12 volt access in cargo area

Slow your roll

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Does anyone know how to access the wiring that feeds the 12v plug in the cargo area of the JLU? I’d like to tap into it to add a switch to control LED lights.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Does anyone know how to access the wiring that feeds the 12v plug in the cargo area of the JLU? I’d like to tap into it to add a switch to control LED lights.
Just pull the side panel off, splice into the wires, and run the wires to the front, under the carpet, or along the side floor plastics. Then add a switch or toggle wherever. Easy to do, ive done this with several vehicles, in the past. Same theory. No diagrams needed. Now, if you decide to go the fuse box route, that's a little more difficult. I prefer running straight from the battery post, for the ease of it. Not the cleanest, but the easiest, and you always have power. I also like lighted switches, so you wont forget the accessories are turned on.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP

Slow your roll

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Thanks. I’ll give that a try. I wasn’t sure about pulling the rear panel. Brand new JL and I was just a little gun shy.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Especially if you don't want to futz around, just get a splitter, and put on the end of wires that powers your lights a 12 volt male end.

e.g. https://www.ebay.com/i/163201721367?chn=ps&var=462390875458

Note: by factory default this plug is always energized, rig on or off. In your owner's manual it shows how you can move a fuse in the PDC (power distribution center) to change its behavior to operate only when the rig is on, like the same plug in the front lower center of the console--if needed.

larrynjean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
I pulled out that lighter socket when I tapped into it for the 12 volt power for my trailer wiring...I did not pull the panel off...If you look inside the lighter socket you will see two square hole directly opposite each other...I have a special pair of pliers the have two tits sticking out both sides that fit perfectly into the two square holes...Insert plier tips into square holes and pull straight out and presto, the socket and wiring pulls out.

The only thing that holds the lighter socket in the panes is a plastic/rubber grommet...

Sponsored

MattC

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE JLU Willys
I pulled out that lighter socket when I tapped into it for the 12 volt power for my trailer wiring...I did not pull the panel off...If you look inside the lighter socket you will see two square hole directly opposite each other...I have a special pair of pliers the have two tits sticking out both sides that fit perfectly into the two square holes...Insert plier tips into square holes and pull straight out and presto, the socket and wiring pulls out.

The only thing that holds the lighter socket in the panes is a plastic/rubber grommet...
Can you please share a picture of the pliers or more how to pics? Thanks!
Sponsored