Sponsored

$1000-2000 to invest...what to do first?

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I would invest it an index based mutual fund, but I think you idea of investing is different than mine :)
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I would invest it an index based mutual fund, but I think you idea of investing is different than mine :)
Just so you know, your kids will never say, "Remember when dad invested another $1000 in to an index based mutual fund."

Mind you I am not saying don't invest money. I am all for that. I also believe in investing in kids. My kids..... They are in their late twenties and early thirties, say things like, "Remember when dad took us ATVing at Windrock and on the Hatfield & McCoy trails when were younger or Jumping off the Pirate ship in in the Caribbean?"

It is a balancing act. Invest in tomorrow but don't forget to live today. There are somethings that are way more fun when you are 20 vs when you are 60.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
My kids might when it means I retire early or they get a bigger inheritance.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Just so you know, your kids will never say, "Remember when dad invested another $1000 in to an index based mutual fund."
I tell my son this

'The more money I have, the more you will benefit'

I believe this to be true. I agree with you it is a balance.

OP
OP
Buckzona

Buckzona

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
LOL! Not Bragging, but I did retire a little early and am spending their inheritance ( some of it at least). And you know what, they are fine with that as they and the grandsons get to go with me when explore!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Buckzona

Buckzona

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
Hey...gotta invest for your future...been doing it for 40 years. Just tweaking the strategy & goals a bit!

coldstart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps are shit. Like their owners.
Occupation
Space Cadet
Hi all. I'm fairly new to the off-road world and recently bought a 2021 JLUR with the 2.0L engine. I installed the Mopar 2" lift and have 35" Falken MT tires. I'm wondering what other Rubicon owners would do first if they had another $1,000 or $2,000 to invest. So many options! I plan on doing trails in Arizona (such as Schnebly Hill Road & Broken Arrow which I've already done) and possibly Moab in 2021. I appreciate your thoughts and guidance!

PXL_20210113_005536153.jpg
Here I thought you wanted to invest money for earnings. :( Instead you want to burn money on a depreciating asset.

God marketing people have a handle on the mind of so many from an age so young.

Invest: expend money with the expectation of achieving a profit.
Spend: pay out (money) in buying goods or services.
Profit: a financial gain, especially the difference between the amount earned and the amount invested.

Peeves:
--Store: Save $5 on this t-shirt.
--Reality: SPEND $5 less on this t-shirt.
Saving would be a net increase of $5 to your amount of cash on hand not a net decrease of $5 less had you paid (spent) full asking price.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to blow some money on a couple of accessories, but one's I'll use. Bike rack, phone holder, cargo mats, and some door sill guards and a fun tire cover.

I'll see myself out now, thanks for listening to my financial rant. ;)

OP
OP
Buckzona

Buckzona

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
Here I thought you wanted to invest money for earnings. :( Instead you want to burn money on a depreciating asset.

God marketing people have a handle on the mind of so many from an age so young.

Invest: expend money with the expectation of achieving a profit.
Spend: pay out (money) in buying goods or services.
Profit: a financial gain, especially the difference between the amount earned and the amount invested.

Peeves:
--Store: Save $5 on this t-shirt.
--Reality: SPEND $5 less on this t-shirt.
Saving would be a net increase of $5 to your amount of cash on hand not a net decrease of $5 less had you paid (spent) full asking price.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to blow some money on a couple of accessories, but one's I'll use. Bike rack, phone holder, cargo mats, and some door sill guards and a fun tire cover.

I'll see myself out now, thanks for listening to my financial rant. ;)
No problem. I assumed that using "invest" would have some questioning the post. But I define "profit" mostly the same as you, but I and my family also "profit" by being able to spend some high quality time together doing something we all enjoy! Enhancing our Rubicon helps enhance our experiences together. To me, that is an investment in my family! Thanks for hearing me out as well.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I retired on my 51st birthday and have been retired for 2 1/2 years and not spent any of my investments. I found that if you raise your kids right, and teach them how to be financially independent, it will not matter nor will they care if you plan to pass on an inheritance to them. I plan to leave each one of my kids a good chunk, yet they both invest into their own retirement and make no plans on having my money as an part of their investment strategy.

I think if I asked them what they would rather have, an awesome fun time growing up with their dad or their dad leaving them money upon his death hopefully when I am much older than I am know, they would both opt for the awesome time with their dad as they are and was raised to be independent.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
No problem. I assumed that using "invest" would have some questioning the post. But I define "profit" mostly the same as you, but I and my family also "profit" by being able to spend some high quality time together doing something we all enjoy! Enhancing our Rubicon helps enhance our experiences together. To me, that is an investment in my family! Thanks for hearing me out as well.
Investing in your family is never a bad idea. My boys are in their late twenties and early thirties. They call and talk to me several times a week. While they live all over the world, we still travel or they travel so we can see each other. There is nothing cooler than a 30 year old son that just call because they have 5 minutes to bullshit and you are the one they call.

As a parent, I can say something that very few parents can say. My kids have not borrowed any money from me since they were 10 years old. NOT a penny. Never a call of hey, I can't make my rent, or pay my cell phone bill. Not one time. I paid them an allowance and they learned how to manage their money as a child. I thought them the value of a dollar early in life and it has stuck with them into adulthood. It is funny, I try and give the kids stuff and they always want to buy it from me to point it is silly. Heck I tried to give my oldest son a gun and ammo for said gun, and he wanted to just buy it from me. It was something that he was looking at buying and I had one that I had not shot in ten or so years and wanted to just give it to him and it was like pulling teeth to get him to take it home with him at Christmas when he visited. I had to explain to him, take it now or when I am dead, either way, you will end up with it. The silly thing was he was looking to buy the exact gun.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Lol I love all the financial advisors here. It’s 2 grand, cut him a break. He probably has some extra burn money from his stimulus checks or something, who knows, but it’s his business. I’m sure he knows what the definition of “invest” is. There’s a positive to him asking about $1-2K to put towards his Jeep... it means that he has determined a budgeted amount and it sounds like he’s going to stick to that. The fact that he’s budgeting that amount before he spends the money is a great financial decision.

If it were me, OP, I’d spend all that on protection mods. Id make sure I’m happy with side steps/sliders, floor mats, skid plates, bumpers, PPF on the grill and hood. Depending on which brands you go with, prices can get up there. I’d use the rest towards spending on trips and having fun with the Jeep!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I consider putting money into my Jeep so my family and I can get out and enjoy the world like relatively few others an investment into living and well-being.
That's not an investment, that is just spending. Don't pretend it's something it isn't.

Spend it on gas, take a trip.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Whenever a car salesman starts talking about my “investment,” what it really says to me is I have to take what he says with a grain if salt.

In Jeep circles, “investing” is a self-justifying way of saying “Just Empty Every Pocket.”

If you really wanna “invest” just buy an IRA.

Last edited:

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I've driven my Stock JLUR all over Colorado and never needed anything more. If I were to own it long term, I would probably buy some sliders that stuck out to keep rocks away.

Don’t go blowing money before you even know what you like to do with it.
Sponsored