Sponsored

1 year complete, can I reuse Sirius XM GPS unit myself and where's sim/esim?

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Hello all,
My Sirius XM is about to expire. I have never used it. I do think the GPS is good to use though. Is there any way to reuse the existing GPS unit just checking locations randomly? Or is there any alternative apps (not Sirius XM Guardian).

Does anyone know if JLU use a physical SIM card or e-sim? I've got a cheap data SIM card like $5 per month unlimited, and I'd like to insert it for hotspot/wifi instead of getting ripped off by ATT.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The GPS is built into the head units with navigation. It has nothing to do with Sirius. It will still work after your subscription runs out. Sim card is not user accesible.

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
The GPS is built into the head units with navigation. It has nothing to do with Sirius. It will still work after your subscription runs out. Sim card is not user accesible.
is there any other apps similar to Sirius XM thats more functional and cheaper?

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
That use the Sirius Sat radio network? Doubtful. They tend to make that pretty proprietary.
No, I mean the GPS unit. You said it is nothing to do with Sirius. Any other apps use it?

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
If all your looking for is the maps with GPS, you can link your phone to the head unit and display most any mapping program.

I use Waze and sometimes Google Maps with my Android phone. The hardcore off-road guys have apps with trails as well.

I can't recall the last time I used the built-in nav system.

acomputernerd

First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
NERD
The only thing you loose is the guardian service that you were probably not using in the first place. This is the app that let you unlock and lock remotely on a phone. You will start to get the update GPS map spam emails as well, I just ignore them.
You do have XM traffic with the built in for 5 years since activated and the gas and weather app that you probably are not using as well.
The built in GPS apps are stored on the unit and do not change unless you pay for the update.

Hope that helps, mine expired in March

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I was thinking more of a real-time location tracker. Since the GPS unit is ready, other apps should be able to grab its info.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I was thinking more of a real-time location tracker. Since the GPS unit is ready, other apps should be able to grab its info.
No, it's Jeeps software. No other apps access it. I personally prefer Android Auto with Waze but that has nothing to do with built in NAV.

Last edited:

arelem

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
No, I mean the GPS unit. You said it is nothing to do with Sirius. Any other apps use it?
The Garmin GPS application built in to the head unit will still use the GPS signal for navigation. I've never heard of a third party app that can access the GPS signal. Your best bet is to use CarPlay or Android Auto and your phone for third party apps. They will not be able to access the GPS signal, they would use the GPS electronics in your phone.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The head unit may have GPS but you can't install any 3rd party apps on the head unit. Like any vehicle, the onboard Nav app isn't particularly good either. It's no big deal, your phone has GPS and you can install whatever 3rd party Nav app you want. Use CarPlay or Android Auto to display it on the screen.

I use Waze for on-road and Gaia Maps for off-road. But if you like another Nav app more go right ahead and use it.

If you want a real time location tracker, get one for the phone. If you're thinking stolen vehicle tracker, get a separate 3rd party tracker that's ideally on a separate battery. You don't want thieves to know its there or for it to be disabled when the battery is disconnected. A cheap solution is get an old phone, put a real-time tracker on it and hide it somewhere connected to an always on USB charger.

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Have any guys used this app? KeyConnect Digital Car Key. It does similar to Uconnect/Sirius Gardian. it has good review, not sure if it is working well.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
I'm not sure what the objective is here. The GPS will work exactly the same now as it will several years from now. Other than maybe getting a map update every few years there's no real need to do anything or use another service. You can use other services like Waze if you want to coordinate with others on things like spotting cops, construction, disabled vehicles, etc... Other than that, your GPS is just fine as is. Everything else will either be a whole separate unit, or apps that use your phones connection.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Have any guys used this app? KeyConnect Digital Car Key. It does similar to Uconnect/Sirius Gardian. it has good review, not sure if it is working well.
Their website says that you have to have a "connected service account" so I'm guessing that you'd need a Sirius Guardian account for the app to function.

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Their website says that you have to have a "connected service account" so I'm guessing that you'd need a Sirius Guardian account for the app to function.
That's where my question is. If Sirius is required to use those hardware for remote app controls.
Sponsored