15k miles and death wobble

Jlu2114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jlu
I’m new to this forum and I’ve been reading for days about the jlu platform and death wobble.
So last year I bought my wife a 2022 jlu and it was great up until about 12k miles. We started to notice what felt like a shimmy or possibly out of balance tire. We did change the tires out 2 days after we bought it for some a/t tires that were a little bit taller 31inch I believe but went almost 12k on them with no problems so we didn’t think that was it. I took it back to the tire shop had them check all the tires and rebalance them. This made no change in the shimmy vibration that was felt. Also it would go away on certain roads and come back on others.

fast forward to now it’s at 15kmiles and has a severe death wobble there are a couple spots close to the house we’re I can duplicate it every time. About 60mph hit the uneven bump in the road and the steering wheel starts shaking violently and rattles everything inside until I slow to at least 30mph sometimes all the way to 10pm before it stops.

I took it to the dealer and told them what was happening they looked at and said the steering stabilizer was the problem and the tires needed to be rotated. Now I was very doubtful that this would fix it and we just had the tires rotated a couple thousand miles ago.
The dealer said that the part was on back order with no eta but they could get one from another dealer if we paid 78 dollars shipping.
I ended up ordering a rough country n3 and had it at the door the next day for 54 bucks so now a new stabilizer installed and tires rotated and it still does the same thing.

now the dealer said that they checked everything in the front end but nothing was loose. I double checked it for my self and found that the drag link had play at both ends turning the wheel from 10-2 there was side to side play in the joint and I could feel see and hear the joint popping. I took it back to the dealer and had the service manager come look at it so I could show them.

now here is where I have started to loose all trust in this dealer. They called back and said they did find play in the drag link “ well duh I showed it to them”but that it wasn’t bad enough to cause a wobble and they said they could not duplicate the wobble even though I showed them a video I took of it while it was happening. Then they said they could replace the inner joint of the drag link but we would have to pay 78 dollars shipping because it had to come from another dealer and the other end was not available at all with no eta.

At this point I’m not going to argue with them about if it’s happening or not and I’m not going to pay money to fix half of the problem so I told them not to touch it and went and picked it up. I ordered a synergy hd drag link and am currently waiting for it to come in the mail. Now i have a keep that in paying on and can’t even drive and it only has 15k miles on it.
Terrible dealer support and stuck fixing it myself. It’s not a big deal to work on vehicles I’ve been a tech for years but it is absurd that this vehicle has such low miles has steering problems and can’t get a dealer to fix it.

now if you have read all that and are still here thanks

has anyone else had this experience
Did you fix it yourself or did you’re dealer step in and help.

should I expect other suspension and steering components to go out so soon as well
Sponsored

Ten North Prez

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR, Toyota 4th Gen V8 4 Runner
This is why I wasn't very concerned putting on the lift and replacing a bunch of parts on mine at 42 miles new. From what I've read on here the most Jeep is going to do is replace bad parts with the same mediocre crap that was put on it from the factory and I'll have the same problem again anyway. Since I know that I'll end up replacing poorly engineered parts with aftermarket anyway, why wait until the warranty expires? Just headaches that no one needs.
I'm old enough to remember when replacing parts with OEM was considered a good thing. Those days are long gone.
Good luck to you Sir!

jc1003

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara, 2019 Pacifica, 2016 CX-9, 2023 Hornet
Occupation
IT
We had the same problem with my wife's stock 2022 Sahara. Dealer replaced the stabilizer this week. No wobble but I do have a Exact Center stabilizer in my garage ready to replace the stock one.

OP
OP

Jlu2114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jlu
This is why I wasn't very concerned putting on the lift and replacing a bunch of parts on mine at 42 miles new. From what I've read on here the most Jeep is going to do is replace bad parts with the same mediocre crap that was put on it from the factory and I'll have the same problem again anyway. Since I know that I'll end up replacing poorly engineered parts with aftermarket anyway, why wait until the warranty expires? Just headaches that no one needs.
I'm old enough to remember when replacing parts with OEM was considered a good thing. Those days are long gone.
Good luck to you Sir!
Thats kind of what I thought it’s just frustrating that a brand new vehicle can’t make it 15k miles before it needs front end work.
it’s not like we beat the crap out of it. It’s all stock except for the tires which are not that much bigger. And it’s only been off-road twice even then it was just some really mild trails.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

can’t get a dealer to fix it.
Try another dealer. Don't let a bad experience with one keep you from trying another. You have a warranty, and are still within the mileage limit, so take advantage of it and have a dealer fix it.

should I expect other suspension and steering components to go out so soon as well
Simple answer, no. Knock on wood, I've had zero issues with my 2020.

Sponsored

Ten North Prez

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats kind of what I thought it’s just frustrating that a brand new vehicle can’t make it 15k miles before it needs front end work.
it’s not like we beat the crap out of it. It’s all stock except for the tires which are not that much bigger. And it’s only been off-road twice even then it was just some really mild trails.
Couldn't agree more. And for the pricing on these there is ZERO excuse for subpar parts and poor support from dealers.

Welcome to the forum by the way!!!

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
It reads to me like you don't want to pay for the dealer to get you the parts they think will solve the issue and you keep adding third party parts (cheaper shipping) expecting them to deal with it.

UncleJimmy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR; 2016 Toyota Tundra
You should not pay one red cent for shipping. Show me in the warranty where it says you have to pay shipping. I would start leaving bad reviews everywhere: BBB, Google Reviews, Dealer reviews etc. I would go up the chain. Eventually you will be more of a headache than it's worth and they will take care of it. SOPs these days unfortunately.

failsafe306

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 2.0
Build Thread
Link
Write off that dealer, and get familiar with wrenching, if you aren’t already. Plenty of resources here to help you through it. 👍

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Write off that dealer, and get familiar with wrenching, if you aren’t already. Plenty of resources here to help you through it. 👍
And if the OP keeps changing parts on his own and the issue isn't resolved or gets worse, he's screwed. This is 100% a dealer fixable issue and should 100% be handled by a dealer under the vehicle's warranty.

Yes, I know many people wish to avoid the dealer experience at all costs, but new vehicles have factory/OEM warranties for a reason and ALL dealers must honor said warranties.

Sponsored

failsafe306

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 2.0
Build Thread
Link
And if the OP keeps changing parts on his own and the issue isn't resolved or gets worse, he's screwed. This is 100% a dealer fixable issue and should 100% be handled by a dealer under the vehicle's warranty.

Yes, I know many people wish to avoid the dealer experience at all costs, but new vehicles have factory/OEM warranties for a reason and ALL dealers must honor said warranties.
That’s just, like, what I would do, man. I don’t have time for dealerships to jerk me around. If something in my drivetrain shits the bed within warranty, then I’ll gladly let them handle it. But loose parts on the front end? No thank you.

Barney392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I’m new to this forum and I’ve been reading for days about the jlu platform and death wobble.
So last year I bought my wife a 2022 jlu and it was great up until about 12k miles. We started to notice what felt like a shimmy or possibly out of balance tire. We did change the tires out 2 days after we bought it for some a/t tires that were a little bit taller 31inch I believe but went almost 12k on them with no problems so we didn’t think that was it. I took it back to the tire shop had them check all the tires and rebalance them. This made no change in the shimmy vibration that was felt. Also it would go away on certain roads and come back on others.

fast forward to now it’s at 15kmiles and has a severe death wobble there are a couple spots close to the house we’re I can duplicate it every time. About 60mph hit the uneven bump in the road and the steering wheel starts shaking violently and rattles everything inside until I slow to at least 30mph sometimes all the way to 10pm before it stops.

I took it to the dealer and told them what was happening they looked at and said the steering stabilizer was the problem and the tires needed to be rotated. Now I was very doubtful that this would fix it and we just had the tires rotated a couple thousand miles ago.
The dealer said that the part was on back order with no eta but they could get one from another dealer if we paid 78 dollars shipping.
I ended up ordering a rough country n3 and had it at the door the next day for 54 bucks so now a new stabilizer installed and tires rotated and it still does the same thing.

now the dealer said that they checked everything in the front end but nothing was loose. I double checked it for my self and found that the drag link had play at both ends turning the wheel from 10-2 there was side to side play in the joint and I could feel see and hear the joint popping. I took it back to the dealer and had the service manager come look at it so I could show them.

now here is where I have started to loose all trust in this dealer. They called back and said they did find play in the drag link “ well duh I showed it to them”but that it wasn’t bad enough to cause a wobble and they said they could not duplicate the wobble even though I showed them a video I took of it while it was happening. Then they said they could replace the inner joint of the drag link but we would have to pay 78 dollars shipping because it had to come from another dealer and the other end was not available at all with no eta.

At this point I’m not going to argue with them about if it’s happening or not and I’m not going to pay money to fix half of the problem so I told them not to touch it and went and picked it up. I ordered a synergy hd drag link and am currently waiting for it to come in the mail. Now i have a keep that in paying on and can’t even drive and it only has 15k miles on it.
Terrible dealer support and stuck fixing it myself. It’s not a big deal to work on vehicles I’ve been a tech for years but it is absurd that this vehicle has such low miles has steering problems and can’t get a dealer to fix it.

now if you have read all that and are still here thanks

has anyone else had this experience
Did you fix it yourself or did you’re dealer step in and help.

You might find some help with @JeepCares

Ten North Prez

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I don't think anyone here disagrees that it SHOULD be fixed by the dealer. But at a certain point the time, hassle, and endless run around surpasses the hurt of putting your own time and money into fixing the issue even though they should.
And in the OP's case he can pay money out of pocket to ship parts in (no he shouldn't have to) or the dealer can say we'll fix it as soon as the part comes in. All while his $50K vehicle sits waiting in their shop.
I'll give you this though, if more of us pushed the dealer to live up to their end rather than fixing it ourselves to avoid their BS we may, as a group, force the dealers to be better. We are doing exactly what they want us to do... fix it out of pocket and leave them to do oil changes and brake jobs for insane profit.

OP
OP

Jlu2114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jlu
It reads to me like you don't want to pay for the dealer to get you the parts they think will solve the issue and you keep adding third party parts (cheaper shipping) expecting them to deal with it.
I shouldn’t have to pay for shipping period it’s under warranty

the factory part went out in 15k why am I going to pay more for the same part when a better one cost less.

the dealer said everything else was good when it really wasn’t. Re read my post
Sponsored