'18 JL Sport and Mopar LED upgrade

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
My dealer was clueless about the fender lights. I am not doing them yet. Definitely doing headlights. Still on the fence on fog lights. Not doing tail lights.
Hey ThirtyOne,

Has your dealer said anything about wiring? After installing the LED headlights on my Sport S I am pretty sure they are missing a wire/feed for the halos.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hey ThirtyOne,

Has your dealer said anything about wiring? After installing the LED headlights on my Sport S I am pretty sure they are missing a wire/feed for the halos.
Did you get take-offs or the Mopar kit? The kit says it has a wiring harness for the halogens.

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Take offs. I'm going to do some reading on this harness. When you get yours let me know where the new harness connects to the Jeep. Also let me know if there is a part number on there harness that comes with.

Sponsored

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Take offs. I'm going to do some reading on this harness. When you get yours let me know where the new harness connects to the Jeep. Also let me know if there is a part number on there harness that comes with.
How did you manage to get take-offs already? Don’t see any aftermarket options the person you got them off could have upgraded to. Not saying you are lying so don’t take it that way at all. I’m just very interested to know if there are aftermarket options now. Lol.

dwc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport-S
Any news/updates?
Unfortunately NO - and very frustrated about it.... just yesterday I took my JLU in to the dealer for the recall fix on the cruise control. I asked if they were going to use their witech device to do that and they said YES. So I printed out the instructions from this Forum that someone posted about putting in the DTR "Code" to turn them on and asked if they could try it - they said sure and even said it would be no charge if they were successful. Then what happened according to the mechanic was that the process involved connecting to the Chrysler main frame computer and that they got a message back saying it was not an option on this vehicle and blocked the download/transfer of the enabling code to my Jeep's computer. Totally sucks.

Something else I have learned about this is that the JL's such as ours without the LED lights have a single halogen socket with a orange dual filament bulb. The LED version has 2 LED light bulbs - one white and one yellow.... so I tried the switchback LED bulb and it worked, to give the white lens a white color when the parking lights or headlights are on so as to look like you have DTR's but ended up taking it out because the load resistors you have to use to stop the hyper blink get so damn hot I was afraid it would actually melt through the fender. Don't think it's safe etc.

UPDATE: I recently bought a JL Tazer programming unit and one of the numerous things it can do is turn on your Daytime Running Lights in a JLU using the standard non-LED turn signals. Works great!

Last edited:

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Hey @dwc ,

Thanks for the update. Can you provide a link to the post that had the code? When you refer to a code to "turn them on" are you referring to DRLs/Halos? Did you upgrade your wiring harness prior to attempting this? Only asking because the wiring harness for the headlights on the Sport trims has 3 wires and I think the DRLs/Halos require a 4rth wire. So it would kinda make sense that it wouldn't let you enter that code as it would be ineffective without the 4rth wire.

Regarding the resisters on the switchbacks. One thing to note is that the turning signals cause them to heat up. I don't think they should be heating up without the turn signal on and while hot to the touch I am not sure if they would melt plastic. The worst case scenario I can imagine is needing to leave your Hazards on for a long time. I have had mine on for about a week or so. I plan to check on them soon.

I am thinking about testing a feed from the parking lights to the 4rth pin on the OEM LED headlights to see if it turns on the Halos. While doing that I will check on the resisters and more importantly the plastic around them.

As far as fenders go - I like that idea too. I imagine some wiring would have to be done to support the multiple front facing bulbs in the fender.

On a side note I definitely have an issue with the high beams on the OEM LED headlights. When I turn them on the low beams cut out. Its like I get both for a second as I click on the high beams but the low beams immediately cut out after.

If anyone else out there has a Sport trim and is working with the OEM LED headlights or fender lights please let us know what you find out.

Lobstah_JLUR

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
Following- have JLUR with halogens, interested in possibly putting in the OEM LEDs but wonder if I have this mysterious 4th wire... and whether I will need to reflash my system

the doctor

First Name
Ahitor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 door
Who has the part numbers for the led tail light, I can’t find it

Sponsored

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
Thanks! They are hard to find
Yes they are. I got real lucky!! They are amazingly bright!! Now if I could just find some LED headlights and make them work correctly. The tail lights are a straight plug and play. It was a 10 minute install.

Lobstah_JLUR

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
anyone have the part numbers for the front fender lights?

seaham69

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Ocean Blue Wrangler Sport
Occupation
USMC (Retired)
So I just installed the OEM LED headlights today during my lunch break. Took 40 mins all in including removing the grille. Super simple and super awesome BUT no Halos and not sure if high beams are functioning properly.

The halos I sorta understand as it may need programming but the high beams are strange. They work great for distance but I seem to not have any lower portion if that makes sense. And I'm not just talking about the fogs going off.

Very interested in hearing from anyone else who has done this on a sport. I'd also love to see working LEDs from the front and on a wall with reg/high beams.
Hey, pichenet! Do you know the part numbers? I'm sure they're here someplace, but I'm too lazy to look... Lol!
Sponsored