Sponsored

1,500 miles and needed new transmission!!

OP
OP
JacksonHole4X4

JacksonHole4X4

First Name
@JH4X4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Lemon law isn't triggered by one failure. A lemon is defined by having multiple failures. How many varies by state. A bad tranny doesn't make it a lemon.

I'm not sure Jeep would be set up to have remanufactured transmissions on the JL yet. I also don't know if they'd do that on one with only 1500 miles. That said, sometimes reman units have longer warranties. I just put a Ford factory remanufactured Ecoboost engine in my 2015 Transit. A new one would have been $2000 more, and the warranty is 3 years, 60,000 miles. The Ford reman warranty is 3 years, unlimited mileage. I went with the reman. After 10k miles, it runs just like the original did, when it was new. (The original was fine, but was destroyed by an oil change shop that didn't install the filter correctly. It puked all its oil and grenaded.)
correct, Each state has different rules for Lemon, but I will be adding up the totals for a Lemon.
enjoy ..
Sponsored

gschones

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
JLU Rubicon has been into Dealership with Transmission/ engine light issue.
Dealer re flashed Transmission and said good to go.
Next day Jeep would not engage into gear. move transfer case from 2H to 4H back to 2H drove to Dealer.
Received call next Day and the are being shipped a new transmission.
Not feeling very comfortable with this vehicle in the Wyoming Back Country without cell phone coverge.
Feeling more Mall Rated than Trail Rated for this "NEW" Rubicon.
I think a buy back is in order to make it right.

View attachment 44559

IMG_2593.jpg
I had a 2012 JKU that had similar problems. They were constantly working on it. I had a case worker at Chrysler that heard from me every week. They finally got it straightened out but what a hassle. So far my JLU has been everything that it is cracked up to be. hang in there.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I had a Jeep Liberty blow its auto trans at 7,500 miles. After fighting with them to replace it under warranty...they did, but said that they would not warrant the replacement. So my 36 month/36,000 mile Liberty warranty was only good until something expensive had to be replaced. I sold it within another year after developing multiple electronic ignition problems.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I had a Jeep Liberty blow its auto trans at 7,500 miles. After fighting with them to replace it under warranty...they did, but said that they would not warrant the replacement. So my 36 month/36,000 mile Liberty warranty was only good until something expensive had to be replaced. I sold it within another year after developing multiple electronic ignition problems.
That's ridiculous.

Honestly I get nervous thinking about throwing thirty grand at a company like this. Oh well.

Sponsored

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
I do not know of any manufacturer that adds warranty to parts replaced under warranty. The agreement between you and the manufacturer is for warranty "free from defects" for x months or x years or x miles. If coverage is 3 years 36000 miles and a tranny goes at 30 months 30000 miles then you have 6 months and 6000 miles of coverage left. Engine are usually an exception and do carry their own separate coverage limits.

jamotn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT500,'15 Mustang GT, '14 Juke.'12 HD,'18 Indian Scout
newer DON"T mean better!!! the tranny build is controlled by FCA $$$ + prolly built to their spec + price point!!! buyers of new designs or redesigns are Beta testers + IMO that is NOT acceptable at todays prices. i would want a buy back, but NEVER buy slush box aka any type of automatic tranny!!
That limits what you drive. Most hi-end or hi-performance rides are only autos. Faster,lighter,better. Even the Honda gold Wings are autos.

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
The 850RE is built in a FCA-owned factory that was co-built with ZF. It is based on a ZF design but does have FCA modifications to the firmware and internals in order to make it shift a bit smoother than the "real" ZF transmissions. FCA has built roughly 4 million of these ZF 8HP based transmissions -- they're behind the Pentastar in every single rear wheel drive vehicle they sell, from Chrysler 300's to RAM 1500's. They in general have a good reputation for reliability and performance, unlike the 9 speed used in the FWD vehicles which has a reputation for poor shifting.

The 6 speed manual in the JL is built by Aisin (Toyota) in Japan. No idea if it shares guts with the 6 speed manual they use in the Tacoma. Aisin in general has a good reputation for manual transmissions though, so it's likely a good transmission.

In general manual transmissions are more reliable than automatic transmissions because they have fewer critical items that can fail catastrophically. Things like bent shift forks and worn synchronizers give you plenty of warning that things are going bad, they don't just quit working. That said, both of these should in general be reliable transmissions if properly assembled at the factory and given the proper factory fill at the factory.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I do not know of any manufacturer that adds warranty to parts replaced under warranty. The agreement between you and the manufacturer is for warranty "free from defects" for x months or x years or x miles. If coverage is 3 years 36000 miles and a tranny goes at 30 months 30000 miles then you have 6 months and 6000 miles of coverage left. Engine are usually an exception and do carry their own separate coverage limits.
You didn't catch what I said...when Jeep replaced my 6 months old Liberty auto trans at 7,500 miles...they said that the replacement trans had no warranty coverage at all! At first they tried say that somehow I had blown the trans...and would not warranty cover the replacement. I appealed and asked for proof that it was my fault. Jeep refused. I went to another district manager and he had Jeep replace the trans. But Jeep would not place any warranty on the new trans! Then I began to have electronic ignition problems...engine would die at stop lights...So I traded the piece of junk in for a Chevy Pickup that ran with absolutely zero problems for over 50,000 miles.
Yes...you could argue that the 'new' transmission had to have a warranty...but I still have the letter from Jeep Detroit denying any warranty for the transmission. I dumped the Liberty before anything else had to be replaced under warranty. It was not worth fighting over.

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
I still have the letter from Jeep Detroit denying any warranty for the transmission. I dumped the Liberty before anything else had to be replaced under warranty. It was not worth fighting over.
Who owned Jeep when this happened? Daimler-Benz? Cerberus? Or the current owners, Fiat? Given that the Liberty was dumped from the Jeep lineup six years ago, clearly it's not a recent event. I've had pretty good luck under Fiat, they seem to actually care about customer service rather than the old Detroit definition of service as "what a stallion does to a mare". Both Cerberus and Daimler-Benz were more interested in extracting money from Jeep than they were in providing customer service, short term thinking in both cases.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
You didn't catch what I said...when Jeep replaced my 6 months old Liberty auto trans at 7,500 miles...they said that the replacement trans had no warranty coverage at all! At first they tried say that somehow I had blown the trans...and would not warranty cover the replacement. I appealed and asked for proof that it was my fault. Jeep refused. I went to another district manager and he had Jeep replace the trans. But Jeep would not place any warranty on the new trans! Then I began to have electronic ignition problems...engine would die at stop lights...So I traded the piece of junk in for a Chevy Pickup that ran with absolutely zero problems for over 50,000 miles.
Yes...you could argue that the 'new' transmission had to have a warranty...but I still have the letter from Jeep Detroit denying any warranty for the transmission. I dumped the Liberty before anything else had to be replaced under warranty. It was not worth fighting over.
Appalling , but they all are becoming like that . Those customers with problems are considered expendable while they cook up "desirable" features to sell to the next generation of suckers .

Good thing you woke up and didn't continue playing their game .

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I've had pretty good luck under Fiat, they seem to actually care about customer service
Yep , and the operating word is "SEEM" ; more profit will overrule everything . The most important person in a business is the accountant ; the lowest paid is the customer service . That's why I suggest to friends to Not trade in a reliable vehicle when they purchase a new one . They ought to wait until the new one is itself proved reliable . The last trusted reliable vehicle I drove was a Jeep M-151 in the Army , but that was military contract and simple design , designed by mechanics who know a thing or two .

Last edited: