Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
Heh Heh, friends look at my jeep and say--

This is nothing like the jeeps I'VE SEEN !

W.E.

JIMBO
I get compliments all the time , the new JL is the best looking jeep ever made
Sponsored

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
October 2, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported U.S. sales of 199,819 vehicles, a 15 percent increase compared with sales in September 2017 of 174,266 vehicles.

Ummm...no?
Sorry I assumed they would, but that does make sense, because our profit sharing is based on US sales only. Thanks for the correcting my error.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
Who in the world is buying new Avengers and Darts? According to the chart FCA has sold 4 Avengers this year. And 11 Darts in September. I'm guessing your primary shopping concern would have to be price to buy an Avenger over any of the current crop of compact cars.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
So... If Jeep made a 2%+ sales increase, year over year, when the production is already at or near maximum capacity when offering no rebates or other sales incentives... Some of you would consider that a failure?

Think about it. If the JK was the best selling Jeep Wrangler in history and they release the JL, raise the prices across the board, multiple increases in the first year run and still sell MORE than the previous model. How is that a failure?

Sponsored

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Just as I predicted, now that JK sales are all dried up, the over-whelming price increase on JL is starting to slow the sales pace. Fall is typically a big time for sales, so seeing Wrangler sales slowing down is very telling.
The way I see it, the JKs have continued to sell well in 2018, as they did in 2017, but with the newness factor of the JL added in on top of that, the overall sales really went through the roof for a while, even with the higher JL prices. I agree, however that the decline of the JK supply is probably a big factor in the decline of overall Wrangler sales numbers since the last JK went off the line in April:

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 8.47.34 PM.png

Source: http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/jeep/jeep-wrangler/

Those are pretty serious sales drops across the summer months, especially when compared to prior years, but the sudden 4K drop in September (the September number is 15,938, from the original post) is the most curious one. There are no huge drops like that in previous years. Are the effects of the price increases finally catching up with FCA, now that the JKs are gone and the newness of the JLs is wearing off? Maybe. If I were FCA, I'd be a little concerned, unless there is some supply-side explanation that will be corrected in the near future.

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
Today I walked to the Jeep store inside the plant, need some new hoodies and t-shirt. I walked by final and out of the 15 Jeep's that I seen, 11 of them had sold stickers on them. These are pre- ordered, so I would say that sales are doing very well still. And we wouldn't be working 70 hours a week if they weren't. I may not get a day off until Thanksgiving. Yes, Sunday is voluntary, but I never turn down 10 hours of double time. That's just sillyness

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
So... If Jeep made a 2%+ sales increase, year over year, when the production is already at or near maximum capacity when offering no rebates or other sales incentives... Some of you would consider that a failure?

Think about it. If the JK was the best selling Jeep Wrangler in history and they release the JL, raise the prices across the board, multiple increases in the first year run and still sell MORE than the previous model. How is that a failure?
I would agree with you that if sales continue to be 2% or more above 2017 levels once the JKs have completely dried up, then from FCA's point of view, that's a successful launch, not a failure. But if you look at the chart I just posted, I'd say that's far from given. That chart shows that the September Wrangler sales figure is down nearly 50% from the peak monthly sales figure which occurred back in April. If that continues, then sales will be in decline very shortly, and prices will follow.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
What is most telling is year-over-year sales, which was only 2% over September 2017.

Like most vehicles that have a following, there is a big rush of pent up demand, then sales recede to a constant level or slowly decline until a mid-cycle refresh or complete update. Now that most everyone that just HAD to have a new JL has purchased one, how many "casual" buyers will be willing to pay close to $50K for a Wrangler? Time will tell.
I paid $36k for my JLU Sport S. Most people don't buy loaded Rubicons and Saharas. They buy Sports. So yes average prices for Jeeps have gone up from low-mid 30s to mid-upper 30s. But $50k is for the forum dwellers not the average buyer.

Try to get a 4Runner, Tacoma, explorer, etc for less than that. I think Jeeps are competitively priced.

It's like people who buy the Hermes AppleWatch and complain about the battery life and the price. If you pay $1,000 for a $400 watch that's not Apple's fault. That's yours. If you have the money and you like the fancy band and watch face good for you. Just don't complain about it.
Sponsored