sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2 door rubicon that i've outfitted for overlanding.

lift, winch, skids, roof top tent, etc....2 people, plus all my gear for a few days. I'm running Metalcloak Game Changer 3.5" lift (upgraded front drive shaft) with 35" tires. Stock gearing.

the Gross Vehicle Weight is 5,250 lbs. My fully loaded jeep with 2 of us is 6,200 lbs. about 18-20% over then GVR.

I want to avoid an axle or drive line failure while wheeling in remote places. I do like to wheel a bit in the rocks and some advanced intermediate terrain. Should I be thinking of beefier axels, gears, shafts, etc??? Am i too worried about this weight issue on my driveline?

Thanks
Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
The payload capacity for a 2 door Rubicon is 1040 lbs which I believe is what would apply here with everything you have added. Those numbers are usually a bit conservative from the manufacturer and regardless, you are almost 100 lbs below. Let's see what others say but I don't think you need beefier axels or shafts at the moment.

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
I think your drive line will be fine, the real issue I would worry about is at that weight if you were to get into a accident, and the insurance company was able to find out you were over the gross vehicle weight they might not cover you.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I think your drive line will be fine, the real issue I would worry about is at that weight if you were to get into a accident, and the insurance company was able to find out you were over the gross vehicle weight they might not cover you.
I have yet to find one real world scenario where a passenger vehicle was weighed after an accident, let alone insurance coverage denied because of weight. Not saying it isn't possible but I think the likelihood is very very slim.

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have yet to find one real world scenario where a passenger vehicle was weighed after an accident, let alone insurance coverage denied because of weight. Not saying it isn't possible but I think the likelihood is very very slim.
I definitely agree with you, if they ever tried to weigh his jeep he should buy a lotto ticket to go with it, But he is 950lbs over weight so he’s taking that chance of being liable for any accident.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
sarum87

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
the jeep weighs 4,160 lbs
the GVW is 5,250 lbs (basically the max payload on top of the weight of the jeep)
I'm at 6,200 lbs or 18% above GVW

I understand the issue with insurance which has ben raised before. My question is should I reinforce my driveline in some way being 18% over GVW?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
the jeep weighs 4,160 lbs
the GVW is 5,250 lbs (basically the max payload on top of the weight of the jeep)
I'm at 6,200 lbs or 18% above GVW

I understand the issue with insurance which has ben raised before. My question is should I reinforce my driveline in some way being 18% over GVW?
I would, in fact I am (waiting on axles, will then add Adams HD driveshafts once I have good measurements), but I think you will find opinions vary from "you should only own and drive a stock Jeep" all the way to "build it like an offroad racer", and everything in between. I am willing to pay for peace of mind and dependability, so I'm beefing up everything I can for my heavy build.

Edit. Of course you are starting out with beefier axles than my Sport S.

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
You should be completely fine at that weight. At most make sure you change the front and rear diff oils sooner than later, and any other related fluids. Otherwise I wouldn't stress it.

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think your fine. Your only running 35s with the 44 axles, upgraded drive shaft, and 4.10 gears. Sounds like a good build to me. I would try to reduce some weight, maybe remove the rear seat. Did you actually weigh your jeep at a truck stop, or is the 6200lbs just an estimate?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I have never heard of an insurance agency weighing a Jeep after an accident. I am sure it happens, but just not something you hear about very often. The axles should be your concern. I would think about trussing the front and possibly going with different shafts.

Another option would be to sell it to me for cheap so you don't have to worry about it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sarum87

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
laughs. yes I weighed it at a truck scale with me in it and it came to 5,340 lbs. then add 860 lbs (200 lbs is another person so think 660 lbs of all my stuff including 150 for the tent). when you add all your stuff it gets heavy. I could shave 50 lbs maybe....

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Normally I would say you're crazy to run that much over GVW but in this case I wouldn’t worry about it considering you’re still really close to the diesel JLU weight limits and they basically have the same frame, axles and steering.

And as far as insurance not covering because it’s over GVW I have two questions
1) Can anybody provide definitive proof where an insurance company declined coverage to a personal vehicle based on it being over weight? (And if so, was the insurance company challenged in court?)
2) If they can decline coverage due to over weight can they also decline coverage if you’re breaking laws like not stopping for a stop sign or traffic signal?
Sponsored