Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
OK, thank you for that information, Rhinebeck!

So, another question along those lines: If one were to drive this way regularly (not using a battery-containing fob), is there any way to delete that ongoing "Key Fob has left the vehicle" message, or to prevent it from being displayed in the first place?

I see in the photo you posted that the display reads "Press OK to clear". So is it just that simple --- pressing "OK" will stop that message from continuing to be displayed?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OK, thank you for that information, Rhinebeck!

So, another question along those lines: If one were to drive this way regularly (not using a battery-containing fob), is there any way to delete that ongoing "Key Fob has left the vehicle" message, or to prevent it from being displayed in the first place?

I see in the photo you posted that the display reads "Press OK to clear". So is it just that simple --- pressing "OK" will stop that message from continuing to be displayed?
NO..

Evic message will clear, and if I remember correctly, message will not reappear until the next time the JL is restarted.

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
NO..

Evic message will clear, and if I remember correctly, message will not reappear until the next time the JL is restarted.
OK, thanks Rhinebeck, that was what I meant (I assume that the message would be displayed each time the Jeep is started.)

gahammerle

First Name
Gordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Bought a 2018 JLU about a month ago. One fob works perfectly. The 2nd fob doesn't work for lock & unlock (even though the red light blinks on the fob) but the remote start does. It also lets me start the Jeep by pushing the start button inside the Jeep. I put a new fob battery in to no avail. Any idea why the lock/unlock won't work?

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Bought a 2018 JLU about a month ago. One fob works perfectly. The 2nd fob doesn't work for lock & unlock (even though the red light blinks on the fob) but the remote start does. It also lets me start the Jeep by pushing the start button inside the Jeep. I put a new fob battery in to no avail. Any idea why the lock/unlock won't work?
If you disassemble the problematic 4 button factory fob and access it's circuit board you will see 4 individual micro switches on the circuit board.

There is a switch for remote start, a switch for panic, a switch for lock and a switch for unlock.

Any one of the switches can become inoperative. For example, a switch can inadvertently separate from the circuit board or just mechanically become problematic.

Since your faulty factory fob does work for remote starts it is apparent that it is programmed to your particular JL.

With the above said, it seems your problematic factory fob has a faulty circuit board / faulty switches.

Note: there is a slight chance that the 2 problematic fob buttons are not working, because the circuit board is not positioned as it should be in the factory fob housing.

If the circuit board is not positioned correctly, when you press a fob button(s) the press pad you are pressing may not make proper contact with the micro switch(s) on the circuit board itself and thus the switch(s) is not activated.

It might be worth your time to disassemble the fob and remove the circuit board. (Easy to do)

With the circuit board out of the fob, and with a fresh, known to be good fob battery placed/secured in the circuit board battery cradle, go to your JL and then individually press each of the 4 small black buttons you find on the circuit board and see if your button pushes coincide with actions on your JL. (You do not need the factory fob housing with the RFID chip in it, with you when doing this)

If all 4 buttons work with the circuit board out of the plastic, factory fob housing then this is indicative that the circuit board placement was at fault for a button(s) not working when the circuit board is in the fob housing. Proper placement of the circuit board when reassembling the factory fob, should see the fob functioning correctly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 threedom

www.mythreedom.com
Designed and Manufactured especially for you, in Minnesota, USA

Cold Weather Alert!! .... an iffy/old fob battery will fail to do it's job when the temps drop significantly..

So, Reminder... Order some CR2450 Fob batteries... and replace the one in your fob(s).

Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 810kMr9+p5L._AC_SL1500_

Whether you have a clunky factory fob or a custom design, smaller Threedom fob, you will need to routinely replace your fob battery.

gahammerle

First Name
Gordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
If you disassemble the problematic 4 button factory fob and access it's circuit board you will see 4 individual micro switches on the circuit board.

There is a switch for remote start, a switch for panic, a switch for lock and a switch for unlock.

Any one of the switches can become inoperative. For example, a switch can inadvertently separate from the circuit board or just mechanically become problematic.

Since your faulty factory fob does work for remote starts it is apparent that it is programmed to your particular JL.

With the above said, it seems your problematic factory fob has a faulty circuit board / faulty switches.

Note: there is a slight chance that the 2 problematic fob buttons are not working, because the circuit board is not positioned as it should be in the factory fob housing.

If the circuit board is not positioned correctly, when you press a fob button(s) the press pad you are pressing may not make proper contact with the micro switch(s) on the circuit board itself and thus the switch(s) is not activated.

It might be worth your time to disassemble the fob and remove the circuit board. (Easy to do)

With the circuit board out of the fob, and with a fresh, known to be good fob battery placed/secured in the circuit board battery cradle, go to your JL and then individually press each of the 4 small black buttons you find on the circuit board and see if your button pushes coincide with actions on your JL. (You do not need the factory fob housing with the RFID chip in it, with you when doing this)

If all 4 buttons work with the circuit board out of the plastic, factory fob housing then this is indicative that the circuit board placement was at fault for a button(s) not working when the circuit board is in the fob housing. Proper placement of the circuit board when reassembling the factory fob, should see the fob functioning correctly.
Thank you.

I did pull the circuit board out and tried the buttons without the case. They work intermittently, so I'm guessing there's some faulty connection either in the buttons or the circuit board.

I suppose replacement circuit boards aren't available anywhere and I'm looking at buying a new FOB from the dealer. :(

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Whether you accidentally placed your factory key fob in the wash, dropped it in a puddle, swam with it, etc., there are plenty of ways you can get your Jeep key fob soaked by accident.

If this happens act quickly, do not delay.

Once you've realized you've gotten your key fob wet, you'll want to get it dried out as soon as you can. The longer you wait, the less likely your JL/JT fob will survive it's accidental bath day.

First off, DO NOT PUSH ANY FOB BUTTONS! Resist the urge to test the fob..

Carefully, turn the fob so it is facing button side downwards and dab the water off the fob with a piece of dry, clean cloth or with dry paper towels.

After doing this lay the fob, still facing button side down, on a dry cloth or on dry paper towels and leave it to drain for a few minutes.

Now, as if you were going to change your CR2045 battery, open the fob up, as shown in the earlier Mopar video.... Pry the side of the plastic case of the factory JL/JT fob off with a flat tip screwdriver. Remember, do not push any fob buttons.

Once you get the plastic case off and have access to the battery, carefully pry out / remove the CR2045 battery.

Let the fob lay on some clean dry paper towels now for a few more minutes..

Give the fob a few minutes to air dry and then with a T6 Torx driver, disassemble the factory fob. (watch the Threedom disassembly video posted earlier in this thread) Do not remove the RFID chip from the fob. The RFID chip is sealed in a water proof coating.

IF you see any water in the fob, use a Q-tip or piece small piece of paper towel to gently absorb that water.

You will have removed the circuit board ... be careful with it, but do gently dab off any water from it... Clean toilet paper dabbed/pressed gently against the circuit board will grab up water/moisture. As for the RFID chip in the fob... remember, leave it be... don't worry about it as it is sealed in a water tight coating.

IF, if your fob had been submersed in Salt Water, at this time using 90% rubbing alcohol, wipe the circuit board carefully with a wet cotton swab (dipped in the 90-percent isopropyl alcohol) to remove any leftover impurities on the circuit and then place the fob back on a clean dry cloth or clean paper towels.

Now.... there are different ideas on what to do next.. some will say seal up the fob and it's inner's (not the battery) in a bag of dry white rice. Leave all sealed up in the bag for 48 hrs. and then remove all the fob parts and reassemble the fob. Install a new CR2045 battery in that JL/JT fob (not the old battery) and then try the fob. Hopefully, you will have a positive result..

The other idea, rather then going the white rice route, is to use a hair dryer to dry the fob... the fob's inners.

Set on a very low heat setting, you spend a few minutes drying all the fobs inners with the hair dryer.

Dry for say 5 min., let the fob and it's inners cool off and then repeat the drying process.

You do this 2-3 times.. Remember, it is critical, not to use to hot a hair dryer, and to dry with the dryer for say 5 min. max, let the fob and it's inners cool off and then repeat the heating process.

After the 2-3 times drying with a hair dryer, Install a new CR2045 battery in that JL/JT fob (not the old battery) and then try the fob. Hopefully, you will have a positive out come.

Important: It's a good idea to replace the battery as a precaution, just in case it was damaged or depleted after the accidental submerging. Before installing the new battery, gently, clean the contacts on the circuit board with 90% isopropyl alcohol and let it dry before installing that new battery.

The above info is meant to be helpful... Threedom offers the preceding so you have an idea how to handle a soaked JL/JT factory key fob. Use the above info at your own risk... Threedom is in hopes that your fob survives it's accidental bath day but....
In 2022 we don’t dry electronics with hair dryers

Air fryer, 150-170ish degrees, dehydrate setting, leave in for like a hour

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Also I went on your website to buy a keyfob. I saw like 2 different product descriptions for the mini one, and neither page had a easy checkout option.

you def need to make shopping online more intuitive

how much are the mini’s?
Is there any water resistance?

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
I have an extra fob from my 22 that was totaled, 23 JLUR on the way. Can I buy a new RFID chip for that fob, program it and have a third fob for the new Jeep? The plan is to stuff the third key in a faraday bag and have a hide a key.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
I have an extra fob from my 22 that was totaled, 23 JLUR on the way. Can I buy a new RFID chip for that fob, program it and have a third fob for the new Jeep? The plan is to stuff the third key in a faraday bag and have a hide a key.
You can indeed have a 3rd RFID chip programmed and then you would have 3 programmed RFID chips that work with your JL.

You have to find somewhere to source the new RFID chip from though...

Reactions: LKG
OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
In 2022 we don’t dry electronics with hair dryers

Air fryer, 150-170ish degrees, dehydrate setting, leave in for like a hour
This is the year 2023 and most people still do not have an air fryer.

With that said, sure you could use an air fryer. I do believe "150-170ish" is a higher then prudent to use.

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Also I went on your website to buy a keyfob. I saw like 2 different product descriptions for the mini one, and neither page had a easy checkout option.

you def need to make shopping online more intuitive

how much are the mini’s?
Is there any water resistance?
The questions you ask can be found at http://www.mythreedom.com

Our website is presently being redesigned and the new website will be live in a few weeks.

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
Does the proximity function (walk up and touch the handle to unlock) depend only on the RFID chip, or the active transponder in the remote? So if I pull the chip out and put in your key holder, could I still be super lazy or would I have to actually insert the key in the door like a primitive?

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Does the proximity function (walk up and touch the handle to unlock) depend only on the RFID chip, or the active transponder in the remote? So if I pull the chip out and put in your key holder, could I still be super lazy or would I have to actually insert the key in the door like a primitive?
The RFID chip does not come into play in regard to Proximity.

The fob's circuit board, powered by the fob battery is what comes into play in regard to Proximity.
Sponsored