15inches of rain on our soft top

HotSpringsJL

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL base sport
It’s rained 15 inches since our new Jeep was delivered. It is kept outside without cover The soft top has not had a single drop inside.

Vast improvement from my jk top. I used to keep my plugs out so the water would drain out.

Has anyone had any leakage problems?
Sponsored

kacper244

First Name
Kacper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2016 VW Jetta, 1993 Wrangler YJ (Sold)
I saw a Sport S with the Premium Black Sunrider Soft Top on a dealers lot the other day when it was raining. I took a look at it just to see if it was leaking or not, and... it was. The front was perfectly dry, but right by the both removable rear windows there were water drops all along the plastic piece at the bottom of them.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I saw a Sport S with the Premium Black Sunrider Soft Top on a dealers lot the other day when it was raining. I took a look at it just to see if it was leaking or not, and... it was. The front was perfectly dry, but right by the both removable rear windows there were water drops all along the plastic piece at the bottom of them.
I think we need to take into account that dealers could be removing the tops (any of the tops available) as well as dropping the windshields for customers that want to see the changes. They also could be doing this just to see for themselves. They may not be putting them back together correctly. If they do a quick sloppy job they can have issues.

For those wondering if these will leak the answer is YES. They can leak if the parts are not put on correctly either at the factory or at the dealer. I would not let this sway anyone from buying one. The fit can be adjusted to prevent the leaking in most cases.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
My issue is equally with not whether installed correctly they leak, but how water fails to drain properly on some tops, when the door is opened, aware from the interior of the vehicle.

My concern is almost top independent: soft, hard, power, FCA or aftermarket.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Water leakage is a big concern for me since I've been fighting that with my JK for a while now. The fixes the dealer employed were lackluster at best (FCA solution for any water leak is to apply silicone to xxxx area) and never resolved the issue and whether seals are not covered by the Max Care warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP

HotSpringsJL

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL base sport
There just seems to be better engineering in this one. A more intelligent use of gravity. But even driving in heavy rain 75 miles an hour last night, we were high and dry.

duckhunter71

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150
It’s rained 15 inches since our new Jeep was delivered. It is kept outside without cover The soft top has not had a single drop inside.

Vast improvement from my jk top. I used to keep my plugs out so the water would drain out.

Has anyone had any leakage problems?
I knew you’d be a local before seeing your username.. we’ve had so much rain it’s crazy. I’m down in Nashville/Murfreesboro. Glad to hear they’re fairly weatherproof. I don’t have a JL yet, but I just got rid of a 4Runner that was a moldy mess from leaks so I’m glad to hear that there’s a chance I won’t have to deal with that again. Hopefully the new hard tops are more leakproof than some of the JK ones.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
There just seems to be better engineering in this one. A more intelligent use of gravity. But even driving in heavy rain 75 miles an hour last night, we were high and dry.
Driving at speed I've never had an issue with water getting in on my JK. Usually when it's sitting parked, though there this one time when we were wheeling in the rain, but that was all low and slow.

OP
OP

HotSpringsJL

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL base sport
I knew you’d be a local before seeing your username.. we’ve had so much rain it’s crazy. I’m down in Nashville/Murfreesboro. Glad to hear they’re fairly weatherproof. I don’t have a JL yet, but I just got rid of a 4Runner that was a moldy mess from leaks so I’m glad to hear that there’s a chance I won’t have to deal with that again. Hopefully the new hard tops are more leakproof than some of the JK ones.
Glad to hear you didn't float away. Ducks like this weather. You will love the new soft top. So easy to remove and put up and down.
Sponsored