🪛 Factory Key Fob 101 - What's inside .. Disassembly and more..

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
threedom.jpg

www.mythreedom.com
JL/JT offerings Designed and Manufactured in Minnesota, USA

IF you have any questions, ask away...

IF you have something to say regarding the disassembly, etc., let's hear it.. Help thy fellow JL /JT owner..

iii.jpg

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Model S+ US Flag02.jpg

For those that want a Threedom fob but ...."lack the patience" to deal with the RFID chip removal..

There is another way so to speak...

You can disassemble the factory fob and leave the RFID chip alone/leave it in it's holder in the fob casing/shell.

Just take the circuit board, battery, key with the roll pin, and with those, easily easily assemble your Threedom fob.

That assembled Threedom fob will be all you need to have/use for your day to day use of your JT/JL. You do not need the RFID chip in the JL/JT fob. All you need is a programmed for your vehicle circuit board and a healthy CR2045 battery inside the Threedom fob and your key.

You do want to have that RFID chip handy though, as if your fob battery dies, the fob gets wet and no longer works, etc. you will need the RFID chip so you can start your JT/JL and get home.. See my post earlier in this thread showing / explaining how to start with the RFID alone... Read this post over carefully.

So... with that said, you can without issue, use the Threedom fob without having the RFID chip in it.... but you would want to take that disassembled factory JT/JL fob with the RFID chip in it and stash it well / hide it well, in the vehicle so that if/when that day comes, that you need to use the RFID chip to start the vehicle, that you will have the RFID chip with you/with the vehicle.

Threedom encourages guy/gals to move the RFID chip to their new Threedom fob when they assemble it but again, this work around lets call it, can be used. You decide whether this work around is a way to go for you.

For sure, there are many that do not feel comfortable trying to / dealing with, the removal of the RFID chip from the factory fob.. This work around is A WAY, for them to not deal with the RFID chip and still enjoy having/using a terrific Threedom fob...

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey quick Q for you. If I go w a smaller Fob, if the key w Rfid chip is hidden under hood / taoed somewhere would that work? Or I guess it could just be placed on keychain.

What are most people doing?

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Hey quick Q for you. If I go w a smaller Fob, if the key w Rfid chip is hidden under hood / taoed somewhere would that work? Or I guess it could just be placed on keychain.

What are most people doing?
@TJP

I encourage you to read though this whole thread. Do that and you will have a better understanding of how the RFID chip comes in to play. After reading, if you have ? come back with them..

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I read the thread and its helpful. I guess what was on my mind is using your keyholder to hold the chip vs the fob. But if I was to stash the key on jeep it would make better sense to keep chip w fob.

Looking forward to ordering.

@TJP

I encourage you to read though this whole thread. Do that and you will have a better understanding of how the RFID chip comes in to play. After reading, if you have ? come back with them..

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Can the fobs from my wrecked JL Rubicon be reprogramed to be used on my new JL Rubicon?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
Can the fobs from my wrecked JL Rubicon be reprogramed to be used on my new JL Rubicon?
@kah.mun.rah

Over the last 4+ years, there have been a few forum posts saying the JL / JT fob, once programmed to one JL / JT can't be programmed to another JL / JT.... Nothing definitive has ever been posted regarding this though.

Also mentioned.... is that the dealer needs to program a new JL /JT fob along with your new fob when you get it... Another words a dealer needs you to bring in your other fob so they can program at the same time.... Anyway, this has been said but then there have been posts where guys say the dealer programmed without the other fob there... Again, nothing definite about this either..

Another thing mentioned on the forum occasionally is that you can only have 2 fobs programmed to a JL / JT. For me this thought was debunked as dealership programmed a 3rd fob for me... Yes, I have 3 working fobs..

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
threedom.jpg

https://mythreedom.com

Not every JL/JT owner is familiar with what is inside of a factory JL / JT key fob...

IF you have any questions, ask away... IF you have something to say regarding the disassembly, etc., let's hear it.. Help thy fellow JL /JT owner..

JL / JT Factory Key Fob Disassembled
stock-fob-guts.jpg

2323.jpg

Factory JL /JT key fob disassembly video click here.
disassembly.jpg

Tri-City Jeep