangler Sport
Occupation
USMC (Retired)
I decided to have another look at things to confirm wiring. I pulled the headlights again and confirmed the following:

1) The headlight wiring harness on the Sport trims only have 3 wires (out of a possible 6). There are plugs/blanks in the empty spaces. I played around with the connector a bit but I don't know enough about it to figure out how to add a 4rth wire on my own. I also tried to see how a replacement harness might connect to the jeep - such as the one listed on the Mopar LED headlight package. I can't see how a replacement harness would work. Here is a pick of the connector:

sport headlight connector.jpg

2) I confirmed that the halogen headlights expect a 3 wire harness (although it wouldn't be a problem if you supplied 4 (like a Sahara or Rubicon probably does)) and the LED headlights expect a 4 wire harness. Here are picks of the wiring port for each headlight. Halogen first then LED:

halogen headlight port.jpg

led headlight port.jpg

While I was at it I decided to clean up under the hood a bit...

clean engine.jpg

So thats it for today. At this point I am waiting to see what the wiring harness looks like in the LED headlight package. At the same time I am going to talk to some folks about adding a 4rth wire to the existing connector. I figure I could patch into the parking lights and turn on both the LED switchback parking lights and the halos at the same time using the parking lights as my DRL.

If anyone has any new information let me know.

Cheers!
Thanks so much for taking the time to explore this! Very informative!

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
@pichenet
Did you trace back the headlight harness to where it hooks to the main wiring harness?
I’d be curious to see if there aren’t 4 wires on the main harness at that connection. That would make sense if the Mopar LED headlight kit comes with both headlights and wiring harness. That maybe an easier way to get that fourth wire to your LEDs.

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
@pichenet
Did you trace back the headlight harness to where it hooks to the main wiring harness?
I’d be curious to see if there aren’t 4 wires on the main harness at that connection. That would make sense if the Mopar LED headlight kit comes with both headlights and wiring harness. That maybe an easier way to get that fourth wire to your LEDs.
I was thinking the same thing but I was not able to confirm. The pigtail or harness for the headlights gets bundled with other wiring and together they are wrapped so I was not able to trace it very far.

Edit: I believe the outside port on the headlight enclosure is a small wiring harness itself to the headlight. It is possible that the harness that comes with the kit is this small enclosure harness (as opposed to the one that connects to the jeep) allowing for halos when the headlights are on but not by themselves. Just a theory so very interested in seeing what comes in the kit.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mickgolf00

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Thanks! They are hard to find
I appreciate the PN#'s. Where did you end up finding these? And...just to confirm...there are the OEM LED Tail lights. I've got a Sahara with the OEM stock assemblies and want to make sure they are correct. Can't seem to find them.

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
I appreciate the PN#'s. Where did you end up finding these? And...just to confirm...there are the OEM LED Tail lights. I've got a Sahara with the OEM stock assemblies and want to make sure they are correct. Can't seem to find them.
Yes those are the part numbers for the OEM LED tail lights without BSM. I found mine on eBay. They were the previous part number so instead of ending in “AF”, the ones I purchased end in “AE”. The part numbers were the same otherwise. That how Mopar designates a design change on the same part. (Part number AA, AB, AC etc). I can’t tell any difference between either part so the design change maybe internal. They are a plug and play

Mickgolf00

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Yes those are the part numbers for the OEM LED tail lights without BSM. I found mine on eBay. They were the previous part number so instead of ending in “AF”, the ones I purchased end in “AE”. The part numbers were the same otherwise. That how Mopar designates a design change on the same part. (Part number AA, AB, AC etc). I can’t tell any difference between either part so the design change maybe internal. They are a plug and play
That makes perfect sense. I appreciated the explanation. I went out and tried different combinations of the PN's and still having issues. I guess it's going to come down to research and patients awaiting more parts to hit the pipeline. Thanks!

BTW. Any issues with operation of the lights after upgrading (fast blink, sequence etc..)?

I found some in FL ($275ea). The guy was talking me out of them because he couldn't guarantee they would work as advertised and he wouldn't accept a return.

Last edited:

Dkntrol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Don’t have the headlights but the DRL donwork just fine. Installed today although I had to make minor adjustments like cut my fender for DRL to fit. They are wider than the stock sport ones.

2510E3BA-92B9-492C-9F6F-6CF8366BEE60.jpeg

B611E658-0C99-4CD7-A3B8-004C22B0B516.jpeg

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Don’t have the headlights but the DRL donwork just fine. Installed today although I had to make minor adjustments like cut my fender for DRL to fit. They are wider than the stock sport ones.

2510E3BA-92B9-492C-9F6F-6CF8366BEE60.jpeg

B611E658-0C99-4CD7-A3B8-004C22B0B516.jpeg
How did you manage to get those? From mopar already? Sorry if you already answered this. I scrolled through but didn’t see anything

Sponsored

Dkntrol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
How did you manage to get those? From mopar already? Sorry if you already answered this. I scrolled through but didn’t see anything
They are take offs I got from another forum member. He kept his fender and didn’t need the lights which I got from him.

Jeepneck

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepnecks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
Occupation
Real Estate Professional
Vehicle Showcase

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
I got some take off leds already for $450 they work fine apart from the halos. I called Mopar to see if they sold the harness from that kit separately and they said they don’t so I’m just going to try and add a connection to the factory one I guess.
Sponsored