101 Course at Rausch Creek 11/7/20

jeepable

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S White
I just signed up for Off Road Consulting 101 course at Rausch Creek on 11/7. Is anyone else going? Does anyone who has already been have any advice for what to bring/what to expect? -Thanks!
Sponsored

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just signed up for Off Road Consulting 101 course at Rausch Creek on 11/7. Is anyone else going? Does anyone who has already been have any advice for what to bring/what to expect? -Thanks!
I did the 101 course with them at Rausch back in 2017. Well worth it if you've never really done the off road thing before. You'll likely be surprised at how capable a stock wrangler is. It's a long, slow day with a ton of instruction. Kyle is extremely knowledgeable so pick his brain. It's definitely worth the cost to get an idea of how the different functions on your jeep work (brake lock differential, lockers/limited slip). You'll likely do the first half of the day at street pressure and air down for the 2nd half of the day to better understand how less air = more comfort and more traction.

OP
OP
jeepable

jeepable

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S White
Thanks for the information. Do I need to bring my own compressor to air back up at the end?

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the information. Do I need to bring my own compressor to air back up at the end?
I may do that one. We did the green guided at RC last Saturday. Too much fun and harder than the same at Anthrocite. I was just worried that the 101 might be too basic, not that I have a ton of experience but I know some things from years of playing in the dirt. Never rock crawling. You do not need a air compressor. There is a long line of them and it goes fast.

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
No need for your own air up equipment. The line will move relatively quickly so long as people are just airing up and not ducking around with other stuff they can do in the parking lot (IE reconnecting sway bars).

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
After shot. Ready for washing. My rear plastic bumper took a hit and is anlittle loose . May swap out for an aftermarket steel
Jeep Wrangler JL 101 Course at Rausch Creek 11/7/20 DCD2B60E-4823-4148-8032-090AEA62DA8B
Jeep Wrangler JL 101 Course at Rausch Creek 11/7/20 2B6F56D9-AFB8-4894-8ABA-70D5C8117B8F

Skimdiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon Unlimited
I'm signing up for this on 11/7. Look forward to seeing some forum folks there.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I took the 101 with my son on 10/3 at Rausch Creek. It was excellent! First time offroader here, and I was really impressed with Kyle's explanation of different concepts like airing down, and teaching about swaybar disconnects, hill descent, BLD, lockers, etc. It definitely helped to boost my confidence in what the Jeep (and I) would be comfortable doing in the future.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Serious question... Should I expect Jeep damage from this course? Do I need to prep my wife that her baby might get scratched?

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Serious question... Should I expect Jeep damage from this course? Do I need to prep my wife that her baby might get scratched?
Some of the brush comes in ~a little~ close, but I did not notice any major scratches on the exterior after the trip. My son reached out the window in a few places just to push some branches out of the way. I did not catch anything on the bottom, but I have a 2-door Sport with Rubicon springs, shocks, and wheels/tires. There was a stock Gladiator Sport on the trail with us, he dragged in a few spaces but I don't believe suffered any real damage underneath. I think the short wheelbase and extra height definitely helped us out.

Sponsored

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You may scrape underneath in a couple places. I wouldn’t expect damage - just a scrape here and there on a skid plate, maybe minor rock rash on a wheel, and maybe some pinstriping depending on where he takes you. Some of the greens on the northeast have a little overgrowth. It’s a Jeep though - it’ll be perfectly fine.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Some of the brush comes in ~a little~ close, but I did not notice any major scratches on the exterior after the trip. My son reached out the window in a few places just to push some branches out of the way. I did not catch anything on the bottom, but I have a 2-door Sport with Rubicon springs, shocks, and wheels/tires. There was a stock Gladiator Sport on the trail with us, he dragged in a few spaces but I don't believe suffered any real damage underneath. I think the short wheelbase and extra height definitely helped us out.
You may scrape underneath in a couple places. I wouldn’t expect damage - just a scrape here and there on a skid plate, maybe minor rock rash on a wheel, and maybe some pinstriping depending on where he takes you. Some of the greens on the northeast have a little overgrowth. It’s a Jeep though - it’ll be perfectly fine.
Thanks! Doesn't sound too bad.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I did the 101 course at AOAA sometime around March or April, pre-Covid. I just did the 201 course this weekend at Rausch. I enjoyed both of them a lot, gives you an idea what to expect on the trail, and they do a good job of building your confidence in seeing what the Jeep can do. Depending on how many people sign up, they will split the students into 2 different groups, so you don't get backed up on the trails, I want to say may 101 group had about 7-8 vehicles, and the 201 group had around 12. They also provide a handheld radio so they can talk through situations to people. Both classes I did had a range from stock older Jeeps, to built JLs. Some Toyotas, Chevys and Fords also, (but no full size trucks, those need special classes because they can be too big for the trails). As for damage, they aren't looking for anyone to damage their vehicles that they drove there. I may have gotten some minor brush scratches, but nothing I had noticed yet. I did bump on one or two rocks during the 201 class, drove home fine. It would be hard for them to get repeat business or referrals if people kept on damaging their $50k vehicles during the classes. During the 201 class Kyle stressed taking lines you feel comfortable with, and not the one the person in front of you did. There were a couple of nice builds more capable than my stock Rubi in my group, I couldn't have done the same path they did, but we did the same trails. AOAA had 4 air lines when I was there, I think Rausch Creek had 6. As long as people aired up and moved the lines went quick, but sometimes people would hang out in the air up spots. Days started around 8:30am and finished up around 3-3:30 pm.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Oh yeah, bring a lunch. I think AOAA served food at the time, unsure if they still do. Rausch did not when I was there. Show up with at least half a tank of gas.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The 101 is a lot of fun, and you will learn a lot. Both Kyle and Peter are fantastic instructors.

You do not need to bring anything except a well functioning Jeep with 4-low. Make sure tires are in good condition. Dress warm - can get chilly especially in November.

RCORP has air-up stations so don't need a compressor; but they do get busy so if you have your own bring it along to avoid the wait.

You will learn as much as the effort you put into the class.
Sponsored