Sponsored

1700 mile oil change

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I had the dealer do my first one at 3,717 miles. I had it for 3 months at that point. The onboard computer had the oil at 57%. I let the dealer do the free oil change which is the Penzoil Gold (I believe) which is a semi-synthetic. Once I run out of free changes I'll switch to Penzoil Platinum.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@WranglerMan

Oil, oil change related questions on a forum will yield you a zillion different opinions/answers. Often oil related threads, turn lets say sour, very quickly.

-When was the last time you heard of an oil related engine failure is a question that most real "gear heads", mechanics will ask you when you get overly concerned about oil and oil changes. Answer is, I haven't in years...

Anyway, personally, I would never go to the dealership service department for an oil change. In general, I avoid the dealership service department unless there is a warranty issue and I just have to let the service department deal with it.

I learned long ago that your vehicle to most service departments is just another vehicle and they treat is as so. Jockey the vehicle in, bang it around, slop stuff on it and get it out of there so the next one can come through. Yes, this is a generalization, but unfortunately a reality. In regard to reality, the only one that will care for your vehicle like you would care for it, is yourself..

As for your oil change needs. I would consider at the least, changing the oil filter alone at say 2500 miles. You can get an OEM oil filter in eBAY for about $6.39. Changing the oil filter is easy easy for someone from 13 to 99 years old... Very easy to do.

I will change the oil and filter on my JL myself, at approx. 2500 miles. I will do oil and filter changes at approx. 7,000 mile intervals. I'll say no more then that... 8-) I will be installing a Fumoto Oil Change Valve when I do the 1st oil change.

I really like the idea of the Fumoto and more than likely will go with it but I was given 4 free oil changes and tire rotations with the Wave program which was included in the sale of the Jeep to me, I know the Dealership service folks generally don’t give a crap about service especially oil changes that’s why in the past with new vehicles when ever I got free services like mentioned above I would not let the drive my vehicle into the bay I woukd drive it my self and then watched them do the service and then drove it out, there have been to many times before that where there was stuff that was missed, they may give me crap about regulation and that’s when I get the service manager involved, I doubt they will give me the oil and filter to do the change at home

Tridgerat

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hell, I'm at 7,200 miles and haven't had a change yet. I'll wait until the counter tells me I'm due.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
We all have preferences, but I'd be confident enough to, years from now, buy a used JL that was run on Pennzoil Gold and Mopar filters, totally and consistently by the OLM's indicated interval. That would be a well maintained engine run on very good oil.

I like even better oils and filters, mostly because I'm picky, it interests me, and it makes me feel good. The truth is, the PG is a very good oil and the Pentastar is relatively easy on oil, with no turbo and no direct injection. It is a good setup to go hundreds of thousands of miles. In fact, it SHOULD go 200,000 to 300,000 miles, with proper scheduled maintenance (air filters, plugs, belt, a water pump or two), and a steady diet of top tier gas, and no abuse.

Get those free oil changes with confidence, but check their work, including checking the filter and gasket, tightening the filter cap, check the oil fill cap, torque the drain plug, check the oil level, and check for leaks.

As for me, I'll be running my synthetic oil and filter of choice, and will do it myself. Just for my own entertainment.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
It's been so long since I've done my own oil change however I was under the JL and it looks ridiculously easy, provided I can find somewhere convenient to take the old oil.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Hell, I'm at 7,200 miles and haven't had a change yet. I'll wait until the counter tells me I'm due.
I’m at 5,300 miles and counter says 37% life or so.
My BMW easily goes 15,000k between oil changes. Has 112,000 and doesn’t burn oil at all. The exhaust tail pipes are clean. It amazes me!!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just looked at the product data sheet on Pennzoil Gold today and compared it to Pennzoil Platinum. Surprisingly, the Gold had a significantly higher flash point, while the pour point wasn't far off. I think that Pennzoil Gold might be the best value out there right now, rebates notwithstanding. It looks like it might be the best synthetic blend on the market and a nice little secret jewel in the Pennzoil lineup!

Edit...Wow, here it is compared to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. (Keep in mind, pour point and flash point don't tell the whole story, but it does tell something about how it handles extreme temperature conditions, which says something of the base stock oil that it starts with. Pennzoil Gold is looking VERY good here! The Ultra is very slightly thicker, but the Gold's flash point is 30.6 degrees higher. Pour points are exactly the same. Impressive! Even though the viscosity index is higher on the Gold, the difference between pour and flash point is significantly better with Gold.

Both are 0w20 weight, and temp is in Celsius:

Gold Ultra Platinum
Viscosity @100
degrees C 8.4 8.8

Pour Point -48 -48
Flash Point 241 224
Viscosity Index 165 172

If you are planning to run Pennzoil Gold, you should have great confidence in it handling everything you could throw at it, on the trail or the road.

Last edited:

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I just looked at the product data sheet on Pennzoil Gold today and compared it to Pennzoil Platinum. Surprisingly, the Gold had a significantly higher flash point, while the pour point wasn't far off. I think that Pennzoil Gold might be the best value out there right now, rebates notwithstanding. It looks like it might be the best synthetic blend on the market and a nice little secret jewel in the Pennzoil lineup!
Good to hear. I always ran the platinum full synthetic but the price of free was right so I let them run the Gold. Won't hurt anything regardless.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd love to see someone do a Blackstone analysis with Ultra or Platinum, and someone else do one with Gold, just for kicks. I'd bet the Gold would surprise some folks. My first UOA showed the viscosity holding up well at 2000 miles. It doesn't seem to shear much.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It is wise to change your oil for the first time within the first 2 to 3 thousand miles. The engine is going through a beak-in period and there are a lot of small particles that contaminate the oil, not to mention the filter can get clogged.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
How many engines actually fail from people not changing their oil at 2-3k miles? How many engines have catastrophic failure from oil concerns? Before recently I have owned 6 vehicles from different makes that all had over 200k miles on original engines.

That said, just change the oil in a regular basis depending on what kind oil your using. I now do 7000 mile oil change rotates.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
How many engines actually fail from people not changing their oil at 2-3k miles? How many engines have catastrophic failure from oil concerns? Before recently I have owned 6 vehicles from different makes that all had over 200k miles on original engines.

That said, just change the oil in a regular basis depending on what kind oil your using. I now do 7000 mile oil change rotates.
Why do you care? If it makes them feel good, why not.
Sponsored