18 jeep jlu radiator leaking at 33k

Alexxkaztcjl

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler jlu
Checked my coolant resevoir tank and no coolant topped off and smelt colant smell after driving notice pink coolant drops coming from front of vehicle and noticed radiator on driver side is covered in pink pink coolant crust. Anybody else have issues with radiators leaking ?

BB9872A9-870A-4879-BFE1-153238C25B9F.jpeg

CF9B3FD7-93E2-4AD8-A1BE-180A3EE47512.jpeg

6D715F29-EDAD-4188-BE14-26DC62A30887.jpeg
Sponsored

jjandascog

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
In that last pic looks like you have some damaged fins along with a damaged clamp that holds the header on. Might have jammed to much mud up there while playing offroad.

OP
OP
Alexxkaztcjl

Alexxkaztcjl

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler jlu
In that last pic looks like you have some damaged fins along with a damaged clamp that holds the header on. Might have jammed to much mud up there while playing offroad.
The whole left side all the way to top of radiator is crusted with pink coolant passenger side theirs no leaks

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
They look like weak units but most rads are built this way this days . I remember I had to change a radiator once on a honda and I think it had about 20k or so in miles. It leaked even though i still looked relatively new. I don't have too much faith in the one I have in my 2020 either.

Arnusoriano

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Scion TC, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, Horse
Same thing at 58k. @Alexxkaztcjl did u fix this? I went to the dealer and I no longer under warranty (2018 jlu as well 58k miles) and they estimated the fix might cost around $900.
Couple of months ago I noticed the coolant tank was empty even when the engine was running after 40mins so I top off. This was during the cold days. And now the weather is getting higher my theory is that coolant expanded and might have caused pressure on the radiator and leaked??? That's my theory but I'm not an expert on this. .
Jeep Wrangler JL 18 jeep jlu radiator leaking at 33k 20210529_174351

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Same thing at 58k. @Alexxkaztcjl did u fix this? I went to the dealer and I no longer under warranty (2018 jlu as well 58k miles) and they estimated the fix might cost around $900.
Couple of months ago I noticed the coolant tank was empty even when the engine was running after 40mins so I top off. This was during the cold days. And now the weather is getting higher my theory is that coolant expanded and might have caused pressure on the radiator and leaked??? That's my theory but I'm not an expert on this. .
20210529_174351.jpg
You’re right, you are not an expert on this...the radiator leak came first. The coolant systemwill relieve pressure automatically through the cap if needed, and unless you are overheating, even that won’t happen during normal operation.

the only fix is a new radiator.

correfe

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP JL SAHARA UNLIMITED
You’re right, you are not an expert on this...the radiator leak came first. The coolant systemwill relieve pressure automatically through the cap if needed, and unless you are overheating, even that won’t happen during normal operation.

the only fix is a new radiator.

I just replaced my radiator this weekend with only 54K miles on it.
It took 2.5 hrs in total with another person, with a lot of talking in between.
radiator needs a bit of wiggling to come out and also to be put in place.

The only things that get disconnected for the removal are the intake air system, fan and hoses to radiator. Nothing else gets removed .

A/C parts and transmission cooler all stay in place loosely. only two socket sizes required - 8mm and 10mm. and only 1.5 jugs of coolant required for refill.
Sponsored