Sponsored

j_stew762

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
As the title reads, we just returned from a week long trip (July 19 - July 26) to Colorado, where we used a cabin in Fairplay as our basecamp.

It was 3 generations of boys on both sides between myself and my in-laws (Brother in law and I are close to 40, with our boys 8yo and only 3 months apart, with both our dads close in age).

Between his JK, his 4 dr razor, and my JL we cruised Browns/Breckneck Pass behind the cabin. We took Boreas Pass to Breckenridge, then down to Blue Lakes Waterfall. We took Weston Pass over to Leadville, and we took Tincup Pass out of St. Elmo up to Taylor Lake Res. We took Peerless Mine trail up to the trailhead for Mt. Sherman. We traveled portions of Aspen Ridge to Bald Mountain and back of Little Cottonwood to Rt. 185.

We even walked through the South Park Museum in downtown Fairplay. It was a great trip, and if my math is correct we logged over 650 miles while there.

A few things we heard about/saw while we were there that we’d like to try on the next trip is a train ride through the mountains, a guided fly fishing day, and maybe a day on a canoe. We want to make it an annual trip, but maybe mixed it up a bit. We’re thinking about following the rockies but going north into Wyoming or Montana. We love the trail riding and site seeing, but it was quite dusty while we were there. Both Jeeps came home and needed a good 8-10hrs worth of cleaning and I’m sure I have dust in interior crevasses I havent got to.

Any suggestions on locations in Wyoming/Montana/Idaho?

IMG_6626.jpeg

IMG_6691.jpeg

IMG_2787.jpeg

IMG_6717.jpeg

IMG_6740.jpeg

IMG_6760.jpeg

IMG_6786.jpeg
Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
My parents used to live in Jefferson about 16 miles away. My dad taught in Fairplay after retiring as a ranch manager and moving to Como (9 miles away), very familiar with that area. It's absolutely beautiful there! I really miss it. Glad you guys got to explore and have fun, I know there are tons of trails to ride out there. Thanks for sharing!

andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Idaho rocks! The Idaho Backroads Discovery Route is very popular. I first went to Idaho in 2007. I went back in 2015 and rode around the Frank Church Wilderness. I wrote a ride report:

My Dad Rode the Six Days of Idaho and All I Got Was a T-shirt | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

I went back again in 2021 in a Jeep. I didn't write a report for this trip. We spent a week near Riggins and a week in Challis. It was fabulous! I'll share a few photos from that trip.

i-LKTQQw5-X3.jpg

i-fFJGGWg-X3.jpg

i-hNWvNKk-X3.jpg

i-wSnvZzM-X3.jpg

i-fCv2Xzh-X3.jpg

Sponsored

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Tide
Occupation
US Merchant Marine Master, 100T
Vehicle Showcase
What a great week. Pulling three generations together on both sides of the family was a challenge, I'll bet. Good selection of Jeeps. Thanks, for sharing this great family tale.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
As the title reads, we just returned from a week long trip (July 19 - July 26) to Colorado, where we used a cabin in Fairplay as our basecamp.

It was 3 generations of boys on both sides between myself and my in-laws (Brother in law and I are close to 40, with our boys 8yo and only 3 months apart, with both our dads close in age).

Between his JK, his 4 dr razor, and my JL we cruised Browns/Breckneck Pass behind the cabin. We took Boreas Pass to Breckenridge, then down to Blue Lakes Waterfall. We took Weston Pass over to Leadville, and we took Tincup Pass out of St. Elmo up to Taylor Lake Res. We took Peerless Mine trail up to the trailhead for Mt. Sherman. We traveled portions of Aspen Ridge to Bald Mountain and back of Little Cottonwood to Rt. 185.

We even walked through the South Park Museum in downtown Fairplay. It was a great trip, and if my math is correct we logged over 650 miles while there.

A few things we heard about/saw while we were there that we’d like to try on the next trip is a train ride through the mountains, a guided fly fishing day, and maybe a day on a canoe. We want to make it an annual trip, but maybe mixed it up a bit. We’re thinking about following the rockies but going north into Wyoming or Montana. We love the trail riding and site seeing, but it was quite dusty while we were there. Both Jeeps came home and needed a good 8-10hrs worth of cleaning and I’m sure I have dust in interior crevasses I havent got to.

Jeep Wrangler JL 100 mile radius of Fairplay, CO (Basecamp) with 3 generations of boys i-fCv2Xzh-X3

Jeep Wrangler JL 100 mile radius of Fairplay, CO (Basecamp) with 3 generations of boys i-fCv2Xzh-X3

That is how you make life long memories with your kids. Well done Sir. Just know that I use a leaf blower to get rid of 90% of the dust before I start cleaning.

Looks like the views were great. I may add some of your locations to my Colorado map of things and places to explore.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
These are the trips that family memories are made of! Looks like you all had a great time!

ZigZag

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR (Hellayella)
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Within 100 miles of Fairplay there are a lot of trails that you missed. But you also bagged several that I have not done. Looks like you had a great time so now I have to check those out. Thanks for posting this!

OP
OP
j_stew762

j_stew762

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD

Sponsored

OP
OP
j_stew762

j_stew762

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Idaho rocks! The Idaho Backroads Discovery Route is very popular. I first went to Idaho in 2007. I went back in 2015 and rode around the Frank Church Wilderness. I wrote a ride report:

My Dad Rode the Six Days of Idaho and All I Got Was a T-shirt | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

I went back again in 2021 in a Jeep. I didn't write a report for this trip. We spent a week near Riggins and a week in Challis. It was fabulous! I'll share a few photos from that trip.

Looks amazing. I’ll check out your ride report and this area this weekend when I get a chance to research some areas.

I spent a good amount of time researching the Fairplay trip this year to make sure it was a success, and I had been to Buena Vista once before so taking on Idaho/Wyoming/Montana without having been there will be a chore but worth it.

crux360a

First Name
Kristen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Towing and auto repair
Was this picture in Fairplay? my sister in law lives downtown Denver, and we were talking about going over to CO and having a go at some of the trails. this picture is absolutely gorgeous

OP
OP
j_stew762

j_stew762

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
What a great week. Pulling three generations together on both sides of the family was a challenge, I'll bet. Good selection of Jeeps. Thanks, for sharing this great family tale.
It wasnt that bad actually. The hardest part with it was finding a week where 6 people didn’t have anything going on.

OP
OP
j_stew762

j_stew762

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
That is how you make life long memories with your kids. Well done Sir. Just know that I use a leaf blower to get rid of 90% of the dust before I start cleaning.

Looks like the views were great. I may add some of your locations to my Colorado map of things and places to explore.
I used some compressed air once I got home to my compressor and that took care of the dust. But dang it was a lot for a guy who is very picky about the cleanliness of their vehicle.

Reach out if you want any details about the trails I listed.

OP
OP
j_stew762

j_stew762

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Within 100 miles of Fairplay there are a lot of trails that you missed. But you also bagged several that I have not done. Looks like you had a great time so now I have to check those out. Thanks for posting this!
I know, we made good use of our time though. Mosquito pass was still closed due to snow and an abandoned vehicle.
Sponsored