Sponsored

1” or 2” spacer lift

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
Hey guys and gals. For those of you that are going to install the pro comp 2” spacer lift (and I’m guessing the rubicon expresses 2”) just thought I would share some tips. I’m not the most mechanicly inclined but I know a few things and this install wasnt that difficult. On the front end If you are by yourself I would only remove one side of the sway bar frame mounts at a time to install the spacers then move to the other side. I didn’t remove the driveshaft as the new instructions say. I was working off old ones and didn’t need have that step until later. So removing that is unnecessary. Make sure to remove the brake line from the frame mount as well as the control arms. Also remove the axle actuator plug and the clips holding the wire in place. This will allow you to lower the axle further to get the springs out. The front bumpstops are a pain to ge the bolt tightened. Unfortunately I don’t really have any tricks. On the rear the only difficult part is getting the threaded washer above the frame, for the rear spacer, tight enough to not spin. As you can see from the post above I had to work the bolt in and out a few times frist the clean the paint out of the threads. For bowman I have not drilled a new hole for the rear sway bar links. I’m not sure the rubicon express lift even mentions this so I’m not sure it’s is necessary. I may do it later but not sure. I hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
So is the Rubicon Express a level lift (eliminates stock rake) or just a straight lift?

That was the one my local shop carries and is willing to install. Are these hard to install without much experience?
I relied on the expertise of a local shop and Chris of Tankcustoms took great care of me

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
2-inch Rubicon Express Spacer Lift. Rides like a dream, and I can swap springs/shocks when I want to take things to a new level. I'm extremely happy with the outcome. Check the garage in my profile for more pics if interested.

Passenger Side - Front Angle 2.jpg
Hey man I know this is an old post I just want to ask you a question about the lift, I’m running 35’s on Borah wheels and really want to keep the JL civilized on the street, mostly daily driven family truckster, hardly any off-road. Was thinking about an AWV or TeraFlex spacer lift. Everyone keeps telling me not to do a spacer lift, any words or encouragement? I really don’t want to go any higher then a real 2.0”, Not like the Mopar advertised 2. but in reality 4”.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey man I know this is an old post I just want to ask you a question about the lift, I’m running 35’s on Borah wheels and really want to keep the JL civilized on the street, mostly daily driven family truckster, hardly any off-road. Was thinking about an AWV or TeraFlex spacer lift. Everyone keeps telling me not to do a spacer lift, any words or encouragement? I really don’t want to go any higher then a real 2.0”, Not like the Mopar advertised 2. but in reality 4”.
While I've since upgraded to a 3.5-inch Rock Krawler lift, I can tell you there's nothing wrong with a spacer lift. It rides like stock, and can handle basic off-road driving just fine. Very tame!

Compare the parts that come with the lifts you're looking at, and don't cheap out. You get what you pay for!

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
This Kit comes with no shocks but 2" longer and better than OEM shocks are needed and if going with bigger tires, a better steering stab. is a very good idea.
https://www.morris4x4center.com/tuf...MIssT-9daF5AIVAR-GCh2yBg-3EAQYAiABEgKCS_D_BwE

Theres no issue and have had none. Extended bump stops would be a good idea as well so as not to over compress the springs with extreme flex.

My Tire size=305/65 or 32" x12 under load/mounted. 295/70 would be fine also. 315/70 i would recommend 2" bump stops or add Rubicon higher flares.

This was dealer installed and on the lot modified when purchased so I don't know if they adjusted/repositioned any of the brake line supports to allow extra slack. It looks to me that they are still clipped on the LCA's i did notice the front lines are very close to being tight when the front wheels are turned all the way. They also did not add longer shocks and i pointed out it was required and got them to order the shocks I wanted (RS5000X) and i installed them myself. Since they sold me a vehicle not properly modified i did not want them touching my Jeep any more than necessary. They didn't even install the floor matts correctly! I've installed a few lift kits (CJ,YJ and TJ) over the last 30 yrs and when i looked under the Jeep when on the lot..........first thing i noticed was the OEM stock length shocks and the spacers and pointed out it was not installed correctly.

IMG_4860.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
While I've since upgraded to a 3.5-inch Rock Krawler lift, I can tell you there's nothing wrong with a spacer lift. It rides like stock, and can handle basic off-road driving just fine. Very tame!

Compare the parts that come with the lifts you're looking at, and don't cheap out. You get what you pay for!
It boggles my mind to see someone drop $55-60k on a Rubi and talk about cheap eBay lift kits. Money isn’t the concern as I’ll buy the best lift in the height category I’m looking for. My main concern is keeping geometry and ride quality as close to stock as possible. If I go 1.5” I should be ok with just spacers and bump stops. Anything over 2.0” is a can of worms I don’t want to open with it being my daily driver/young kids hauler. I’m leaning towards the Teraflex 1.5” or the AEV 2.0”, don’t want to go any higher without going with a full on lift kit.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Fuciuguig

At 1.5” I wonder if shock brackets are necessary?

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
What shocks are you going with? I did the 1.5" level/spacer kit on my sport, and looks much better, but don't love the shocks as much since they are being extended out without shock spacers in this lift kit. Was going to put some rubicon take off shocks on to have some that are made to be at that taller height.

IMG_8870.jpg
The rubicons require an extender too with a 1.5" space lift, you should just get some rancho at 99 each, or FOX for slightly more..

Sponsored

Newdeal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
This Kit comes with no shocks but 2" longer and better than OEM shocks are needed and if going with bigger tires, a better steering stab. is a very good idea.
https://www.morris4x4center.com/tuf...MIssT-9daF5AIVAR-GCh2yBg-3EAQYAiABEgKCS_D_BwE

Theres no issue and have had none. Extended bump stops would be a good idea as well so as not to over compress the springs with extreme flex.

My Tire size=305/65 or 32" x12 under load/mounted. 295/70 would be fine also. 315/70 i would recommend 2" bump stops or add Rubicon higher flares.

This was dealer installed and on the lot modified when purchased so I don't know if they adjusted/repositioned any of the brake line supports to allow extra slack. It looks to me that they are still clipped on the LCA's i did notice the front lines are very close to being tight when the front wheels are turned all the way. They also did not add longer shocks and i pointed out it was required and got them to order the shocks I wanted (RS5000X) and i installed them myself. Since they sold me a vehicle not properly modified i did not want them touching my Jeep any more than necessary. They didn't even install the floor matts correctly! I've installed a few lift kits (CJ,YJ and TJ) over the last 30 yrs and when i looked under the Jeep when on the lot..........first thing i noticed was the OEM stock length shocks and the spacers and pointed out it was not installed correctly.

IMG_4860.JPG
Is there any size spacer lift, 1” or 1.5”, that does not require additional modifications (shocks, stabilizer, control arms)? I plan to add 285/70/17 tires and new wheels to my Sahara. Concerned that the tires may look a little cramped, but love the ride with stock set up. Thanks in advance.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any size spacer lift, 1” or 1.5”, that does not require additional modifications (shocks, stabilizer, control arms)? I plan to add 285/70/17 tires and new wheels to my Sahara. Concerned that the tires may look a little cramped, but love the ride with stock set up. Thanks in advance.
Well.........when you move the axle 1.5 or 2" further from the frame, you are extending the shocks by the same amount. So without getting longer shocks they may not have as much downward travel left and limit the suspension from traveling/drooping as far as it should. Heavier/bigger tires need more control as well for steering stab and shocks.
The upgraded shocks and stabilizer are definitely noticeable improvements.
The RS5000X Rancho shocks come in stock length and a different part # for 2-3" lift range.
2" spacers will feel the same as stock and not enough to need other mods other than 2" longer shocks.

You can actually damage the shocks and cause them to leak. If you go into a dip in the road too fast when the springs and shocks rebound and the rear of the jeep comes back up you could be hitting the internal stops in the shocks.

2doorjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2 Door
IMG_0267.jpg
IMG_0271.jpg

^^^^^^This is why manufacturers need to come out with a true 1" to 2" lift. I have no lift and 35s. I want a lift and am afraid of the fender gap. @richk225 I agree with you
What are the tire d
Jeep Wrangler JL 1” or 2” spacer lift IMG_4860.JPG

^^^^^^This is why manufacturers need to come out with a true 1" to 2" lift. I have no lift and 35s. I want a lift and am afraid of the fender gap. @richk225 I agree with you
What are the tire dimensions?

Hd088

First Name
Hassan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler JLU 2021
Clubs

2-inch Rubicon Express Spacer Lift. Rides like a dream, and I can swap springs/shocks when I want to take things to a new level. I'm extremely happy with the outcome. Check the garage in my profile for more pics if interested.

Teraflex with 295 70 17

20210408_184133.jpg
Sponsored