Sponsored

1752 Km and check engine light already - really Jeep!?

SIGP2101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2021 Rubicon 2.0T
Hi,

a brand new 2021 Rubicon with 1762 km on her and CEL already. Is anyone familiar with this? Must say this is very, very disappointing.
Service Stop/Start System message also appears on the display.

Thanks!

20210518_002130.jpg
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

a brand new 2021 Rubicon with 1762 km on her and CEL already. Is anyone familiar with this? Must say this is very, very disappointing.
Your issue is likely caused by a battery going bad. The JL Wrangler is known to have issues with either the main or auxiliary batteries. Many times, the vehicle sits for long periods and these batteries get weak and start to fail. Have the ESS system and battery/batteries checked.

Jeep Wrangler JL 1752 Km and check engine light already - really Jeep!? 1621341981436

keithg2101215

First Name
Keith Gorham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee
With all the electronics on cars now, I would be surprised if any new car went past 6 months without an CEL....

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hi,

Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL 1752 Km and check engine light already - really Jeep!? 1621341981436

It would be helpful if you provided some details like the engine you have.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
There is nothing anyone can do for you without, at a bare minimum, reading the DTC’s.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Get a cheap code reader. It'll at least help to calm your nerves until the dealer can look at it. That icon isn't actually a "Check Engine" light. It's now called a "Malfunction Indicator."

It's kinda the generic error message for your Jeep (it's what comes on if you don't tighten your gas cap enough). As long as that light isn't blinking, you should be safe to drive until you have it looked at (that's what the dealer told me).

I have a 2.0T and mine came on around 9,000 miles. I plugged in the code reader, got the error code, and googled it. Was happy to learn it was a common, non-urgent error. Turns out an emissions sensor failed and had to be replaced (under warranty).

OP
OP

SIGP2101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2021 Rubicon 2.0T
Here is an update!

Something has chewed through 3 sets of wires and devastated the hood liner.
The first set of wires were intake air temp sensor or MAF, not sure.
The second set was a harness leading to a windshield wiper motor.
The third harness is yet to be identified.
So I spliced it all up and solder new joints insulated all over with heat shrink and wrap it all up in the original crappy hockey tape wrapping Jeep used. This material must be some organic earth-friendly rodent of all kinds attractant material meant to be camping friendly solution from Jeep for all of us outdoorsy enthusiasts. Congratulations to you Jeep and your engineers.
After all, is said and done I do not have any more "ESS service needed" messages but "ESS not ready".
So I assume I have to drive it for a while before codes are cleared by themselves. Disconnecting batteries for time being would not help at all.
So the conclusion is that Jeeps have a wiring harness that is delicious to some kind of rodents. Where I live we have chipmunks, squirrels, and at the cottage, we have mice too. This is all symptomatic to the posts I have read already related to wiring harnesses that needed to be replaced after a number of visits to a dealership and after many rounds of troubleshooting and frustrated owners of brand new Jeeps.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Mice don’t tend to care how many miles are on a vehicle before they start tearing it up. They sure send a lot of business our way though. Glad they didn’t get it too bad.
Sponsored