Sponsored

10 days old 2021 Rubicon with check engine light! Please advise!!

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Here is the update, I went to Autozone today and got to use their OBD-II. Their method is that take the OBD-II plug it in, starts the engine, let it read and then bring that gadget back to the store. They will plug it to their computer and then read the result on the screen. They asked for the year made (and went OOFFF when I said it is a 2021 Jeep :facepalm: - and asked for my VIN to determine the error, and the result is ..... "we could not find the error. The error is not in the system".

I should have ask them what was the code in the OBD-II but I didn't. I might just go back tomorrow and get the scanner and just ask them for the code itself so I could google it. My mistake.

Based on a lot of help and discussions from the forum here - it seems possible that the culprit could be a loose gas cap since many says that even if I tighten the gas cap, the CEL will not go away immediately, that it takes a day or two, or a few ignition for it to go away. I topped up my Jeep with premium gas and make sure that the gas cap is tight (well heh after a point of turning it, it just go clicking like the safety in medicine cap - I hope that is tight) and will drive it a few days and see if it go away.

If not, I think I would have to bring it back to the dealership for check up. I will stay optimistic that it is nothing serious. Thank you again for sharing your experiences and your recommendations. You are awesome!!
Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Here is the update, I went to Autozone today and got to use their OBD-II. Their method is that take the OBD-II plug it in, starts the engine, let it read and then bring that gadget back to the store. They will plug it to their computer and then read the result on the screen. They asked for the year made (and went OOFFF when I said it is a 2021 Jeep :facepalm: - and asked for my VIN to determine the error, and the result is ..... "we could not find the error. The error is not in the system".

I should have ask them what was the code in the OBD-II but I didn't. I might just go back tomorrow and get the scanner and just ask them for the code itself so I could google it. My mistake.

Based on a lot of help and discussions from the forum here - it seems possible that the culprit could be a loose gas cap since many says that even if I tighten the gas cap, the CEL will not go away immediately, that it takes a day or two, or a few ignition for it to go away. I topped up my Jeep with premium gas and make sure that the gas cap is tight (well heh after a point of turning it, it just go clicking like the safety in medicine cap - I hope that is tight) and will drive it a few days and see if it go away.

If not, I think I would have to bring it back to the dealership for check up. I will stay optimistic that it is nothing serious. Thank you again for sharing your experiences and your recommendations. You are awesome!!
You are scaring me, man. Remember in the other thread we were talking about whether my next Jeep shall be a Turbo 4 or a Pentastar and we were leaning towards the Turbo 4 since I already have a Pentastar? I am watching this thread like a hawk as this is one additional datapoint that may help me decide.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
You are scaring me, man. Remember in the other thread we were talking about whether my next Jeep shall be a Turbo 4 or a Pentastar and we were leaning towards the Turbo 4 since I already have a Pentastar? I am watching this thread like a hawk as this is one additional datapoint that may help me decide.
Hey Sardar Ji aka PNY! Here is my take on the engine after driving it over 10 days. Turbo all the way. I am serious. It is a waaaaaaay smoother ride (two of my friends say so) - way quieter and today I just torque an annoying speed racer to smithereens at a traffic light. The ESS is way quiter and it is less of a bumpy ride! I am used to the whirring noise now that I know it is not a serious thing. Ride wise - I don't think I will go back to Pentastar. My two cents :like:

Aye aye Tex!! I will bear that in mind. Thank you.

Having said that - the CEL light went away tonight!!!! Lets hope that it does not come back on. I think that the gas attendant did not screw the gas cap enough - I will make sure to screw the cap again after filling (and keep it clean like Tex said). Lets hope it does not come back.

Jeep Wrangler JL 10 days old 2021 Rubicon with check engine light! Please advise!! 64976

Jeep Wrangler JL 10 days old 2021 Rubicon with check engine light! Please advise!! 1flossgirrafe

So happy! So appreciative of everyone here! Thanks you for all your help!!!! YOU ARE THE BEST! Really really!!! :captain:

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Hey Sardar Ji aka PNY! Here is my take on the engine after driving it over 10 days. Turbo all the way. I am serious. It is a waaaaaaay smoother ride (two of my friends say so) - way quieter and today I just torque an annoying speed racer to smithereens at a traffic light. The ESS is way quiter and it is less of a bumpy ride! I am used to the whirring noise now that I know it is not a serious thing. Ride wise - I don't think I will go back to Pentastar. My two cents :like:

Aye aye Tex!! I will bear that in mind. Thank you.

Having said that - the CEL light went away tonight!!!! Lets hope that it does not come back on. I think that the gas attendant did not screw the gas cap enough - I will make sure to screw the cap again after filling (and keep it clean like Tex said). Lets hope it does not come back.

Jeep Wrangler JL 10 days old 2021 Rubicon with check engine light! Please advise!! 1flossgirrafe

So happy! So appreciative of everyone here! Thanks you for all your help!!!! YOU ARE THE BEST! Really really!!! :captain:
Ok....then it was just a gas cap.....it’s certainly compelling for me when an ex Pentastar owner has jumped to the Turbo Band Wagon. Maybe I will do the same after this Pandemic lifts....let us see??!

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
Jersey one of the few places that you can't make a left or pump your own Fuel......Not even in a Semi

Glad it was something simple.

Love the Calvin and Hobbs

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Jersey one of the few places that you can't make a left or pump your own Fuel......Not even in a Semi
That sounds fantastic right now, when I don't wanna get out of my car and touch a gas pump. XD
Sponsored