15,983 Wranglers Sold in September 2018

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
A better question is: How is a 250 unit increase over what the JK did a year ago a 27% increase?

And, it did dissuade me from buying one. That's why I leased. :giggle:
What’s funny is that you think a lease somehow defies the price increase....
Sponsored

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Interesting how most of the market dried up. If the economy hiccups even slightly these
numbers will be really bad. Otherwise, I am curious to see how many Wranglers people will purchase. The crappy build over site on the 2018's did not comfort me.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
The 250 unit increase is for this September vs September 2017 and is only a 2% increase. The 27% increase is YTD sales vs same LYTD.
The math is simple, Jeep has sold 190K Wranglers in 2018, of both JK and JL types. That’s roughly 21,100 per month. The JL shipments were muted in January and February as production ramped, but given the September numbers of about 15K units, yes it was a softer month. Is this a normal seasonal slowdown or something else, only time will tell.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Do the Wranglers sold outside the USA show up in these numbers?

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Nice to see FCA kicking a$$, my Wrangler was one of them, also good to see Honda down 7%, Toyota down10%, Nissan down 12% and Ford 11%, guess FCA and Jeep are steeling market share.
The 7% loss by Honda alone more than makes up for FCA's 6% increase. 70% of Hondas sold in America are made in America by American Union workers in 11 different American plants. And I'm not even mentioning Toyota and its Camry. So, when you say it's good to see those sales down, what you're really saying is it's good to see American Union workers' jobs being threatened..
.:flag:https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...vey-top-made--usa-cars-toyota-honda/86510052/

Isn't the SRT assembled in Canada? (maybe I should just be quiet and buy a Brazilian Ford TROLLer...)

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
How is a 27% increase "seeing Wrangler sales slowing down?"

Apparently "the over-whelming price increase on JL" didn't dissuade you from buying one.
What is most telling is year-over-year sales, which was only 2% over September 2017.

Like most vehicles that have a following, there is a big rush of pent up demand, then sales recede to a constant level or slowly decline until a mid-cycle refresh or complete update. Now that most everyone that just HAD to have a new JL has purchased one, how many "casual" buyers will be willing to pay close to $50K for a Wrangler? Time will tell.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What is most telling is year-over-year sales, which was only 2% over September 2017.

Like most vehicles that have a following, there is a big rush of pent up demand, then sales recede to a constant level or slowly decline until a mid-cycle refresh or complete update. Now that most everyone that just HAD to have a new JL has purchased one, how many "casual" buyers will be willing to pay close to $50K for a Wrangler? Time will tell.
I think your correct that the “mad rush” is just about over. I also believe that the numbers of folks who would want a Wrangler will likely increase with the JL, given its slightly more gentrified demeanor (much more modern interior). The issue then becomes cost (price). In my opinion the marketing wizards at FCA know what their doing when it comes to setting prices, they fully comprehend price elasticity and economies of scale. Ultimately the market sets the price, and for the moment, Jeep is doing well enough that a price cut is very unlikely, in my opinion there’s far greater risk of a price increase.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
A better question is: How is a 250 unit increase over what the JK did a year ago a 27% increase?
Your "better question" is non sequitur. I cited YTD statistics and you know it. But you do have a demonstrated knack for intellectual dishonesty in this forum, so I'm not really surprised.

Sponsored

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
I see many dealers loaded with JL's. My local dealer has units that I know have been sitting for a month. I think the rush has slowed down.

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
How many wranglers can the plant run on 3 shifts, how many back orders are there, dont recall them making many more than 15K units a month in the past? from there point of view, they want to maximize plant capacity, also they are converting the other old JK to the new Wrangler Truck and new Dakota

My guess they are still selling as many as they can build and if anything demand will still be strong, have shown my Wrangler to a few neighbors, they are amazed at how much nicer it rides and the comforts you can get in them, one is going to dump his 1 yr old tacoma next spring and order one. He likes Wranglers but didnt have a clue it was a new model, considering they dont even spend a dime on advertisiing, it seems to sell damn well. Good for FCA, keep raisig the price so our resale values stay good :) LOL
We are currently running 2 , .10 hour shifts. 6 days a week and 1 shift on Sunday. Each shift is putting out anywhere from 480 to 530 Jeeps. Our goal is to get 600 Jeep's built in a 10 hour shift. It's taking us awhile but we are getting there. I listed the reasons for this slow launch on another thread.

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting how most of the market dried up. If the economy hiccups even slightly these
numbers will be really bad. Otherwise, I am curious to see how many Wranglers people will purchase. The crappy build over site on the 2018's did not comfort me.
Agree entirely. I feel more consumers do their research than ever before. Some of the items\concerns early on had me more motivated to wait. This was solidified with production speed or lack of mid year. It got close enough to new model I felt comfortable enough to pull the trigger for the '19. Additionally, I'll have paid a massive amount down in as its been a year to prepare by the time it gets built so factoring economy and market changes definitely impacted my process.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I see many dealers loaded with JL's. My local dealer has units that I know have been sitting for a month. I think the rush has slowed down.
No doubt they are expensive. The Sport S JLUs are usually well optioned and nearly $45k msrp.

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
A month is quite normal. And, not surprising that the JL now has some age on it.
Sponsored