Sponsored

🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey quick Q for you. If I go w a smaller Fob, if the key w Rfid chip is hidden under hood / taoed somewhere would that work? Or I guess it could just be placed on keychain.

What are most people doing?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Hey quick Q for you. If I go w a smaller Fob, if the key w Rfid chip is hidden under hood / taoed somewhere would that work? Or I guess it could just be placed on keychain.

What are most people doing?
@TJP

I encourage you to read though this whole thread. Do that and you will have a better understanding of how the RFID chip comes in to play. After reading, if you have ? come back with them..

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I read the thread and its helpful. I guess what was on my mind is using your keyholder to hold the chip vs the fob. But if I was to stash the key on jeep it would make better sense to keep chip w fob.

Looking forward to ordering.

@TJP

I encourage you to read though this whole thread. Do that and you will have a better understanding of how the RFID chip comes in to play. After reading, if you have ? come back with them..

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Can the fobs from my wrecked JL Rubicon be reprogramed to be used on my new JL Rubicon?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Can the fobs from my wrecked JL Rubicon be reprogramed to be used on my new JL Rubicon?
@kah.mun.rah

Over the last 4+ years, there have been a few forum posts saying the JL / JT fob, once programmed to one JL / JT can't be programmed to another JL / JT.... Nothing definitive has ever been posted regarding this though.

Also mentioned.... is that the dealer needs to program a new JL /JT fob along with your new fob when you get it... Another words a dealer needs you to bring in your other fob so they can program at the same time.... Anyway, this has been said but then there have been posts where guys say the dealer programmed without the other fob there... Again, nothing definite about this either..

Another thing mentioned on the forum occasionally is that you can only have 2 fobs programmed to a JL / JT. For me this thought was debunked as dealership programmed a 3rd fob for me... Yes, I have 3 working fobs..

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 threedom

https://mythreedom.com

Not every JL/JT owner is familiar with what is inside of a factory JL / JT key fob...

IF you have any questions, ask away... IF you have something to say regarding the disassembly, etc., let's hear it.. Help thy fellow JL /JT owner..

JL / JT Factory Key Fob Disassembled
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 stock-fob-guts

Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 2323

Factory JL /JT key fob disassembly video click here.
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 disassembly

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 threedom

www.mythreedom.com
Designed and Manufactured in Minnesota, USA

Key Fob has Left the Vehicle ... when your fob is in the vehicle, replace your fob's battery!
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 567gvhbn

CR2450 Fob battery... Whether you have a clunky factory fob or a custom design, smaller Threedom fob, you will need to routinely replace your fob battery.

Last edited:

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
IF, you use the door lock button to lock and set the system alarm, when you come back later to the JL/JT and use your key to open the door..... the door will unlock and the alarm will sound/honk honk honk..
Is there any way, like with a Tazer, to disable the alarm from triggering as long as you use the RFID chip to unlock and start the Jeep?

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Is there any way, like with a Tazer, to disable the alarm from triggering as long as you use the RFID chip to unlock and start the Jeep?
To the best of our knowledge no.

By the way, you can not "unlock" the JL with the RFID chip. Yes, you can start a JL with just the RFID chip but again, you cannot unlock the vehicle with the RFID chip. You need to use the cut key to unlock.

Sponsored

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
To the best of our knowledge no.

By the way, you can not "unlock" the JL with the RFID chip. Yes, you can start a JL with just the RFID chip but again, you cannot unlock the vehicle with the RFID chip. You need to use the cut key to unlock.
Shame. That would allow for creating a ring or bracelet to hold the chip and then just use that instead of carrying a fob. Would be great for water sports cause it's it's waterproof.

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
Dear Threedom,

What if one were to use your RFID chip-containing key, or one of your fobs with the chip in it, but with NO battery, leaving either of those in the Jeep, and using one of them to press start the ignition button, while unlocking the doors each time with the blade key?

Would the Jeep forever keep displaying "Key Fob Low Battery" in that case? And does that dash warning remain on for as long as the Jeep is running?

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
Dear Threedom,

What if one were to use your RFID chip-containing key, or one of your fobs with the chip in it, but with NO battery, leaving either of those in the Jeep, and using one of them to press start the ignition button, while unlocking the doors each time with the blade key?

Would the Jeep forever keep displaying "Key Fob Low Battery" in that case? And does that dash warning remain on for as long as the Jeep is running?
@Chugiakguy

If there is no battery powered, programmed to your JL, factory fob circuit board in the vehicle, you will see an EVIC message.

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
@Chugiakguy

If there is no battery powered, programmed to your JL, factory fob circuit board in the vehicle, you will see an EVIC message.
OK, thanks, although you will have to explain to me what an "EVIC" message is.

And would that message display continuously, as long as the Jeep were running, or would it only display for a certain amount of time just after starting the Jeep (by pressing the non-batttery-containing fob or key to the ignition button)?

In other words, I know that the Jeep CAN be started by pushing a key or fob that contains JUST the RFID chip directly against the ignition button --- what I am wondering is, what are the possible ramifications, or annoyances, of doing that regularly?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
EVIC, Electronic Vehicle Information Center .... the message you see displayed in front of you..

Take a minute to take your fob battery out of the factory fob and then go to your JL and start it using the end of the fob with the RFID chip in it. (Read earlier post by Threedom in this thread, regarding starting with the RFID chip)

Now, take your JL for a drive. What you see is what you get so to speak..

You will see your JL behaves as it is always does when you are driving it ...but you will see an EVIC message. Message can/may be intermittent or ongoing.

Other then the EVIC message being displayed, no, there are no "possible ramifications, or annoyances, of doing that regularly?."

Example of an EVIC message below.
Jeep Wrangler JL 🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 567gvhbn
Sponsored