Sponsored

100 mile review

Landog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Willys 2 Door
First off, thanks for the tire pressure tip. I reduced to about 37psi and I have noticed a marked improvement. Also, I read somewhere in this forum to check the fuse box and make sure they are properly seated. As I was removing the cover thinking this is a waste of time. But I was shocked at how many of the fuses were not seated properly. As I pushed on each one I bet 40% I could feel it click as it set in. What a great tip!
I think it's hit or miss with the fuses. I had read that also, so it was the 1st thing I checked when I got home. All the fuses and relays were A-ok.

Good thing you checked though. Probably saved yourself a few unnecessary headaches.
Sponsored

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
Picked up my 2021 Willys a few days ago so here is my first 100 mile review. What’s with the crazy steering, very loser-goosey. Keep in mind that I am comparing it to my 2019 Ridgeline which is basically a Honda Pilot with a truck bed. Anyway, the steering takes some getting use to and everyone tells me it’s a Jeep thing (whatever that means). But, at 100 miles I’m starting to get use to it. Having trouble with where to rest my left foot. May sound weird but I’ll get use to that too. I am pleasantly surprised at how it rides and how quiet it is. I have the one touch sky roof and it is pretty quiet, even compared to the Honda. I absolutely love the sound system, it is the best that I have ever had and I’m old so I’ve had a lot of different systems, I drive around just to listen to my oldies. Couple of purchases: I’ve installed seat covers for front (because we have a dog). Easy install and they are nice and snug. I give them 5 stars.(https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CY842V4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Also purchased an IPhone mount that fits perfectly on the left center side of the dash. I too give it 5 stars, I had this on the Honda. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SS1WTPD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I’m a big guy 6’3” 220 so seating a little tight but I’m comfortable, but will see how it is on a long trip. Don’t want to make this too long but so far I’m loving it. BTW the Jeep wave-I’m not doing very well. Weather may be a factor (gray, cold and ugly) but I’m only getting about a 30% wave back.

E1892E14-531E-46AC-9AAC-C7CEEA15154C.jpeg
Check with your dealer there is a TSB on the steering I just had my box replaced when I complained about it handling like my CJ 5..

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Check with your dealer there is a TSB on the steering I just had my box replaced when I complained about it handling like my CJ 5..
All 2021's come with the new upgraded box. Not holding up production at the Jeep plant is why dealers are restricted to one set of tsb parts every 14 days.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I thought the willys had a Rubicon suspension. I could be wrong and I am sure someone will chime in to correct me. If correct, the Mopar lower control arms are a quick cheap improvement. They will increase the caster that is non adjustable in the jeep and help it track better.

I see you have never driven a YJ.......

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
All 2021's come with the new upgraded box. Not holding up production at the Jeep plant is why dealers are restricted to one set of tsb parts every 14 days.
I’d still check a bud of mine had a 21 that had the questionable box and they did the tsb.

Sponsored

Beebe Senior

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
2021 JLUR here picked up Dec 31. Air pressure was at 42, dropped to 37, 38 range, and have had no issues with steering. I took the fuse box lid off at the dealership in front of the salesman and 60% required seating.

Orangecrush9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys JLU
Picked up my JLU Willys 2 weeks ago. Agree with most of what you experienced. Only pertinent things that come to mind (for my experience)...fuses were all pushed down (good)...I had about 41 psi at delivery. Aired that down to 37, and it really rides great. I can take my hand off the wheel on a straight stretch of highway and it rides straight for quite awhile before i have to "center" it again. Stock MT Tires ride great in the snow (got 2 feet last week) and the Willys feels more "at-home" off the pavement. Tires and hardtop are much quieter than anticipated.

I did have my rearview camera just stop working randomly. Researched some threads here, did the hard reset on the 8.4" screen and everything was fine again ::shrugs:: As for the alpine system, it's pretty good, but I still think I would upgrade the front corner speakers on the dash as I don't hear a lot of power coming out of them. Installing a headliner should help the acoustics a little. I don't think most people will think too much about this "issue"; I just happen to be more on the audiophile side of things and always think about what the sound "could" be. This is entertainment though, and not really a "Jeep" issue.

2.0L engine has some good oomph in lower gears. Takes a bit more than I'm used to with sedan driving to get to highway speeds, but it's a vehicle that definitely rides as more of a cruiser than something you want to put the pedal to the metal with.

Love my Willys so far!

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
The dead pedal is worth it.

NOTE: It helps if you're a Little Person or perhaps an Olympic gymnast.

It's not complicated to get the M.O.R.E. pedal in there. It would just be better if we had tentacles instead of hands.

Have the suicide hotline on speed dial. If that nut falls off the bracket bolt, grab that phone! IT GETS BETTER!
Agreed! I think Quadratec has one now that is easier to install.

Beebe Senior

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Picked up my JLU Willys 2 weeks ago. Agree with most of what you experienced. Only pertinent things that come to mind (for my experience)...fuses were all pushed down (good)...I had about 41 psi at delivery. Aired that down to 37, and it really rides great. I can take my hand off the wheel on a straight stretch of highway and it rides straight for quite awhile before i have to "center" it again. Stock MT Tires ride great in the snow (got 2 feet last week) and the Willys feels more "at-home" off the pavement. Tires and hardtop are much quieter than anticipated.

I did have my rearview camera just stop working randomly. Researched some threads here, did the hard reset on the 8.4" screen and everything was fine again ::shrugs:: As for the alpine system, it's pretty good, but I still think I would upgrade the front corner speakers on the dash as I don't hear a lot of power coming out of them. Installing a headliner should help the acoustics a little. I don't think most people will think too much about this "issue"; I just happen to be more on the audiophile side of things and always think about what the sound "could" be. This is entertainment though, and not really a "Jeep" issue.

2.0L engine has some good oomph in lower gears. Takes a bit more than I'm used to with sedan driving to get to highway speeds, but it's a vehicle that definitely rides as more of a cruiser than something you want to put the pedal to the metal with.

Love my Willys so far!
I am not sure it might be just a coincidence but, my camera went out 4 times in the first 2000 miles. Resets with the volume/tune button push trick. I have noticed it goes out if I try to go before the radio/uconnect has finished its initial booting on startup. If I wait until it finishes, the reverse camera works fine. Not sure if this is a thing but it might help.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Picked up my JLU Willys 2 weeks ago.

I still think I would upgrade the front corner speakers on the dash as I don't hear a lot of power coming out of them.

I don't think most people will think too much about this "issue"; I just happen to be more on the audiophile side of things and always think about what the sound "could" be.
Congrats on the new Willys, sorta-neighbor. :)

Oddly enough, I upgraded the corner speakers because I'm not an audiophile. I figured that if I was able to notice the dullness of the factory speakers, they were truly bad.

I installed a pair of Infinity Reference speakers (not without a few teething pains), and am really impressed with the improvement in sound quality.

Sponsored

Orangecrush9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys JLU
Congrats on the new Willys, sorta-neighbor. :)

Oddly enough, I upgraded the corner speakers because I'm not an audiophile. I figured that if I was able to notice the dullness of the factory speakers, they were truly bad.

I installed a pair of Infinity Reference speakers (not without a few teething pains), and am really impressed with the improvement in sound quality.
Thanks for this rec. I'm finishing up my week of nightshift work and starting my week off tomorrow. Might make this a project and install a headliner while I'm at it.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Some of you might get a chuckle from this anecdote.

Thinking I had an inner ear infection, I mentioned this at a recent routine appt. with my family doctor. It was quickly determined that I simply had a prolonged accumulation of wax in both ear canals, and that a bilateral irrigation was indicated.

The "flush", as staff referred to it, felt quite unnatural, but it otherwise wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. The blockages were fairly significant. The nurse was great, and made the whole thing easier to get through.

On the drive home, I quickly discovered that I was now quite sensitive to speaker volume, and that the new Infinitys in particular sounded much fuller.

I'm also not asking Mrs. H to repeat what she said nearly as frequently. This means I hear everything she says. I'm still working out if that's a good thing... :LOL: :LOL:
Sponsored