Sponsored

15,000 mile service?

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
Is this really necessary? I dropped of my 2019 wrangler for an oil change and tire rotation free under the Jeep Wave program, but now they are saying I should get the 15,000 mile service for $585. He said it includes flushing the differential fluid, but the list of work done that I’ve seen doesn’t include that. I’m thinking of passing on that.
Sponsored

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
That is a "dealer service" The owners manual makes no mention of it that i saw....

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is a "dealer service" The owners manual makes no mention of it that i saw....
Ok, thank you. I was also able to find the manual online. Tough when your car is in for service and you don't have the manual to double check what they're telling you. :)

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Ok, thank you. I was also able to find the manual online. Tough when your car is in for service and you don't have the manual to double check what they're telling you. :)
100% so! Also, the dealers are in it to make money so it can be tough when they hit you up all at once to decide. in the old days it was important to do this service same with changing motor oil after 500 miles to get out metal shavings and such, but modern manufacturing has really ended that requirement.

Blackey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon JL
So everyone is following the service schedule? Jeep doesn’t have a severe service schedule like most manufacturers is that because they figure most jeeps fit in that category already?

Sponsored

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I called FCA and they shipped me an owners’ manual at no cost. You can also sign in to Mopar.com and download the owner’s manual and view the maintenance schedule, which lists a 20,000 mile front and rear axle fluid inspection.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i flushed my diffs after 13K miles. ( i have the LSD dana 44 in the sports) man the rear was black as night and had minor grit in it. glad i changed it when i did as i know the clutch packs are terrible on the JL's LSD. front was clean but i changed it any ways. peace of mind for 50-70 bucks. took a whole 30 mins. with having a nice glass of scotch to get it dialed in. planning on doing my trans and transfer case at 20K. ( manual transmission )

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i flushed my diffs after 13K miles. ( i have the LSD dana 44 in the sports) man the rear was black as night and had minor grit in it. glad i changed it when i did as i know the clutch packs are terrible on the JL's LSD. front was clean but i changed it any ways. peace of mind for 50-70 bucks. took a whole 30 mins. with having a nice glass of scotch to get it dialed in. planning on doing my trans and transfer case at 20K. ( manual transmission )
I'd be ok paying $50-70, but they wanted $585. Now, I do have the LSD dana 44 with a manual as well, so I'm wondering if I should get it done.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

I'd be ok paying $50-70, but they wanted $585. Now, I do have the LSD dana 44 with a manual as well, so I'm wondering if I should get it done.
honestly do it you self. the JL is so simple. using a 3/8" wratched drive to open the fill plug first then the drain plug, then drain it. close the drain port and fill it until it just starts to drip out of the fill opening. once that happens close the fill port and tighten to i believe i believe its about 3qt total for front and rear. i used royal purple as it has the LSD friction additive in it already and you wont have to worry about it.

Differential Drain Plug | 34 Nm | 25 ft. lbs. | fill plug is the same torque spec

ScottMA64

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2dr
honestly do it you self. the JL is so simple. using a 3/8" wratched drive to open the fill plug first then the drain plug, then drain it. close the drain port and fill it until it just starts to drip out of the fill opening. once that happens close the fill port and tighten to i believe i believe its about 3qt total for front and rear. i used royal purple as it has the LSD friction additive in it already and you wont have to worry about it.

Differential Drain Plug | 34 Nm | 25 ft. lbs. | fill plug is the same torque spec
Don't forget to wrap the threads with a chemical resistant tape.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Barely Krawlified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Fellow JL owner, take it from someone who has very, very limited experience wrenching/tinkering both in general and on vehicles — you can quite easily change the differential fluid in both axles yourself.

There are several Youtube videos showing the process and the basic tools/supplies you’ll need to complete the job from A to Z with no mess and no drama. Not only will you enjoy the satisfaction of having done it yourself but you’ll save yourself hundreds of dollars for other wants/needs.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Just bought the OEM oil and additive yesterday (~$132 total in OEM fluid cost) to do my rear @ 24k. Previous dealership @ 20k (last free change) inspected the oil and said it didn't need it, but I am doing it just as a precaution. Silly enough, different dealer across town tried to push a fuel system flush and diff fluid change (front and rear) on me when I brought it in for a battery replacement (warranty). I agree with folks that said you shouldn't have to double check what's needed and what's not when you take your vehicle in for service. They claimed to do it once a year too, which means as per their recommendations, you'd have like $2k a year in service after all their BS.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My brother is a mechanic for GM and I had pinged him before writing this. He finally got back to me and said a lot of dealers create their own maintenance packages to help drum up business and bring in more money, but it is never necessary. Such a scummy practice.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
My brother is a mechanic for GM and I had pinged him before writing this. He finally got back to me and said a lot of dealers create their own maintenance packages to help drum up business and bring in more money, but it is never necessary. Such a scummy practice.
Yeah, total sketch. Should not even be legal as it's done in a manner that disguises it from sounding like it's their recommendation vs manufacturer.
Sponsored