Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

FCA has released its September sales figures which shows that 15,983 Wranglers were sold last month (September 2018).

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 8.29.01 AM.jpg

FCA US Reports 2018 September Sales

• FCA US reaches highest September of total and retail sales in 18 years
  • Ram and Jeep® brands each post record September total sales
  • Ram brand posts best month of total sales ever
  • Alfa Romeo brand sales increase 29 percent over last year
October 2, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported U.S. sales of 199,819 vehicles, a 15 percent increase compared with sales in September 2017 of 174,266 vehicles.

FCA US total sales and retail sales both posted their best performance in September in 18 years. The September total sales record was in 2000 when sales reached 219,966 vehicles. Retail sales of 149,713 vehicles were the highest level since 2000 when retail sales hit 189,794. Sales were driven by Ram pickup trucks, Jeep® Cherokee and Jeep Compass. Fleet accounted for 25 percent of total sales.

“Our Ram and Jeep brands propelled both our retail and total sales to their highest levels in 18 years,” said Reid Bigland, Head of U.S. Sales.

Jeep Brand
Jeep brand sales rose 14 percent to 83,764 vehicles. It was the ninth consecutive time Jeep has set a monthly record for total sales. It was the sixth time this year Jeep brand sales have surpassed 80,000 vehicles. The Cherokee and Compass led the way with sales rising 87 percent and 46 percent, respectively.

Ram Brand
Ram brand sales rose 9 percent to 56,447 vehicles compared with the previous year. It was the best month of sales since August 2018 when sales reached 54,808 vehicles. It was the highest September sales for the brand since it was launched in 2009. The light-duty Ram 1500 was the driver as retail sales rose 11 percent to 30,498 and total sales rose 18 percent to 36,658 vehicles. It was the best September of light-duty retail and total sales ever.

Alfa Romeo Brand
Alfa Romeo brand sales rose 29 percent to 1,639 vehicles. Stelvio accounted for the majority of those sales with 864 vehicles sold.

Dodge Brand
Dodge brand sales jumped 41 percent to 42,101. The brand sales were driven by the Dodge Journey, which rose 48 percent, the Dodge Challenger, which rose 14 percent, and the Caravan, which saw its sales climb to 13,829 vehicles for the month.

Chrysler Brand
Chrysler brand sales declined 7 percent to 14,683 vehicles compared with the same month a year ago.

FIAT Brand
Sales of Fiat declined 46 percent to 1,185 vehicles.

Method of Determining FCA US LLC’s Monthly Sales. FCA US’s reported vehicle sales represent unit sales of vehicles to retail customers, deliveries of vehicles to fleet customers and to others such as FCA US’s employees and retirees as well as vehicles used for marketing. Most of these reported sales reflect retail sales made by dealers out of their own inventory of vehicles previously purchased by them from FCA US. Reported vehicle units sales do not correspond to FCA US’s reported revenues, which are based on FCA US’s sale and delivery of vehicles, and typically recognized upon shipment to the dealer or end customer. As announced on July 26, 2016, FCA US has modified its methodology for monthly sales reporting as follows:
  • Sales to retail customers by dealers in the U.S. are derived from the New Vehicle Delivery Report (“NVDR”) system and are determined as the sum of (A) all sales recorded by dealers during the month net of all unwound transactions recorded to the end of that month (whether the original sale was recorded in the current month or any prior month); plus (B) all sales of vehicles during that month attributable to past unwinds that had previously been reversed in determining monthly sales (in the current or prior months).
  • Fleet sales are recorded upon the shipment of the vehicle by FCA US to the customer or end user.
  • Other retail sales are recorded either (A) when the sale is recorded in the NVDR system (for sales by dealers in Puerto Rico and limited sales made through distributors that submit NVDRs in the same manner as for sales by U.S. dealers) or (B) upon receipt of a similar delivery notification (for vehicles for which NVDRs are not entered such as vehicles for FCA employees).
Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Nice to see FCA kicking a$$, my Wrangler was one of them, also good to see Honda down 7%, Toyota down10%, Nissan down 12% and Ford 11%, guess FCA and Jeep are steeling market share.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just as I predicted, now that JK sales are all dried up, the over-whelming price increase on JL is starting to slow the sales pace. Fall is typically a big time for sales, so seeing Wrangler sales slowing down is very telling.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Just as I predicted, now that JK sales are all dried up, the over-whelming price increase on JL is starting to slow the sales pace. Fall is typically a big time for sales, so seeing Wrangler sales slowing down is very telling.
How is a 27% increase "seeing Wrangler sales slowing down?"

Apparently "the over-whelming price increase on JL" didn't dissuade you from buying one.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
There are a lot of ways to interpret this. They have sold 40,000 more units year to date over last year. That is likely partially due to people wanting to get a JK before it was too late, but probably more due to the excitement of the JL. Either way at some point the market is going to dry up. There are 40,000 less customers looking now than last year. Plus, order banks have opened for the 2019. Time will tell.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

Apparently "the over-whelming price increase on JL" didn't dissuade you from buying one.
27% is combined JK and JL. The test will be how well the JL does on its own once all JKs have been sold. Will buyers be price sensitive to the JL higher msrp?

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
27% is combined JK and JL. The test will be how well the JL does on its own once all JKs have been sold. Will buyers be price sensitive to the JL higher msrp?
I'd hazard a guess that 2018 JK sales are a drop in the bucket.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
How many wranglers can the plant run on 3 shifts, how many back orders are there, dont recall them making many more than 15K units a month in the past? from there point of view, they want to maximize plant capacity, also they are converting the other old JK to the new Wrangler Truck and new Dakota

My guess they are still selling as many as they can build and if anything demand will still be strong, have shown my Wrangler to a few neighbors, they are amazed at how much nicer it rides and the comforts you can get in them, one is going to dump his 1 yr old tacoma next spring and order one. He likes Wranglers but didnt have a clue it was a new model, considering they dont even spend a dime on advertisiing, it seems to sell damn well. Good for FCA, keep raisig the price so our resale values stay good :) LOL

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I think I would read this as saying the upward trend was muted by a “snatch and grab” for the JK model. You accelerated the buyers and that can even out stats.

But you are right, time will tell. But based on all the reports shown so far, the few grand difference isn’t stopping the appetite. If it had, you would see a decline overall, and not an improvement- even if minor.

Sponsored

grapejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
How many wranglers can the plant run on 3 shifts, how many back orders are there, dont recall them making many more than 15K units a month in the past?
Another member who works at the plant mentioned that they build roughly 6100+ a week. The goal is about 1 a minute. 2 shifts Mon thru Sat and 1 shift Sun.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

A better question is: How is a 250 unit increase over what the JK did a year ago a 27% increase?

And, it did dissuade me from buying one. That's why I leased. :giggle:

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Alfa Romeo Brand
Alfa Romeo brand sales rose 29 percent to 1,639 vehicles. Stelvio accounted for the majority of those sales with 864 vehicles sold.

That's because dealers were finally offering good incentives around 20% off MSRP, leasing this thing was very popular in the past months especially the older model without Apple CP and Android auto could be had for $400~/mo for $50k+ Stelvio.

Alfa needs to have more incentives and it'll sell really well.

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
A better question is: How is a 250 unit increase over what the JK did a year ago a 27% increase?

And, it did dissuade me from buying one. That's why I leased. :giggle:
The 250 unit increase is for this September vs September 2017 and is only a 2% increase. The 27% increase is YTD sales vs same LYTD.

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
Chief, what article did you read?
Sponsored