CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Hey all,

Looking to either add spring spacers after a winch. Not sure the route I would like to take. I’m leaning more towards a 1.5in spacer set up front, and then a 1in spacer in the rear versus the teraflex 2in/1.5in combo.

Realistically though, do you need bump stop extensions for either set up front or rear for coil bind?
Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Hey all,

Looking to either add spring spacers after a winch. Not sure the route I would like to take. I’m leaning more towards a 1.5in spacer set up front, and then a 1in spacer in the rear versus the teraflex 2in/1.5in combo.

Realistically though, do you need bump stop extensions for either set up front or rear for coil bind?
Is your Jeep a Sport, Willys, Sahara or Rubicon?

Depends on what size tire you are running and what shocks?

I added slightly longer bump stops to my lightly modified TeraFlex 2” spacer lift because I added longer travel shock. The longer bump stops keep the shocks from “topping out” and damaging them at full up flex.

This is my JLUR with 2” lift on 35” MickeyThompson Boss At tires. The shocks are Falcon 2 but for a 2-3 lift.
68547918-1A4D-43CB-9058-88FEAE6A32B9.jpeg

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
x2

Only need bumps to clear tires or if the compressed length of your shocks is more than ~16.25" (Front)

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0

I added slightly longer bump stops to my lightly modified TeraFlex 2” spacer lift because I added longer travel shock. The longer bump stops keep the shocks from “topping out” and damaging them at full up flex.

This is my JLUR with 2” lift on 35” MickeyThompson Boss At tires. The shocks are Falcon 2 but for a 2-3 lift.
Jeep Wrangler JL 1.5in or 2in spacers… Bumpstops needed? 68547918-1A4D-43CB-9058-88FEAE6A32B9
So far, I’m running rubi springs, and will decide when rubi xr springs start popping up for sale. But I’m planning on running rough country vertex shocks, and the 2-3” version is similar in compressed and extended lengths as most 0-1.5” shocks.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I’m planning on running rough country vertex shocks, and the 2-3” version is similar in compressed and extended lengths as most 0-1.5” shocks.
For real? You're gonna put $1500 of shocks on with only 26" of extended length? I get the remote reservoir's look fancy and all, but what are you tackling in MIA that would make that worth it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
For real? You're gonna put $1500 of shocks on with only 26" of extended length? I get the remote reservoir's look fancy and all, but what are you tackling in MIA that would make that worth it?
It’s not a dire NEED. Especially in miami. Nothing but flat roads here. But it would be nice to bottom out less and have adjustability really. It’s more of a want to have versus a need.

trippnk

First Name
Kendal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray JLUR 2.0L

Jeep Wrangler JL 1.5in or 2in spacers… Bumpstops needed? 68547918-1A4D-43CB-9058-88FEAE6A32B9
If you could please, what is your bump stop setup with the leveling kit and longer shocks? I got a steal on those shocks and am currently running the leveling kit with 35's.

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Longer bumps stop are needed for longer travel shocks which have a longer compressed length and/or are needed to keep tires from running into the fender when cycling.

Topping out a shock is usually referring to a shock completely extended, bottoming out is for fully compressed. Bump stops do not affect the shock from topping out/fully extended. They would however aid in keeping shocks from bottoming out before the bump stops do.

x2 with "Only need bumps to clear tires or if the compressed length of your shocks is more than ~16.25" (Front)"

trippnk

First Name
Kendal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray JLUR 2.0L
So just to make sure I'm understanding "topping out" shouldn't hurt the shock at all but could maybe cause my spring to drop ...

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
So just to make sure I'm understanding "topping out" shouldn't hurt the shock at all but could maybe cause my spring to drop ...
more or less that is correct. Topping out a shock in theory can damage the shock if its done too often or too violently (at speed). Some shocks like Fox and King will have an internal rubber top out bumper built in (see picture attached). For most, this is not an issue for normal trail wheeling. Aggressing fast off-road driving usually need limit straps to keep the shocks from topping out often. Also Jeeps with heavy 1 ton axles can put a lot of force on that shock at full droop. For Jeeps and other OEM vehicles there is more going on that will soften the shock when topping out, like sway bar and control arm joints etc. Not very common for a shock to get pulled apart from basic trail wheeling and flexing out.

Yes, if a shock is too long, the spring can come loose. Usually a good idea to not let that happen

Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 4.04.59 PM.png

Sponsored

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I'm wondering this myself, thinking about the Teraflex 1.5" ST1 on my JLUR to offset the weight/sag of the bumper/winch and to eventually move to 35's. If I don't plan on swapping out shocks for now, but will probably add 35's to it, should I go ahead and replace the bump stops as well? I do off-road it, but mostly moderate trails (Uwharrie, NC mountains, etc.)

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'm wondering this myself, thinking about the Teraflex 1.5" ST1 on my JLUR to offset the weight/sag of the bumper/winch and to eventually move to 35's. If I don't plan on swapping out shocks for now, but will probably add 35's to it, should I go ahead and replace the bump stops as well? I do off-road it, but mostly moderate trails (Uwharrie, NC mountains, etc.)
I'd wait and see if you get any rubbing after the tire swap. I try to maximize my uptravel and only bump stop as much as necessary. I'll even tolerate the slightest bit of fender rub at full stuff to make sure if I hit a speed bump at speed I have as much room as possible for the suspension to work.
Sponsored