Sponsored

1700 mile oil change

ksmit88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I got bored today and decided to do the first oil change at 1700 miles on my JLUR.

Went with Penzoil Platinum 0W20.

After I did the change I started to wonder if I did it too early and maybe the rings aren't set, etc. I'm sure it will be fine, but is there any cause for concern? Thanks!
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Well, I got bored today and decided to do the first oil change at 1700 miles on my JLUR.

Went with Penzoil Platinum 0W20.

After I did the change I started to wonder if I did it too early and maybe the rings aren't set, etc. I'm sure it will be fine, but is there any cause for concern? Thanks!
You are aok at 1700 miles. HEY, go here and get your $10.00 rebate on that 5 quarts of Pennzoil!
http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promo...6b2lsLzIwMTZuZXdzbGV0dGVyLz9sb2NhbGU9ZW5fdXM=

Also, read here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...m14-1-5-drain-valve-for-the-wrangler-jl.4441/

Be sure to:

Reset your JL's Oil Life Tracker after oil / oil filter changes!

Oil Life Reset Method:

1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).

2. Navigate to Oil Life submenu in Vehicle Info in the
instrument cluster display.

3. Push and hold the OK button until the gauge resets to
100%.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondary Method For Oil Change Reset Procedure
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.
3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition
to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

OP
OP
ksmit88

ksmit88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the coupon and response!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
No worries. Rings were probably seated after the engine did it's quality/leak check at the factory, before it was ever shipped to Toledo.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Captain OCD here... I went old school...

1st oil change 550 miles
2nd oil change 1550 miles
3rd oil change 5000 miles

Don't know if I will do changes every 3k, 4k or 5k yet. The cost of the oil is negligible to the long term benefit IMO.

There is a lot of debate about seating rings. I doubt they are seated at factory. I've talked to many people on this and one in particular has a full custom shop for over 20 years and he said there is seating that takes place in those first few hundred miles and you don't want to go beating on the RPMs.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Captain OCD here... I went old school...

1st oil change 550 miles
2nd oil change 1550 miles
3rd oil change 5000 miles

Don't know if I will do changes every 3k, 4k or 5k yet. The cost of the oil is negligible to the long term benefit IMO.

There is a lot of debate about seating rings. I doubt they are seated at factory. I've talked to many people on this and one in particular has a full custom shop for over 20 years and he said there is seating that takes place in those first few hundred miles and you don't want to go beating on the RPMs.
Only FCA knows, but as I mentioned before, my nephew builds stock based Honda drag racing engines. They receive Civic engines straight from the Honda assembly line. He says the rings in those engines are fully seated. Still, on customer engines, they do go easy on them on the first dyno runs, but those are not for many minutes before they push them hard to test and validate them before delivery.

Still, you can't go wrong assuming they are not seated. I treated mine very gently the first 500 miles, too.

I changed oil at 2k and will probably do the 2nd one tonight, at about 5,200. (3200 on the oil.) The new oil will be in there until mid October, no matter the mileage.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
My wife drives a '18 Cherokee with the 2.4L Multi-Air engine. The rings on those apparently don't seat until almost 20,000 miles. Hers is currently burning oil like it's sponsored by OPEC.

On my Wrangler, I'm getting ready to change the oil filter this week at 2,500 miles to clean out the break in metals and I'll continue to run the oil until it's time. This way you're doing the engine a favor but you're also maximizing use of those 4 free oil changes.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Captain OCD here... I went old school...... Don't know if I will do changes every 3k, 4k or 5k yet. The cost of the oil is negligible to the long term benefit IMO.....
I was a 3k guy too until we bought a BMW 3 series with a 15k oil change interval!!! Popycocks I said (actually used a more bovine word) but then started researching. BMW went from 15k to 10k change intervals in 2012 when they went to primarily turbo 4 cylinder engines. What really sold me on 5k intervals was that Porsche has a 20k !!!! change interval on their Carrera. Metallurgy and oil chemistry has come a loooooong way since the 3k change interval days. 5k to 10k change intervals (or more) are the new norm.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am hoping I am not wrong here but when I asked the dealer about oil changes he said let the oil life indicator tell you when it needs changed, currently I have 1800 miles on my JLU and have had no major issues and oil life says I have about 80% left so should I change it or maybe just do a filter change

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I am hoping I am not wrong here but when I asked the dealer about oil changes he said let the oil life indicator tell you when it needs changed, currently I have 1800 miles on my JLU and have had no major issues and oil life says I have about 80% left so should I change it or maybe just do a filter change
@WranglerMan

Oil, oil change related questions on a forum will yield you a zillion different opinions/answers. Often oil related threads, turn lets say sour, very quickly.

-When was the last time you heard of an oil related engine failure is a question that most real "gear heads", mechanics will ask you when you get overly concerned about oil and oil changes. Answer is, I haven't in years...

Anyway, personally, I would never go to the dealership service department for an oil change. In general, I avoid the dealership service department unless there is a warranty issue and I just have to let the service department deal with it.

I learned long ago that your vehicle to most service departments is just another vehicle and they treat is as so. Jockey the vehicle in, bang it around, slop stuff on it and get it out of there so the next one can come through. Yes, this is a generalization, but unfortunately a reality. In regard to reality, the only one that will care for your vehicle like you would care for it, is yourself..

As for your oil change needs. I would consider at the least, changing the oil filter alone at say 2500 miles. You can get an OEM oil filter in eBAY for about $6.39. Changing the oil filter is easy easy for someone from 13 to 99 years old... Very easy to do.

I will change the oil and filter on my JL myself, at approx. 2500 miles. I will do oil and filter changes at approx. 7,000 mile intervals. I'll say no more then that... 8-) I will be installing a Fumoto Oil Change Valve when I do the 1st oil change.

Sponsored

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@WranglerMan

Oil, oil change related questions on a forum will yield you a zillion different opinions/answers. Often oil related threads, turn lets say sour, very quickly.

-When was the last time you heard of an oil related engine failure is a question that most real "gear heads", mechanics will ask you when you get overly concerned about oil and oil changes. Answer is, I haven't in years...

Anyway, personally, I would never go to the dealership service department for an oil change. In general, I avoid the dealership service department unless there is a warranty issue and I just have to let the service department deal with it.

I learned long ago that your vehicle to most service departments is just another vehicle and they treat is as so. Jockey the vehicle in, bang it around, slop stuff on it and get it out of there so the next one can come through. Yes, this is a generalization, but unfortunately a reality. In regard to reality, the only one that will care for your vehicle like you would care for it, is yourself..

As for your oil change needs. I would consider at the least, changing the oil filter alone at say 2500 miles. You can get an OEM oil filter in eBAY for about $6.39. Changing the oil filter is easy easy for someone from 13 to 99 years old... Very easy to do.

I will change the oil and filter on my JL myself, at approx. 2500 miles. I will do oil and filter changes at approx. 7,000 mile intervals. I'll say no more then that... 8-) I will be installing a Fumoto Oil Change Valve when I do the 1st oil change.
Is there any risk that the Fumoto valve will be hit on a rock and open? Otherwise seems like a pretty inexpensive tool to make oil changes a little easier

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@WranglerMan

Fumotos webpage doesn't show one available for the JL.Thoughts?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there any risk that the Fumoto valve will be hit on a rock and open? Otherwise seems like a pretty inexpensive tool to make oil changes a little easier
Sure, there is always a chance you could hit on a rock and destroy the oil pan and the Fumoto. Most guys doing that kind of boulder crunching have skid plates as to protect the oil pan, oil plug, etc..

I'd say the Fumoto is a terrific adjunct for most. DO read at this thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...m14-1-5-drain-valve-for-the-wrangler-jl.4441/

I've used Fumoto's on aircraft, trucks, cars and just recently installed one on my '01 Fatboy.
Never an issue in well over 12 years of using them.

Oh, never had one just open. I keep a lock on them but even without a lock, it is not gonna just open so to speak.
Sponsored